5.0 out of 5 stars A superb framework for spiritual practice, 15 Feb 2009
I have been using this book regularly for 12 years. (I am 63) I have found it an enormous support. It is an essential part of my life. I found it (or it found me) when things were so difficult I honestly feared for my sanity. Somehow it gave me a sense of real connection to things other than those which were so distressing. This was not, however, merely "escapism". This support enabled me to hold to my path which eventually took me, and others, to a better place. Despite ongoing major concerns for my children, depite having become disabled and just about "house-bound"I still feel I have been given the "freedom of the universe". I know we're in for another "sticky patch". (My husband has just been diagnosed with cancer), but the fear of not being able to cope is very much reduced by the past experience of "coming through". This book, and the attitudes and patterns I have learned from it have been truly helpful in dicovering what "the good life" (and death!) means to me and in trying to live it day on day. I have added in bits of spiritual practice from other traditions (e.g. Bhuddist mindfulness and compassion meditation, some elements of Celtic Christianity - the Celtic Devotional is not specifically in the Christian tradition). I don't think there is anything in the Celtic Devotional that would conflict with any other spiritual tradition that is based on the principles of love, gratitude, service - and joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless life-companion and guide, 5 Oct 2010
I have found this book indispensable for the last 7 years or so. As others have remarked, it gives a framework for daily devotions. The book is divided into the four quarters of the Celtic year: Samhain (Winter), Imbolc (Spring), Beltane (Summer), and Lughnasadh (Autumn). In each season, Caitlin Matthews gives Morning and Evening devotional frameworks for one week. The idea is that the twice-daily devotional practice (which takes around 5 minutes in my experience) will fortify you in the morning as you face the day, and calm you at night, preparing you for trouble-free sleep.

Both the Morning and the Evening devotions are highly structured and use powerful language full of beautiful images drawn from all over the cosmos. You can adapt it to fit your own beliefs, but really it is quite usable as is, with few exceptions. It is best to completely familiarise yourself with how to use the book (section at the beginning) and the design and intent of the devotions.

The beauty and comfort of this book, cannot be adequately expressed, only experienced at the deepest levels. It works both for inner development and for reaching out to others and preparing oneself for both day and nighttime. When my Mum passed away I used it twice daily for a couple of months and it was invaluable.

Recently I have returned to using it as it should be, twice daily, every day. The few minutes of silence and honesty, of deep meditation (Solar Question in the morning, Lunar Meditation at night), prayer, thanksgiving, and blessing, plus the protection drawn to oneself, are beyond price.

Caitlin Matthews has done a great service in producing this book. There are small errors of language and punctuation which a good proofread would sort out - and of course this should be reprinted.

I would replace the Gideon Bible with this in every hotel room in the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cellebration of life..., 31 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This beautifully written and crafted book brings home the delight with which the celts celebrated the world around them. It offers the reader a basis for their own daily devotions, thoughts to meditate on as well as prayers for special days and occasions. I have found it a lovely book to use and to learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing the sacred into everyday life, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings (Hardcover)
This wonderful blessing and prayer book has become like an Anam Cara (Soul friend) through continued use over the years as it has helped me to tune both into myself and the unity of all in nature. The book provides evening and morning prayers, blessings and questions for each day divided into the four Celtic seasons of the year. There are futher helpful sections on meditation techniques and suggestions and extra prayers and blessings for specific needs or rites of passage throughout life. Personally, using this book has created a truly beautiful way of bringing the sacred into my everyday life and enabled me to converse with the still centre of my being.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Celtic star, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings (Hardcover)
This book has become one of the most important books that I own. I even take it with me on holidays. The blessings and prayers within follow the Celtic year and often somehow seem to correlate with how i am feeling at that time. I have found it to be supportive and helpful. It has helped me greatly with my personal spiritual practise. as someone who is outdoors (a lot) i can see just how the seasons change and charge. I recommend this book to all. The illustrations, taken from various Celtic manuscripts are lovely and the recommendations on focus of thoughts, and ideas that Caitlin Matthews gives for each day and night are welcome and insightful. Care has been taken with the construction of this. I also like the focus of the Celtic seasons as well. Blessed be.

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeply comfortable practice, 29 July 2014
Actually I more than like it. I've been using the book for about a week and it's clear that the writer of this book understands what need she's fulfilling. It manages to be non-prescriptive whilst still giving you quite a good structure for devotions. Firm yet adaptable. Clear yet mysterious. There is genius in it. I find myself moving within it to my own song somewhat. I feel free to make movements, invent a little dance with the weaving of the protective belt. Incorporate a few yoga salutes to the sun. Yet none of my adaptations are because of irritation or distaste. The tone is poetical and symbolic without being prescriptively metaphysical like Christianity, yet Christianity is not deflected in any way: one could incorporate it. She uses myth, symbol, folklore the miracles of nature around us to go to the heart of one's relationship with a higher self/the divine/the cycles of being and doesn't ask that I believe in anything except the wonders I can see or perhaps dream.

The missing star is because I rarely give 5 stars and because something is referred to in the blessings for special occasions at the end which I can't find: 'The Blessing of the 7 directions referred to above'. I'd love to know what that is. I'm sure if I contacted Caitlin she'd tell me though. Her Web page within Amazon is rather friendly and inviting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide. Love this! 😊, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings (Hardcover)
Great guide. Love this! 😊 I have said it all in these few words and word recommend buying this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice book, 28 Nov 2013
M. Tomlinson "wickedwillow" (notts,sutton-in-ashfield) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, filled with prayers, blessings, and meditations. Divided into four parts with a very long moon calendar, its very accessable to work through. Its very good for helping you connect to the seasons.
Very nicely illustrated too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a little gem, 17 Mar 2013
A lovely little gem of a book easy to follow ideal in size to carry around with all the prayers and blessings for your everyday needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 29 Aug 2011
For a while I have been looking for a book just like this, and I am glad I found this, as it has been so helpful

Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings
Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings by Caitlin Matthews (Hardcover - 1 Feb 2004)