5.0 out of 5 stars To the point and factual...
Unlike other authors who brag and waffle, this author is to the point and gives practical advice. It has taught me a lot and it's very very realistic...its not saying you can make loads of money ...it's factual and says you can make money but realistically this is how you can achieve it...using calculations for yield, rental income etc.

I have learnt so much...
Published on 13 Oct. 2009 by S. Vara

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland
Hopefully, soon to enter the BTL market, I've already got a mound of information off the internet, but decided I needed 'a book' on the subject that may give me hints on what I have learnt and point out things I might have missed, or not considered.

Published 15 months ago by A.Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars To the point and factual..., 13 Oct. 2009
S. Vara "SV" (UK) - See all my reviews

I have learnt so much from this book and never knew how involved the whole process was...picking the property, negotiating, conveyancing, decor, tax, yield, etc etc.

Thank you so much for this!

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need any other buy to let book just this one!, 24 April 2009
This book is absolutely brilliant. It does say that if you use an agent to manage the rent for you, you must also check the references yourself on the tenant they have for you. Ie telephone their employer, contact the last place where they lived and you can check this on the Land registry for £3. It says do a credit check that costs £15.

It also mentions the people who dress smart say all the right may be professional con people who do this all the time and they no their rights once they are in your property. It says in the book never let anyone into the property without getting the full deposit and 1st month's rent first, any one who makes excuses why they can't give you the money upfront is probably going to rip you off(don't take a cheque it has to be cash). It also says that 98% do pay their rents there is only 2% that don't but you always hear about the 2% that don't. After reading this book I would probably not go through an agency as they will not be as thorough in the checks that you would do. It lists all things you need to do etc and give's you sample letters, sample advert's, where to advertise, It gives you a house guide to give to the tenant when they first move in telling them where the stop value is, emergency numbers on plumbers etc. It tells you to take photos of the house before so they can't disagree when you charge them for something that is broken when they leave, it tells you how to evict a bad tenant and a copy of the Assured Tenantacy agreement you get them to sign etc. What tax to pay. It includes everything you need to know about renting. I thought I would need to read at least 5 books on the subject but this covers absolutely everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and written to be understood, 24 Oct. 2011
Excellent value and written to be understood. Excuse the echo. Unpretentious, unassuming style and, given that it was well under a tenner, a 'must' for all Property Landlords, I would suggest. I am a Landlord of just 4 years (as @2011) and have stumbled my way to my current level of relative competence, mostly through error. This book was a significant step up: a 'sharpener.' It was also a confidence builder because a lot of what I do (and better late than never) is confirmed as 'good practice.' (So nice to have it ok'd by someone who really knows what they are talking about.)

A few case histories and imagined scenarios of Tenant/Landlord disputes - and how to try to avoid the pitfalls of legislation - would have been useful, including, for example, the truth behind the liability of the Landlord should he not lodge a deposit; the danger of taking money and trying to call it something other than a deposit (don't do this) and, perhaps, a template example of Section 21 and Section 8 'notices' and circumstances for their respective use.

(the following blurb was added 30/11/14)
It is most important that you buy an up-to-date version so beware: even as I write this, changes regarding so-called 'retalitory evictions' were on the table for discussion only this week in Parliament (effectively blocked but believe will be re-tabled in Feb 2015) Also take note, Landlord/Tenant law is different in Scotland to Northern Ireland...oh, and England and Wales also has its own ideas. Well, of course!
The version of the book I have makes fair reference to this and is most useful for rented properties and their Landlords in England and Wales. To further keep yourself up-to-date, have a look at National Landlord Association (NLA) website; with a view to becoming a member; it's all there, while ignorance of the law remains indefensible!

