Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 March 2002
This book is not only packed with numerous recipes but it also suggests many tricks of the trade. How to segment citrus fruits would be a good example. It also has many recipes for those with food intolerances such as gluten free béchamel sauce. Containing excellent photography without overtaking the space this book is also an interesting read; along the lines of Elizabeth David. If you really want to improve your skills without the price tag of the cookery schools this is an excellent beginning. Even for cooks with established skills it still contains a wealth of information. It may appear more expensive than many other cookery books on the market but if you only have one cookery book this should be it. Everything you need to know is covered in it. I wholeheartedly recommend this book because it manages to cover so many areas without coming across as daunting.
on 8 September 2006
I have managed restaurants and worked in kitchen's for years and a chef who trained at Darina's cookery school recommended this for me. The book is amazing, it covers every flavour and ingredient with an enormous variety of recipes. The instructions are really easy to follow and there's even step by step instructions on how to make difficult pastry and julienne carrots. I can not recommend this book enough, I have probably around 50 cookery books but I rarely bother reading them as this book has so much to offer.
on 11 October 2007
If you have a reasonable knowledge of food (just what it looks like - the book will tell you how to cook it) then this is a must have. It is the first book I turn to when I have an idea what I'm trying to cook or want to recreate a dish I ate in a restaurant, but need advice on timings, method, ingredient quantities etc. I agree that it might not be as visually inspiring as some books because it isn't full of photos, but personally I don't need photos of most of the dishes I want to cook - I can imagine a leg of lamb, a caserole, a crumble, a pasta dish etc etc for myself. If fewer photos means I get ten times as many recipes as most books have then I'm OK with that! If I could only have one cookbook this would be it. From a shelf of maybe 40 or so cookbooks not one comes anywhere close to covering more of the dishes I cook throughout the year than this one does. The only way I can describe it to someone considering buying it is that it's a bit like having every book Delia has ever written all rolled into one.
on 25 November 2005
I found the Ballymaloe Cookery Course an excellent reference guide for all my cooking needs. It is packed full of delicious recipes for every ingredient you might have in your cupboards. It is really easy to follow and any of the meals I have prepared from this books have really impressed my dinner guests. It also has lots of useful kitchen tips. If you like tasty, easy to prepare food, this is the book for you.
on 18 December 2011
Having purchased this book 10 years on a whim Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course cookbook IT Turns out to be a very good choice.
It says on the front that it's 'the cook's bible' and I'd have to agree. There are 28 index pages altogether, that's an awful lot of recipes! Darina Allen is the mother-in-law of Rachel Allen and the founder of the Ballymaloe Cookery School in County Cork. This cookery book is an updated version that was originally released in 2001 and aims to teach the kinds of recipes that Daria teachers in her school. There are a whopping 24 chapters as well as a comprehensive introduction which includes kitchen safety, store cupboard basics and using the freezer. There is also a conversion chart and a great glossary.
As this is such a huge cookbook there isn't room for a photo per recipe, sometimes there are 5 or 6 recipes per 2 pages as well as variations; but there some lovely photos of how to perform certain tasks just as rolling spring rolls or how to line tartlet cases.
Each chapter starts with some background to the ingredients and how to source the best items you can. The Fish and Seafood chapter for example explains how to buy fresh fish and shellfish, even how to pick up lobsters and crabs so they don't pinch you. She then gives you guidance on how to prepare a whole salmon, how to fillet flat fish or skin Dover Sole. Throughout the book there are master recipes which would give anyone a great range of basic recipes to build on, then there are hundreds of variations and other recipe ideas.
on 13 December 2005
Darina Allen runs the world-reknowned Ballymaloe Cookery School in Ireland and the writing and recipes in this book show exactly why the school is so famous. Easy to follow and hugely comprehensive, Darina tackles just about everything you're ever likely to cook in a simple, no-nonsense manner.
on 5 August 2005
This is an excellent example of how to teach people to cook well and without fear and pomposity.
It explains the importance of good ingredients and takes away the fear of many culinary techniques by it's common sense and practical approach
on 24 March 2007
I'm so glad I came accross this book. Any time I think or hear of something I would like to cook, is nearly always in this book. It covers all the basics of cooking and preparing food and it gives a huge variety of different recipes from the simple types to the more difficult.
on 14 February 2013
This really is the bible of cooking. Simple and easy to understand. forget all those celebrity chefs. Vast amount of recipes
on 25 March 2013
this is the only cokery book anyone ever needs to own, if you follow the recipie you cant go wrong.