5.0 out of 5 stars Caribbean Food at its best
This is a handy and clearly-written Caribbean by David & Gwendolyn Daley with a great range of recipes from around the Caribbean. It is always a good sign when open a cookery book and you want to eat everything contained within. What I like about it are the recipes are no-nonsense and authentic.

The book begins with two elements essential to Caribbean...
Published 21 months ago by hector parkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes but doesn't work as well on the kindle ...
Great recipes but doesn't work as well on the kindle as a physical book would. Something about being able to flick through the pages is taken away in this format hence the 3 stars.
Published 8 months ago by DH, Preston, Lancashire

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Caribbean Food at its best, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Caribbean Cookery Secrets: How to Cook 100 of the Most Popular West Indian, Cajun and Creole Dishes (Paperback)

The book begins with two elements essential to Caribbean cuisine, time and thyme. Don't rush things.

Take dhal puri roti skins. The Daleys write that it is art and takes a lot of practice. Too right. I have tried and made a hash of them. But this is making me want to keep at it, because a roti skin filled with a good curry is manna from heaven! As advised, time is needed, but the rewards are worth it.

My wife and I were pleased to see the classics, but even a version of bully beef and rice, which my wife concedes looks better than hers. Cannot wait to try the stew chicken and others.

The book's also adds that there is no right and wrong way, and that recipes vary from island to island, parish to parish, family to family. But the recipes feel real. The authors are mother and son and in lies its strength, because it presents the best kind of authentic cooking that comes out of the home. So, none of these, tv celebrity chef `versions' of classics, instead the Real McCoy.

If you are lucky enough to live near good West Indian shops or markets, you will find the ingredients easily enough. If you don't, a few ingredients might be hard to come up, except by mail order, but it is worth the extra effort to find them, because Caribbean cooking is fantastically diverse, rich and tasty. Diverse and full of great food. Caribbean cuising doesn't get the attention it deserves in the UK. This book helps change this.

Thoroughly recommended. Get reading, get cooking. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 28 Dec. 2013
I just recieved this today! Altough I have not had the chance to make any of the recipes I am excited about doing so. i intended to just flick through but as soon as I started reading one recipe I couldn't stop.
Being of caribbean desent I was a lil sceptical of the authenticity,but I needn't of been! The recipes were bang on and taught me a lil too, it was almost as if I could taste it as I was reading.
It is a very concise book I especially love how at the beginning there is a glossary of common caribbean ingredients and cooking untensils. It lists thorough informationon both. Also in the recipes it also lists all the different names for the dishes that may not be known to most which I found helpful.

The background information and tips at the beginning of each recipe are a nice touch and at the back of the book it lists websites of where you can obtain ingredients to make the dishes if you don't have an ethnic store readily available :)

All in all I am excited about this book,it is a breath of fresh air and can't wait to try some of the recipes i've never made and tweak the ones i already do.

5.0 out of 5 stars A culinary jem, 1 July 2014
This book is really informative and could even be read just for the shear educational value. I was particularly interested in the different dishes from all the islands and the explanations of the herbs and ingredients. Have tried several of the recipes and they stack up very well. A real pleasure just reading them but even more fun giving them a try. Excellent value and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, well written and spicey., 1 July 2014
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I really love this recipe book (thanks for the recommendation Pixie!). My mum is originally from Trinidad, so I recently cooked the Chicken Pelau recipe for her which sent her into rapturous reminiscences. "I'd forgotten how good this was" and "THAT'S the flavour I had forgotten" were typical comments.

The book has a really wide selection of recipes and explains which island each recipe is from. Although a number of ingredients used may not be available in the UK, or perhaps can only be found in specialist grocery shops, the book describes exactly what these ingredients are, and makes helpful suggestions of more everyday ingredients which can be used instead.

With the liberal use of Scotch Bonnets (extra hot chillies), some recipes are a little on the warm side, but you can always cut back on the amount of chilli you use.

On a final note, I must comment on the Peanut Punch recipe. OMG! If you are not counting calories and like peanut butter, you really must try this (use the version which includes rum). Its like a sweet alcoholic peanut butter milkshake which is far nicer than it sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow recipes that work, 1 May 2014
I hadn't tried to cook any similar recipes before but the instructions were clear and the outcome brilliant.
I'm working my way through them all

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookery., 12 Nov. 2013
This item arrived before expected date and was joyously received. I love cooking and enjoy doing dishes from around the world, so I was looking forward to this to add to my little Library of cook books.
I found this book easy to read, without all the jargon of cookery, it's a nice size and can be carried in a handbag. The dishes were very interesting and I look forward to cooking some of the dishes in the future! No complaints, just compliments :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastebud delight, 2 Aug. 2014
Leela (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ohhh, how we LOVE this cookbook! I've been trialling the recipes in this book on my family and they absolutely love them! Very simply written and very informative on Carribean ingredients. The ingredients can be found at most supermarkets in the UK. The book has a lot of helpful pages detailing what you'll need to make the perfect Carribean food from ingredients to cooking utensils etc. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 18 Jun. 2014
This is a great cookery book. Reasonably priced and easy to follow- with fantastic results! I would definitely recommend this book to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars recipes are great, 9 April 2014
Its good what can i tell you? I enjoy cooking the recipes. It is easy to understand. Goodbye i do not like writing these reviews. Can you not just accept the stars?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 17 Feb. 2014
Without doubt the best jerk chicken I have ever had...and a dipping sauce...who knew!?

Buy this book if you like Caribbean food...a winner!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›