5.0 out of 5 stars Wild, Unusual and Delicious

2.0 out of 5 stars The title is misleading
Published 19 months ago by M. Livings

2.0 out of 5 stars The title is misleading, 27 July 2013
M. Livings (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foraging: The Essential Guide to Free Wild Food (Paperback)
What can I say. The book's title would lead you to believe that you can use this book to go foraging. This is not true unless you already have a good handle on botany. The descriptions are not detailed enough to guide you as to what each plant looks like. One description is so dismissive, explaining that all boys know what it looks like, well I am sure they may know what the plant looks like but unless you also know the name of the plant then how can you possibly make the link between book and plant? You will need to get an identification book to use this book which invariably means you do not need this book. It does give a few recipes but it is called "Foraging, the essential guide to free wild food" it is not called the "essential guide to cooking the food you foraged using another book to identify it".
Don't expect to go foraging using this as a guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild, Unusual and Delicious, 24 Sept. 2012
My husband is something of a would-be forager and loves the idea of gathering food for free whilst enjoying long walks with our children. We have a number of books on mushrooms, many on wildlife, a couple on plants, but what they don't do, and what Foraging by John Lewis-Stempel does so well, is provide interesting ways to use these gathered treasures. From Hazlenut Shortbread to Comfrey Fritters, Bullace Vodka to Pickled Samphire, this book is full of wonderful sounding recipes, both unusual and mouth-watering. Lewis-Stempel writes well and with humour (road-kill Herby Squirrel Burgers made smile) and his love of everything the great outdoors has to offer is palpable. This book is a perfect addition to any nature lovers bookcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched, full of knowledge and plenty of excellent recipes., 12 April 2013
Mr. N. Weston "Nick Weston" (Sussex) - See all my reviews
Very pleased with this book- I must point out that, no, it doesn't contain any pictures, but then it isn't meant to. John Lewis-Stempel has finally done what so many foraging books have failed to do in the past- actually deliver on all fronts: historical references, descriptions, a fine variety of thoughtful recipes and not just what the plant is but what you can really do with it.

Sadly, some of the reviews have completely missed the point of the book by whinging about there being no pictures.

As any experienced forager knows, when starting out you don't just get one book that will do everything, when it comes to wild plants, especially Mushrooms, you must be very careful, therefore a variety of Identification books are essential in order to cross reference when dealing with unfamiliar plants for the first time.

Whilst many of these ID books have plenty of pictures, they have very little practical information about what to actually do with the plant beyond a few uninspiring recipes such as using green leaves in salad, how to make elderflower cordial and nettle soup. What the Author has done really well is nailed some great recipes- I particularly liked the hedgerow toffee apples and bloody mary oysters. If this book did have pictures then it would certainly 'piss' all over Mabey's food for free which hasn't been updated for 30 years.

Thoroughly recommend this book to all experienced foragers and for Beginners: use it in conjunction with an ID book such as the Forager's Handbook by Miles Irving. I will certainly be recommending it to all course attendees at my Foraging and Cookery School.[ ... ]

1.0 out of 5 stars No illustrations so not great for beginners, 10 Sept. 2012
Got this as the reviews seemed to be very positive. However, as a beginner in foraging I found it very difficult to follow as it has no illustrations of the plants and the descriptions could be, well, more descriptive. Will now look for a more suitable book with full illustrations and descriptions. When your dealing with mushrooms and other potentially dangerous plants a full description and illustration is essential.

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was looking for, 19 Jan. 2013
didnt show any detail of what to look for just the recipes. ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

2.0 out of 5 stars ONLY useful for experienced foragers., 20 Oct. 2014
I don't normally write reviews, but in this case I'd like to stop anyone else from making my mistake. Put plainly; this book has no pictures and is thus all but useless to anyone new to foraging. I've given it two stars from that perspective as it is useful when combined with my other foraging book, that has pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was pretty disappointed when this book came, 16 Sept. 2014
I was pretty disappointed when this book came. Apart from the low quality paper, there are no pictures. If you are going to be picking mushrooms and little known plants to eat, it would be to helpful to know what you are looking at!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in every way, 9 Sept. 2012
EMLYN REES (UK) - See all my reviews
A terrific book. Informative, whilst being easily accessible to a 'newbie' to foraging like me. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some of these recipes and might even brave Nettle soup next time I head off camping (I think I'll give the 'Herby Squirrel Burgers' a miss, though - I was a member of the Tufty club). I'm looking forward to next May too, so that I can give dandelion and burdock beer a go. This is written in an easy-going style and with a touch of humour. It's almost enough to make a city critter like me take to the fields.

2.0 out of 5 stars When will I ever learn?, 12 Oct. 2014
Y'know it's been said right here in this review section that this book isn't suitable for a novice forager and upon buying it I find that that's completely the case. There are no illustrations (as has been said) and I'm not confident enough with the descriptions of many of the plants that the book contains .

I'm sorry I bought it, make sure you're not

5.0 out of 5 stars A replacement copy, 20 April 2013
FJM (Scotland) - See all my reviews
There are two sure ways to lose a friend, one is to borrow the other is to lend... I've just replaced my copy of Foraging: The Essential Guide to Free Wild Food. I missed it. The author is witty, the lore fascinates and the recipes are easily doable and far from dull. John Lewis-Stempel tells it as it is - foraging sea buckthorn is a stinky pastime.

Foraging: The Essential Guide to Free Wild Food
Foraging: The Essential Guide to Free Wild Food by John Lewis-Stempel (Paperback - 2 Aug. 2012)