Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2012
I don't often take the time to come back and write a review about anything I buy.
The author of these two books (Im cheating and leaving the same review for both) is seriously underselling himself with the measley price I paid for my kindle editions.

My partner has two teenage lads and every weekend we were getting the usual moans of can't we go KFC, Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut etc etc for dinner which was proving difficult due to our current economic position.

I purchased these books with a view to trying out some of the boys favourite takeout meals and we are all amazed!

The pizza sauce tastes amazing and has enabled us to have "make your own pizza" days where I make the dough and sauce first thing and everyone makes their own creation which allows us to have a great family time together instead of the usual arguments.

Today we tried the southern fried chicken but made it into strips instead of pieces and the popcorn chicken to accompany it. To be compliemented by two fussy stepsons that they prefered this to the real thing is proof of the pudding indeed.

Even the boys have said the author deserves more than the price I paid.

Can't wait to carry on trying out the other recipes but so far we have tried and loved.

Pizza sauce,
Chicken burgers (like McChicken Sandwiches)
Southern fried chicken
Big Tasty Burgers (like BigMacs)
Chicken Tikka (like indian takeaway style)
Chinese Sweet and Sour sauce with Chicken Balls.

Every recipe we have tried has been amazing.
on 15 July 2010
We purchased this book as a present for a friend who is addicted to takeaway food - it was purchased as a bit of a joke at his expense as he's lived on takeaways for years but the recipes included in the book have so far been amazing!

Our friend tried the chicken pakora the first night we gave him the book and ended up having to make a 2nd batch to satisfy everyone who was present at the time - since then we've tasted the chow mein, szechuan chicken, south indian garlic chilli chicken and egg / bacon breakfast muffins and they have all been absolutely amazing!

The recipes we've tried have all been easy to make but the results far outweigh any of the cooking skill needed - the pakora in particular was unbelievably good but the others we've tried also really do what they say on the tin and more importantly, the dishes we cooked up really did look and taste as good as most takeaways!

This book has got 4 of us hooked on cooking since it arrived, next on the list is the southern fried chicken!

I would highly, highly recommend this book and urge anyone who buys it to really give the recipes a go because they are utterly amazing!
33 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2011
This book is excellent. I would recommend it to everyone. I have bought a copy for my daughter too after cooking my first meal from it. I have made the Szechuan Chicken- amazing, the Char-Sui- superb, the Southern Fried Chicken and Chip Shop Chips-fantastic and the Spag Bol very tasty indeed. Don't know what to try next and I've only had the book a week. You really won't regret buying this cookbook as it's a must have no matter how many others you have.
on 11 September 2014
recipes very easy to follow the food turns out just as it should no complicated ingredients makes like easier when your a busy mum
on 26 January 2013
Bought as christmas present on daughters wish list. She seem very happy with it and has both books in the series
on 2 March 2011
Bought this book on the recommendation of a few friends and I was really surprised by how good some of the really well known dishes turned out.

I can highly recommend the Vegetable Pakora, no more trips to the Indian takeaway for me from now on!
on 18 August 2015
This is a really thin flimsy paperback, on poor quality paper, bought as a gift but was a bit embarrased by it to be honest. Recipes are OK some good "secrets"
on 13 April 2011
I read/heard somewhere that this book was the most authentic at replicating takeaway food. So, I took a look at the reviews & noticed how reviewers were raving about the tried & tested recipes.
I decided to order via Amazon Kindle for my Dell Streak as I'm so impatient. This little gem was sent straightaway to my phone.
I already had some minced lamb in the fridge & the exact herbs/spices needed to make the doner kebab. So, I got straight to work, followed the recipe & as the doner kebab meat cooked away in the oven, I got a whiff of kebab meat wafting through the kitchen!
I wrapped the kebab meat in foil as instructed but left it until later that night. Sliced up the meat, shredded some cabbage, carrot, onion & cucumber, made the "red kebab sauce" - amazingly authentic too! & built up the kebab's. I made 4 kebab's on pitta bread & they were so, so tasty. A lot less greasy than takeaway bought ones, so I'm guessing a hell of a lot healthier too!
Cheeseburgers - Fantastic too, so much like the McD's I prefer to use the frozen burger buns from Iceland & wrapping the completed burger in foil is a must to get the exact flavour!
on 28 February 2015
This book has a wide range of takeaways in it so you can use it any time you want! The recipes are straight forward and easy to follow. However, I always prefer cookbooks that have pictures of the foods as it makes it more exciting and shows you how the food should look.
on 10 September 2010
love this book made a few of the "take aways" now and let me assure you they are just as good and for all us dieters out there they can be tweeked a little for lower fat versions that dont impare the flavour or taste.. how great is that!! i simply cant recommend this book highly enough..