5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely and entertaining read, a book to get lost in.
Published on 24 Oct 1999 by fred.ward@tesco.net

3.0 out of 5 stars want to give it 5
Published 7 months ago by cowwalk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely and entertaining read, a book to get lost in., 24 Oct 1999
fred.ward@tesco.net (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Peaceful Retirement (Paperback)
Miss Read, again manages to captivate the feelings of those who to are approaching retirement; and also of those who aren't. Her characters are all someone you know in your own life. Always feeling that they could be so and so. I always felt as if I was included in the story, like I was a friend. I'm an avid reader of her books but it seems this is the last one? She puts such warmth and feeling into this book it spills out from every page. It is obvious that her friends are as devoted to her as she is to them whatever happens. The frequent requests of marriage from John Jenkins are bittersweet and has nearly succumb once or twice. Her lifelong friend Amy, trying so hard to matchmake over the years, tries not to let John Jenkins slip through Miss Reads' fingers but alas fails again. She gets great support from Henry Mawne, who has also been a suitor in the past but Miss Read also gently refused him. She looks forward to retirement with joy and some trepidation, however handles the situation very well. I hope there will be more stories from her in the not to distant future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another gentle and charming book from my favourite author, 6 Feb 2002
This review is from: A Peaceful Retirement (Paperback)
A change in direction with not only retirement but marriage proposals as well for my most loved fictional character. With all of the Fairacre books, a book I have read over and over - only with particular sadness as it appears that this may be the final book. I found the illustrations a bit off putting - part of my love of Miss Read's books are due to J Goodall's beautiful illustrations - not that these are bad, just not what previous readers may be used to. My only complaint is that it is too short!

3.0 out of 5 stars want to give it 5, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Peaceful Retirement (Paperback)
I love all books by Miss Read. However, they were written over a fifty year time span. The later books were written by Dora Saint when she herself was quite an old woman and I think it shows. In all three of the final Fairacre novels she still writes well and paints amusing and sympathetic portraits of her characters. However the books suffer from slightly loose main plots and some subplots that don't really go anywhere. Also one has to suspend disbelief in the case of her pupils, such as Joseph Coggs, who seem to have been at primary school for about twenty years. I think Dora Saint knew how popular these pupil characters were and didn't want to have them move up to secondary school. So whilst I enjoyed the book, I also recognised it faults and unfortunately cannot give it five stars. The first of the Thrush Green novels however is in my opinion a perfect work in terms of structure and writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Miss Read read, 13 Aug 2011
D. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Peaceful Retirement (Paperback)
A Christmas present for my wife, the collection is the usual whimsy, an easy read ideal for drifting off to sleep to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
A good read more interesting than village affairs .

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, 15 Mar 2014
i have read this book so many times its a happy feeling book when reading it you feel like you know the poeple in it i love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read., 9 Dec 2013
Found this to be a really good read got very engrossed in the Characters and the story would recommend this to my friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy memories!, 9 Oct 2013
I have read it before, but it is well worth re-reading!
One of many books I have enjoyed more than once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Apeaceful retirement, 18 July 2013
This review is from: A Peaceful Retirement (Paperback)
The title leads you to think of it as the end of all these books but this is not quite the case

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for bed time, 21 April 2013
Another from my favourite author, a relaxing visit to old friends . I find her books a great way to relax before sleep.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Peaceful Retirement
A Peaceful Retirement by Miss Read (Hardcover - 5 Sep 1996)
Used & New from: 0.01