5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Published on 21 Dec 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Does you good
A great read and therapeutic too! Learned about myself between the lines. A life changing book. What will I do now?
Published 13 months ago by Gillsy

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 21 Dec 2005
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
I was given a dog-eared copy of this book while in a rehab centre in Dublin and found it wonderful. The book is written on Marion Keyes own experiences and manages to give an incredibly accurate account of "life inside" without being bogged down with sentamental tales of suffering or sounding like a martyr. It is uplifting, funny and very honest. I for one found it a great help in my recovery, and would even go so far as saying, the fact Rachel is so funny and normal she helped me admit I had a problem and not feel like a freak ! I also lent it to my mum and sisters to help them understand my state of mind at the time. If you or anyone you know has a problem with drugs or alcohol please buy this book, and if you don't, buy it anyway. It's really good. I have read everything she has published since, she is a fantastic storyteller !
ps and that original copy is still doing the rounds as far as I know !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I never tire of this book, 11 July 2004
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
Having read Rachel's Holiday for the first time 5 years ago, I've since read and re-read it and I just never tire of it. It's more than a girly read. It has more depth than that. I've read all Marian Keyes books and this one by far is her best and strongest novel. However if you plan on reading Rachel's Holiday (which I strongly urge you to do) first read Watermelon,Rachel's Holiday and then Angels. They are a triology of (what I hope will be 5 books) 5 sisters. The Walsh sisters. Claire (Watermelon), Rachel's Holiday (Rachel) and Angels (Maggie). I'm already looking forward to reading about Anna and especially the hilarious Helen.
(PS There was a tv drama based loosly on Watermelon which was awful and not a patch on the great read that it is - that's just by the by!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rachel's Holiday - my first Marian Keyes read, 8 May 2006
E. B. Harrison (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
This was the first time I came across Marian Keyes - Rachel's Holiday (a birthday present).

