4.0 out of 5 stars Almost beautiful, except for the gravy stains
Published on 6 May 2002 by Mr. T. Sturrock

Published 9 months ago by P. J. Dunn

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost beautiful, except for the gravy stains, 6 May 2002
Mr. T. Sturrock "timsturrock" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This is my favourite of the '..according to Spike Milligan books' - I queued up to get a signed copy when he visited Austicks bookshop in Leeds back in 1995. The queue stretched out the door and down the Headrow, I remember opening my copy and starting to read; I had to stop before I even got to the end of the first page because I was laughing so much it was getting embarassing.
What Milligan has done is take the Bronte story and transfer it to a mad universe where Heathcliffe is a Pakistani and Cathy does farmyard impressions; in fact every character is completely insane. Towards the end Milligan seems to get bored with the whole process, but there are plenty of moments before this that will have you laughing until your guts ache. Providing you appreciate Milligan of course; if you've never understood his humour you'll hate this - the rest of us can dip into this and savour his lunatic visions; the world's a sadder place without him in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Making Heathcliff Pakistani teeters on the edge of being funny, 29 April 2014
P. J. Dunn "Peter Dunn" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Well I like Spike Milligan and I like Wuthering Heights so what’s not to like – well this book sadly. There are a few weak Milligan signature puns and jokes based on his favourite over literal use of words, or their double meanings, but it didn’t ever really raise a laugh for me. Making Heathcliff Pakistani teeters on the edge of being funny but even that pales quickly. I sadly couldn’t even force myself to finish this short book so I do concede, and indeed hope, that I am doing it an injustice and that the second half really is much better.

Wuthering Heights According to Spike Milligan
Wuthering Heights According to Spike Milligan by Spike Milligan (Hardcover - 17 Oct. 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01