Good luck, folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent,jargon free book, 12 Mar. 2009
This is an excellent book for those new to letting. Well written and researched with mention of many informative web sites, with the odd splash of humour here and there making the book easy and entertaining to read. As I am an agent looking to learn the letting industry I found it very useful and it certainly covers a great deal more than just the basics as well. Highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of info, 20 Aug. 2011
K. Gill (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is great. It's full of information and has lots of tip boxes and asides that give you real life experiences and situations that landlords face in day to day business.
I've yet to make a million in property but I'm glad I started out with this book. It really does cover everything and give you a good view into the world of property letting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative - the best place to start, 18 Sept. 2008
This is simply the best introduction to the Buy-to-Let market available. The fundamental strength of the book is that David Lawrenson is (1) not trying to sell you one of his portfolios or convince you to invest in Romanina; (2) someone who has been there and done it. So the advice in the book is balanced, realistic and of immense practical use. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Successful Property Letting before you do anything else in RE., 12 May 2014
This review is from: Successful Property Letting: How to Make Money in Buy-to-Let (Paperback)
I've been reading anything I can get my hands on regarding real estate investments, so I have read a lot of books on the subject. I've also spent many hours watching and attending investment seminars. This is a book for the newer RE investor/landlord.

If you are like me then David's book is a must read before you indulge in any RE courses or consider a turnkey in Florida or anywhere else for that matter. With the volumnious amount of rubbish being written about RE investment thank goodness for this common sense practical advice by an industry leader.

Just as an example from his book, "a good landlord is someone who is skeptical and enquiring... if a banker says the housing market is about to grow rapidly, beware. Also, "you can do well in property but don't expect to make a million in a year". He has many common sense gems like that throughout the text that many other authors seem to forget or ignore altogether.

In my own expérience I have been surprised at the number of RE spruikers on TV, radio and live presenters, who claim to be independent. A whole industry has emerged around "supporting and advising" investors these people are not doing it because they are charitable caring individuals.

Further David is a geniune person who cares about the integrity and importance of the landlord as well as the role of government.

That's why you should start with this book. By the way you should also get access to his useful and informative email newsletter to keep up with the ever changing landscape for landlords.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Mar. 2013
This really is an excellent book which covers all areas of buying to let. The main plus point for me though was that it's just straightforward and honest, so the author tells you the way it is and doesn't sugar coat anything. I'm pretty savvy at business type things and forecasts etc, but there were still lots of points I had not considered. An example is when working out your sums, base your rent charged at 10% lower than the agent tells you the property could achieve. Good tip. Another one was that when buying a flat make sure you check the leasehold agreement early on as it may actually prohibit the renting of the property. That one saved my bacon this week in fact, as exactly this scenario occurred when I was seriously considering putting an offer in on my first investment. It took the agent nigh on a week of me asking to actually find out that renting was prohibited.....aaaah, so that's why it's been on the market for the last 12 months! Anyway, it's a nice guide to the industry, and DEFINITELY NOT one of those books that promises to make you a gazillionaire in a year etc. This shows you how to make good investments when house prices are NOT going crazy. For me this is good business - being able to make a good return on your money over the long term without relying on continual capital gains as house prices go up. I think that if you followed the advice in this book there is every chance that most people could invest for the long term and create a small nest egg for later life. It's not rocket science, it's just good planning and research, the method of which is in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, 28 Jan. 2014

A quick reckie of the book and, for me, it doesn't do it. It's wordy (which I hate about some books, like this) - seems to take the American line of padding, when some tables and charts would make some parts clearer.

Next time it's the book shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sound basis for seting up a property letting business., 21 May 2013
I read this book in 2007, when I first began looking into property investment. Unlike some books and courses which boast the power to make you a "property millionnaire", it contains a wealth of down-to-earth, practical advice, which is proving to be timeless in its value. The knowledge I gained from this book helped to give me the confidence to get started in property investment. I have been investing since 2007 and now have a portfolio which produces a good income.

There are many tips to help you prepare for your first rental. For example he suggests you place a "house to let" ad for a house you are thinking of buying. I did this and had many calls from would-be tenants. This showed me there was good rental potential in the area. The book is packed with good advice of this nature.

John Doherty, author of "Defuse Your Pension Timebomb".

[ASIN:1478305568 Defuse Your Pension Time-Bomb: How To Create A Generous Income Through Property Investment]]

Successful Property Letting: How to Make Money in Buy-to-Let
Successful Property Letting: How to Make Money in Buy-to-Let by David Lawrenson (Paperback - 15 Aug. 2013)