This was also the first time I had read a girlie escapist novel and laughed out loud - not sniggered or smiled to myself, but roared with laughter at the selfish and misguided well portrayed character, Rachel. Highly recommended introduction to Marian Keyes writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best I have ever read, 7 Feb 2002
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
Rachel's Holiday is about another sister in the Walsh family written about in Marian Keyes' Watermelon. Rachel is the middle sister, an Irish emigree living in New York with Brigit, her best friend from Dublin. They seem to be having a normal time in NYC, partying away while taking the occasional drugs ....
Then Brigit finds Rachel overdosed on drugs and her family takes Rachel back to Ireland to rehab at a place called the Cloisters. She does not understand why she is there, it's all a big misunderstanding, she's not really an addict, but the Cloisters has a reputation for having celebrities and there should be a gym, sauna, massage .... heck, she'll stay to please everyone and leave in 2 weeks.
Through a series of flashbacks by Rachel and visits from her parents and friends in her group therapy, the true extent of Rachel's problem unfolds to both the reader and Rachel herself. Intertwined in this is her relationship with Luke from NYC and how drugs destroyed it as well.
In short, a great read, written in a fun style, which you wouldn't think you'd get with such serious subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and witty, 15 Aug 2004
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
Rachel Walsh is the middle child from a family of five, is abnormally tall, has size 8 feet, and is fed up. She's left Ireland, and is sharing a flat with Bridgit, her best friend in New York. She's bagged herself a gorgeous boyfriend called Luke, and has a dazzling social life. Or does she?
When she wakes up in hospital the next day, she can't work out why she's there. Surely Bridgit didn't call an ambulance because she took a few too many drugs the night before? (just to make herself feel better of course).
It soon emerges that Rachel has a serious drug problem. Her parents are understandably worried, so decide to send her to the Cloisters, a drug rehabilitation center. Of course Rachel doesn't need to go, she's just doing it for everyone else. Or is she?
Rachel is contracted to stay at the Cloisters for two months, and she soon realises that it is not going to be a piece of cake. No celebrities, gym or health spa, just her, the other inmates and the tough councillor.
As Rachel goes back in time to establish the cause of her addiction, we see what she really is inside: a lonely, low self esteemed young woman. We see how her actions have affected people around her, and we see how far she has to go to really quash her addiction.
This book was absolutely brilliant, and I could really understand how the characters felt due to the clear and accurate writing of Marian Keyes. Rachel's holiday is a must read, as it is chick-lit on a new level. I would say that is the best book that Marian Keyes has written, far better than Angels and Watermelon. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY, WITTY AND TERRIFYINGLY TRUE TO LIFE!, 13 Jun 1999
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
I first read Keyes in hospital during my pregnancy. it was Watermelon, and I hadn't laughed so much in years. After reading Lucy Sullivan, I eagerly grabbed my copy of Rachel's Holiday and tucked in. This book didn't disappoint. On the contrary, I could not put it down. The story grabs you. Having read Watermelon, I felt as if I already knew the family and the old familiar feel helped to jig the story along. Rachel seems so sweet, but a bit like every girl I've known. Where Keyes really excels is that Rachel is an addict and we see life from her point of view. It is scarey. Like a rollercoaser out of control at times. Yet Rachel has a problem and Keyes really gets at the heart of it. This is a truly wonderful read. it is therapeutic, and should be given to all people trying to quit a habit. perhaps doctors should prescribe it on the NHS! BUY, BUY, BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marian Keyes. . . . i think i love you!, 30 Jun 2005
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
Quite simply. . . . .Rachels Holiday is one of the best books i have ever read. I know there are plenty of other reviews on this book, all undoubtedly saying the same as me. . .but i had to let you all know my opinion.
Rachel is a young Irish woman in New York, a recreational drug taker and a real party girl. When one evening she takes too many drugs, writes what she thinks is poetry but is taken as a suicide note, slips into a coma and has to have her stomach pumped to save her; her family arrive and take her back to Ireland where she agrees to go into rehab only because she will meet celebrities, work out in the gym and eat fabulous food. Needless to say, its not quite like that.
This book is thought provoking, unbelievably hilarious while tackling such a majorly serious subject, heartwarming, tearjerking, upsetting and mostly, the biggest love story out of any of Keyes' books.
Rachel is a wonderful character who is written in the first person style (definately one of Keyes' greatest talents), a person you will love, scorn, cry for and laugh with. She is hilarious, heartbreaking, annoying and wonderful. The greatest of all Marian Keyes' characters.
I cannot urge you to read this book enough. It takes a serious matter and shows you every which way of looking at it. Its not a book which urges you to use drugs, nor scorns those that do, its not a lecture or attempt at changing society. Its simply a great book, written by an author with true talent who knows how to make a book last forever in your memory. For all those that have done the drug thing and come out the other side then read this. For all those who want a book that will touch you to the core and make you realise how good your life is. . . .read read read!
Marian Keyes. . . .i salute you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtably one of the best books ever written!, 15 Oct 1999
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
Marian Keyes is absolutely my favourite author. If she wrote a shopping list, I'd read it. And laugh my head off. I first read "Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married" in 4 hours whilst lying on a beach in Barbados (annoying my boyfriend by reading nearly every line out loud to him and laughing hysterically) and have since devoured all her other books. I've just finished her latest, "Last Chance Saloon" which I enjoyed very much but it's when she writes in the first person, as she does in "Rachel's Holiday" when she really comes into her own. I read this book on holiday (Cyprus this time - don't I get around!) and stayed up reading till 3.30am to finish it. I read the end 4 times, sobbing all the while, then got up again at 8.30am to read it all over again. I could totally identify with everything Rachel goes through - and I don't even drink, let alone take drugs! Please buy this book and while you're about it, buy all the other titles from Miss Keyes as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does you good, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Five Stars, 7 Sep 2001
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
I cannot praise this book enough. It definitely transcends the genre of British Chick Lit (and don't get me wrong, I'm a big CL fan). It's funny and witty and full of romance, but it's also dark, shockingly painful, and full of realistic loneliness. Keye's masterful storytelling sucks you in - the books starts out breezy and full of laughs (even though we find Rachel, our protagonist, in the hospital after she's almost killed herself with an overdose). Her family whisks her out of New York City and back to Ireland, to rehab. The use of flashbacks can be tricky - in the hands of less adept writers, they're jarring and annoying - but Keye's uses flashbacks to carefully reveal to us just what a horrible, horrible mess Rachel was. At the same time, you get inside Rachel's head, and despite what a wretched mess she is, you start rooting for her. The supporting cast is perfect, and they evolve too - as you read, Luke moves from a macho caricature to a wonderful, sweet man (that the old Rachel truly didn't deserve!) But how many of us have had times in our lives when we felt about a wonderful guy the same way that the "bad" Rachel did about Luke - too caught up in what was supposed to be cool to notice the things that really matter. I especially found sister Helen to be a hoot - at first I didn't like her character, but by the end you see that she loves Rachel in her own way and wants her to be well. Overall, you get much more than just a piece of lightweight fluff with "Rachel's Holiday", it's funny and ultimately romantic, true. But it's thought-provoking and inspirational, as well. I'd also recommend "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" but Rachel's Holiday is in a class of its own. (Although I do have "Watermelon" in my stack of books to read - the story of Rachel's big sister.)

ARRAY(0xb3a1bc9c)

Rachel's Holiday
Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes (Hardcover - 26 Feb 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01