5.0 out of 5 stars No Nonsense advice for chicken keeping.
Published on 16 Nov. 2011 by John.T

3.0 out of 5 stars handy book to have around
got two girls in the back garden and often use this book as a reference for keeping my hens healthy and safe
Published on 30 Dec. 2012 by Alice M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No Nonsense advice for chicken keeping., 16 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
As head gardener to Woodside Lodge Hotel in the New Forest & a horticultural lecturer I am often asked for my opinion on the many books out there & just how helpful they can be. We have recently embarked on a project to provide our own free range eggs to hotel guests along with the organic vegetables from the walled gardens. I was recommended to read The book on 'Backyard Chickens' by John Harrison & his daughter. As well as being a really good read it has all the information one needs to get you started on the road to successful chicken keeping. I can only echo the other reviews, it scores top marks for value & content. John Trim

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for a beginner, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
Very friendly tone and an easy read, I found the information in the book very easy to take in and understand particularly information about housing birds. However I am reading several books on keeping chickens and the information in this book conflicts in some areas (legalities and humane slaughtering mainly) with my current read. Some of this could be down to personal opinion of the authors of both books which is fine, however I would check any legal/technical detail with a third source to corroborate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Usefull Book, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
I purchased this book knowing absolutely nothing about chickens but with a desire to own some. I now feel completely confident to face up up to the prospect of owning and caring for them.Thats how helpfull this book has been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chickens, 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
This book has been very useful as first time chicken owners . Lots of practical advise and very well written

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful beginners guide and reference volume for all levels, 21 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
John Harrison's latest volume, written in collaboration with his daughter, covers all the basics of keeping backyard chickens and other poultry. It will give all the information needed to someone researching the subject before they embark on this endearing hobby and will stand as a useful reference title to those new to it and those more experienced alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good read., 25 April 2013
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
I thought this book was writen in a nice informal way and I enjoyed reading it. Useful as an over view of the different poultry it covers and it helped us deside what would be best to choose for our garden, but felt i needed a book with a bit more detail once I had made my mind up on chickens and ducks!

3.0 out of 5 stars handy book to have around, 30 Dec. 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 9 Oct. 2012
As a newcomer to Chicken keeping I found this book to be really informative. It does drift a bit to other poultry but thats what it says on the title so cant really complain.

Some great tips, its worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 11 Aug. 2012
Am Galvin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
I have found this a useful book as someone new to keeping poultry and was pleased to find that it covers birds other than chickens such as quail and ducks which, though covered in less depth, have inspired me to expand my range.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real diamond in the rough., 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry (Paperback)
A real diamond in the rough. This is a superb book for nayone starting off in both gardening and trying to be eco friendly. Maybe you don't want to go all the way, however, this is certainly a good start.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry
Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry by John Harrison (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2011)