5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get to know fly fishing
Published 22 months ago by Glenda Rousseau

3.0 out of 5 stars the book of repeated fishing tips.
a few good tips in this book , but over all a lot of repeating the same old thing over and over again , which makes it start to get a bit boring , so if you took away all the repeated material you would be left with about half a book , I would not recommend this book to anyone as it is as usefull as an electric fire in an igloo .
Published 12 months ago by J.A.B.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get to know fly fishing, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
Allan Sefton's book is entertaining and pragmatic, and stuffed with technical facts which are presented simply. The tone of the book is both passionate (for the sport) and respectful (of the quarry). It is reassuringly detailed on the basic equipment needed and the techniques for assembling it. There is a great section on knots, for example. Throughout, the specialised terminology of the sport is used - but the author takes care to explain each term simply and straightforwardly so the reader quickly becomes familiar with it. Once the basic equipment (or "tackle") has been covered, the book goes on to describe the essential art of casting, followed by a long and immensely interesting section on tactics for catching trout " on the fly". It is a fine, no-nonsense introduction to this sport, including practical guidance on sources of equipment, training and fishing spots - encouraging, but also making clear what is required of the person wanting to become a fly-fisher. Highly recommended by this reviewer, who came to fly-fishing in her 30s and never lost the passion!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to fly fishing, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
As a professional fly fisherman and instructor,I consider this book fill a gap in the market for introducing people to fly fishing. Well written and easy to read, Allan is obviously someone sharing his wealth of experience. I can recommend this to anyone who has recently taken up the sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allan Sefton's Fly Fishing For Trout, 27 Sept. 2014
K. Voller "Numb Hands" (East sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
As a total, and I mean TOTAL novice fly fisherman this book was my first into this style of fishing, and if I'm completely honest, it's the one book I have read and re-read the most. Allan Sefton's book basically taught me how to buy my first outfit, cast and then land my first trout on my FIRST ever attempt at fly fishing. No , he's not a relation and no I'm not an angler, I always fancied fly fishing and I've just taken it up at 52 years of age and have self taught myself to cast etc with this book as my bible.
There are little gems in this book that will always stick in your mind. I can say , hand on heart, when I felt a trout ' tap ' my fly today I did just as Allan says in the book, don't strike etc, keep calm because the trout might have another go, it did and it hooked it'self ( as Allan predicts ) and I then played then landed a superb Rainbow.
It's a UK book aimed at the UK, I guess, but it's just such a great little book, one of those books where a little snippet will always stay with you.
It works for me and I've read several now but I still refer to this little gem :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I always wanted, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
This is a terrific book - I only wish it had been around many years ago when I first started to learn about fly fishing. Had it been, I think I would have been a far better and more knowledgeable fisherman than I am today. I bought the book because I will soon need to introduce a grandson to fly fishing and I don't want to pass onto him my bad habits. This book is clear, well-written and covers just about everything one could wish to know in becoming successful at this sport. I hope Allan Sefton will write a follow-up book on boat fishing in the Midlands reservoirs, about which he is obviously very knowledgeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceelent Read, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
Wish I had bought this book before starting, as I was doing just about everything WRONG. Its easy to read and understand and is also a good reference book for the future.
certainly a great book for beginners and possibly for people fairly new to the sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 13 Oct. 2013
Tony Paul (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
I have purchased several books on the subject but this is definitely one of the best that I have come across. As a novice, I can honestly say that I have learnt from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 10 Aug. 2013
Mr. R. Mcmanus (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
I found this book a really great read with some good, sensible advice on how to be a good fly fisherman. I consider myself to be an experienced amateur, but it has made me re-visit my gear, my cast, the flies I use and my confidence. It has advised me of the core principles of Fly Fishing which never really change, while encouraging me to lean the waters I fish to gain experience of what works there. This is exactly what I was looking for. The writing style was clear and easy to understand.

The book explains a number of how and why questions for different conditions - but remind you that the rest is down to you.

I would recommend it without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Primer for Beginner or Occasional Flyfisher, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
This book provides enough information to get started as well as serving as a reminder for those who don't fish regularly enough for things to come 'naturally'. Looking forward to the book on River Trout Fishing!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a good read, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
brilliant - a good read and full of help and information a must for any beginner certainly worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout (Paperback)
A good informative guide to trout fishing. Suitable for beginners and seasoned anglers alike. You're never too old or too experienced to learn something from this book. I would highly recommend this book to everyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout
Getting Started at Fly Fishing for Trout by Allan Sefton (Paperback - 21 Mar. 2013)