on 16 January 2007
I'm just dipping my toes into the buy-to-let waters, and have been soaking up information like a sponge from any and everywhere. Without a doubt, this is the best source I've come across, providing clear, sound and realistic advice. Written in a gently humerous and unpatronising style, if offers both breadth and plenty detail, including very useful chapters on how to manage without letting agents, and getting to grips with tax.

It's much more current than certain other publications, for example it doesn't trip itself up citing no-longer-attainable rental yields, or recommend specific (long out-of-date) investment areas.

In other words, its author is realistic about the fluctuating housing and rental market, with evident ample experience from which to offer clear, sensible guidance and advice about how to stay afloat in unpredictable and choppy seas.

Worth every penny.
on 24 October 2011
Excellent value and written to be understood. Excuse the echo. Unpretentious, unassuming style and, given that it was well under a tenner, I would say the latest version is a 'must' for all property landlords. I am a landlord of just 4 years (as @2011) and have stumbled my way to my current level of relative competence, mostly through error. This book was a significant step up: a 'sharpener.' It was also a confidence builder because a lot of what I do ~and better late than never~ is confirmed as 'good practice.'
So nice to have it ok'd by someone who really knows what they are talking about.

A few case histories and imagined scenarios of tenant/landlord disputes ~and how to try to avoid the pitfalls of legislation~ would have been useful including, for example, the truth behind the liability of the landlord should they not lodge a deposit; the danger of taking money and trying to call it something other than a deposit (don't do this) and, perhaps, a template example of Section 21 and Section 8 possession orders or 'notices' and the circumstances for and potential consequences of their respective use.

*****
(the following blurb was added 30/11/14)

It is most important that you buy an up-to-date version so beware: even as I write this, changes regarding so-called 'retalitory evictions' were on the table for discussion only this week in Parliament (effectively blocked but believe will be re-tabled in Feb 2015) Also take note, landlord/tenant law is different in Scotland to Northern Ireland...oh, and England and Wales also has its own ideas. Well, of course!

The version of the book I have makes fair reference to this and is most useful for rented properties and their landlords in England and Wales.

To further keep yourself up-to-date and to complement this publication beautifully, I respectfully suggest your having a look at National Landlords Association (NLA), of which I am an affiliated member and with a view to joining; it's all there, as is a technical and procedural helpline. It offers reassurance to tenants and your voluntary membership of such an organisation heavily implies your integrity.

Remember always: ignorance of the law remains indefensible.
The Housing Act and other associated statutes remain, in my view, very much written and interpreted for the 'weighted' benefit of the perceived amateur, the tenant. It's the way it is, so don't go into or continue in this game uninformed and as if a harmless hobby.

Good luck, folks!
on 25 January 2006
As an experienced property investor I found this book still taught me lots that I didn't know already.
The chapters on how to find the right property in the right location and the one on how to reference tenants (so as not to end up with the tenant from hell!) were particularly good.
There's also a good tenancy agreement in the index and a useful list of addresses for other organisations too.
It's also written in an easy to read style and made me laugh a few times too, which for a hard bitten landlady isn't easy!
Highly recommended.
on 8 December 2005
Having recently become a "buy-to-let" landlord myself, I was looking for a book which would tell me everything I needed to know about the property letting game. A number of publications I came across seemed to be extremely detailed and difficult to get to grips with. A friend of mine then recommended David Lawrenson's book on the subject and I promptly followed his advice and bought it. I wasn't disappointed.
This book covers all areas of property letting but better still, it covers it in a simple and easy to understand format. The author shares his own experiences of being a landlord and informs the reader of potential danger areas to watch out for. The advice offered is straight forward, practical and informative but most of all, accessible to the reader. Areas I found particularly helpful were those on property tax (a minefield explained easily) and advice on how to keep your property let at all times (essential for any landlord). Overall, I would recommend this book for any type of landlord. Whether new to the game or experienced, there is excellent information and advice contained within it's pages. It has become an essential reference guide for me in all matters relating to buy-to-let. Highly recommended.
on 20 June 2007
Last year I started looking at buy-to-let opportunities and needed to gather loads of information. So I decided to purchase some books covering the issues. David Lawrenson's book in particular was the most useful one of those I read (5 in total). What I like about it is the practical and hands-on focus throughout the chapters. Also the list of websites/references has been extremely useful. Definitely a book to have if you're serious about buy-to-let!
on 27 September 2006
An artist is judged by his paintings, what a masterpiece of a book David Lawrenson has written!

I have read no less than seven books on this subject by various authors but most are written by people who have usually interviewed others or have very little experience and most importantly rarely speak candidly about their mistakes or how to resolve the issues ASAP. This is what the landlords need to know to avoid such hazards and David Lawrenson has captured the need for this perfectly. Nor is it tedious to read.

Anyone can tell you about how to do this or how to do that, but there is no substitute for experience for anything in life. That is a FACT!

This book is written from many years of firsthand experience with such simplicity, detail and indepth advice on everything, it truly is worth its weight in gold and is indispensible. For a novice or professional buy-to-let investor, this book should be the reference (it is the only one required on this subject in my opinion). I cannot praise this book enough.

Value for money is an understatement for this book, I am not kidding!
on 29 March 2007
I was looking for informative, common sense and easy to understand information for buy-to-let property investing and I found it with this book. I am confident now of dealing with all aspects of buy-to-let and especially how not to loose your money. Buy the book it's well worth it.
on 9 March 2007
An extremely useful book that gave me a true insight into every aspect of being a landlord. I have used the book extensively to find out very useful information that may have cost me dearly had I not known beforehand..great book and must for all prospective landlords!
on 10 August 2007
This book is really good. It's very readable, in easy to find sections and he goes into a great deal of detail without lots of unnecessary waffle. He gives a lot of common sense advice and covers all aspects of property investing, not just the merits of doing it, but everything else, from finding property to becoming a landlord and the legal side of that. A very good read, highly recommended.
on 20 August 2011
This book is great. It's full of information and has lots of tip boxes and asides that give you real life experiences and situations that landlords face in day to day business.
I've yet to make a million in property but I'm glad I started out with this book. It really does cover everything and give you a good view into the world of property letting.