on 29 April 2012
How silly of me... I expected the book to expand on the concept of the 15 minute rule.... instead, all I needed to do was read the cover (and these reviews) and could have saved buying the book.

So, in summary, take a task you don't want to do and spend 15 minutes starting it... if you feel you can continue, then do so in 15 minute segments. If you want to stop, then OK. Do another 15 minutes another time.

Such a simple idea - why didn't I think of it before? Hmm...
on 24 March 2012
I read it because it was on offer for 99p - Kindle deal of the day. That felt like an OK price.
Nearly all the advice can be found in other self-help books, plus the inspirational quotes are ones that have been used many times before. It has quite an upbeat feel and promises a great deal about fulfilling potential etc.

The technique itself is a bit like Pomodoro-Lite. You can find details of this technique free on the web.
Basically this is what you need to know:

1) Buy yourself a kitchen timer.
2) Decide what you are going to tackle - the writer uses an example of doing a tax return
3) Make sure you don't need to go to the loo or are desperate to have a cup of tea or make an urgent 'phone call.
4) Set timer for 15 minutes
5) Sit down and Focus completely on task for 15 minutes and STOP when timer goes off.
6) Go off and do something else
7) Keep repeating in 15 minute blocks and you will retrain yourself to get things done.
The idea is that you can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes.

The good thing is - it only cost me 99p and I don't have to look at it on my shelf - I can just delete it from my kindle.
(The reviewer who gave the book 1 star was suspicious of the 5 star reviews, because it was their first review.
This is also my first review.)
44 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2013
I relate to the principe of the book. Unfortunately for me there is too much prose/ filler by the author, which is unnecessary. Good points if you can make it through the waffle. Skim read, take the main points on board. Avoid the need to read every single motivational quote. - save yourself 15 minutes!
on 2 September 2012
There's nothing wrong with the advice contained within this book, but really the title is one big spoiler, and the author seems a bit desperate in places when trying to string out the concept to make a whole book.

I paid 99p for it, so I'm not too upset. I notice the price is currently over £5. If I'd paid that much I would feel a bit of a mug having shelled out so much for so little.
on 28 December 2013
The idea is a sound one, well tried and tested under a number of different labels:

Essentially, you need to set aside a fixed period of short time, avoid interruptions and focus on the task in hand. This is a good way of getting things started or making progress.

That's it! The whole book is padded around this one good idea. If being efficient with your time is your aim, don't waste it reading the bland and uninspiring anecdotes that fill is book.
on 26 February 2012
I'm not really one for "self-help" books as a genre, but this one is bite sized (practising what it preaches!), delivering common sense advice and relatable insight. I can't recommend it enough. I'm definitely a bit of a procrastinator, tending to focus all my efforts on one area of my life and this book totally changed my whole outlook, allowing me to achieve more of a balance and actually get things done!
on 5 March 2012
This book really changed my way of thinking. I always used to say to myself, 'I'll do so-and-so when I've got a spare day,' whether it was clearing out a cupboard or doing the admin. I've got two young children and, I've discovered, that day spare day never comes! Now, after reading the book, I just do fifteen minutes when the baby's asleep or while I'm waiting for the pasta to boil - and actually I've cleared out a good few cupboards, got on top of the admin, and am deciding what to do next. It's a winning rule and a winning book - I'd recommend it to anyone, especially busy mums!
on 16 December 2012
Found this when I was browsing for a book to read. As I was procrastinating about getting the VAT and accounts done I thought I would read it. It worked. Instead of shying away from doing chores I hate I use the rule and quite often things like VAT, which I dread, actually aren't so bad and 15mins is a start. Very useful. I haven't read all the book yet but it kicked started me!!
on 23 February 2016
This is one of the best books that I have ever read.
If you set a timer, you would be surprised at just how much can be done in 15 minutes.
I love this strategy. Keeps me organised.
Worth every penny, I wouldn't part with this book.
on 4 June 2015
As a perfectionist and deep thinker, I have often wrestled with completion of actions in a timely manner. This has had a significant impact on both my home and work life.

This book has played a major role in helping me to completely overcome this "disease". The solution is simple to implement, and I'm sure that even the worst procrastinator would struggle not to successfully deploy the tactics shared. The different chapters show examples of different areas of life that you can apply the technique, which I have cherry picked, as required. So far, I have successfully deployed the technique in work, home and personal areas.

If you recognise that you have difficulty in this area and want to resolve those issues, then I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you, get it bought and then set aside 15 mins to start to change your life . . .