on 13 May 2012
An amzing, accurate account of the fight for Paschendale in all its horror with personal recollections. Not a book for the faint hearted as nothing is left out.
on 3 July 2013
Very good read and excellent for researching family who had to fight in the Great War.

With this book I found exactly where my uncle was killed
on 11 July 2013
A good quality book.
A moving account of the First world War.
I would recommend this book to my friends.
Very pleased.
on 29 October 2014
I have always been interested in 1st World history and recently visited Ypres and Passchendaele, seeing many of the places that are referred to in this excellent book. The detail is incredible but never overwhelming and I learnt so much more than I thought I would. The stories of the soldiers are harrowing and bring the horrors of this first terrible world war to life.
I shall be looking to see what other of Lyn MacDonalds books I can now read
on 8 August 2014
Extremely informative, yet heart wrenching due to some of the personal account and detail given. There is a lot of the references for places and events which can still be visited around the area of Ypres and Passchendale still (ie the German pillboxes that are still located in Tyne Cot cemetery).
Still extremely difficult to understand what it must have been like but a lot of these accounts do paint a very harrowing picture.
on 14 December 2013
.This is the second book I bought by Lyn MacDonald and again she has done a great job and a lot of research went into the writing of this. Based on stories and letters from the men that actually took part t shows the absolute horror it must have been. So difficult to imagine when you have seen the peaceful landscape as it now stands. The cemetery of Passchendaele is a true tribute to the soldiers buried there
on 22 April 2015
My grandfather lost his leg at Passchendaele and felt that it was a fair price to pay so that he did not have to go back there. He would never talk about his experience, as it was so horrific, and this book makes me understand why. The personal accounts of the battle describe a nightmarish world of mechanised slaughter where men's lives were worth little more than the rats', their constant companions.
on 10 December 2015
Well laid out and informative factually correct. I bought this as a gift for my husband whose great uncle died there and served with the Devonshire regiment. Overall an excellent book for learning about the Great War. I would recommend it to anyone, as it was easy to read and understand. Good for students looking for reading material on WW1 and military history.
on 29 May 2014
I purchasd this book as 'recommended reading matter for a Battlefields of WWI Tour' to be undertaken shortly. This appears to be a great introduction to the Battlefields tour; the inside pages have a 1914 WEST FLANDERS map of The Battleground areas, putting into perspective the whole area surrounding Ypres and the major battlegrounds.
on 18 April 2015
Excellent book, with great background information and good use of first hand accounts to illustrate the appalling conditions endured by soldiers in the Ypres Salient.