Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2011
This book is just what is needed to demonstrate the simplicity of adapting well loved recipes to suit a healthier lifestyle.

Yes, it helps that the author is a well loved actor, but it is clear that he has developed these recipes himself, either from family, friends or various books collected over the years.

The chatty introductions to each recipe, explaining the origins or whose book he has adapted it from,are delightful. His writing style makes the book come alive. The whole layout, explanations, pictures and handy hints, make it a very easy book to follow.

As a retired health professional, who worked for over 30 years with people who were living with diabetes, I spent a great deal of time explaining how to adapt their favourite recipes. If I'd had Robin's book, back then, it certainly would have made life simpler.

I have already gifted this to friends and will certainly be buying a few more as Christmas gifts.
on 9 August 2011
I received 'Delicious Dishes for Diabetics' a couple of days ago from Amazon and have spent such an enjoyable time reading it - (and planning) -since. It is such an attractive book - I love its simplicity and joyfulness, and the fact that it is 'wipeable' - and the illustations are evocative and magical. Above all it is such a delightful personal statement.
on 10 February 2016
My husband was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic 4 years ago. Following a recent spike in his sugar levels, we decided to embark on the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet by Dr Michael Mosley. I purchased Delicious Dishes for Diabetics, to complement and add to the range of recipes I can prepare for my husband. Why did I choose this book from the many available? Well, I am not a confident cook. I haven't had the opportunity to learn from someone. Did not cover the subject at school. I hate recipe books that contain 20+ expensive ingredients Or expect you to undertake complicated procedures to prepare vegetables or meat. I do not have the time, skill or enthusiasm to spend two to three hours in prep and cooking to prepare a meal. What I like about this book is that it is simple. The instructions given are easy to follow and given in a friendly, inclusive manner. I like the writers style. And crucially, the ingredients are easy to find in my local supermarket and grocers. And only require minimal adjustment to complement the Blood Sugar Diet my husband is following. There is a wide range of recipes, and I have actually enjoyed preparing them, which is a first for me.
The diet seems to be working. My husband has lost weight. His sugar levels are down. He has not become bored with the meals. Due in no part to the excellent variety of tasty recipes to be found in this book.
on 10 October 2011
Diabetcs can live extremely well! Recipes are easy to follow, fun to make and very, very tasty - who said Diabetes was a problem?

Amazon represents great value for money - good book, well packed and promptly delivered.
on 22 August 2011
My husband was recently diagnosed as "pre-diabetic," so I ordered this book thinking that it would give us some valuable guidance. What I discovered was an wonderful collection of flavourful and very accessible recipes which are ideal for anyone who enjoys simple, heart-healthy, low-fat and delicious Mediterrean cuisine. Not a lot of exotic ingredients or techniques required, either. This book has provided us with great inspiration for everyday meals and entertaining. In fact, after buying my own copy, I ordered six more as gifts for friends and relatives, and they have all appreciated it as much as I do.
on 10 August 2011
I received my copy of this beautiful cookbook from Amazon last Friday.
It's a real joy to have and to read, like Robin my husband is diabetic 1 (insulin twice a day),but I am not, though I cook for us all it is hard sometimes,but with the help of this colourful and easy to read and FOLLOW book we will be trying some new idea's.
I recommend this book to you all wheather you are diabetic or not,is worth buying it.just for the joy and sheer pleasure of a man enjoying what he is doing and sharing it.
There are some wonderful skeches by Hope James to. Elaine Ward
on 18 October 2011
There are some fantastic dishes in this book, I have tried a couple and look forward to trying some more. They are so simple to do and not lots of complicated instructions to follow.
on 12 August 2011
I know this cookbook is geared toward people wanting to eat healthier--especially diabetics--but I like it just because it has so many recipes for great-tasting dishes. I especially like the chicken with capers in lemony sauce and the baked sweet potato with fillings. Plus there are some really lovely watercolor drawings of the author/actor Robin Ellis's home in the south of France which remind me that I'm cooking in a manner that's altogether exotic and wonderful.
on 22 August 2011
Although aimed at diabetics, this book of food is fun and not a trace of denial of pleasure. It is beautifully illustrated by Hope James with delightful pictures of the house where Robin Ellis lives. I have already tried several of the recipes- Donald's cold cucumber soup, Tonno e Fagioli a wonderful tuna salad, the baked mackerel fillets are great as is the Blackened Salmon with Orange Yogurt Sauce. I can't wait to try out Ismail's Spicy Chicken Curry or the Lamb Tagine. There are really useful ideas for salad dressings and sauces. Plus,and this is a big plus, you feel like you are getting to know the man himself. His enthusiasm for good food is transmitted throughout the book like the word Brighton in a stick of Brighton Rock ! :) If you have a day when you just don't know what to cook, you can open this book and find something to inspire you and get you cooking with pleasure.
on 3 October 2011
Excellent book, not just for diabetics. I bought it for my Sister and was tempted not to give it to her. Am now buying one for myself.