Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2008
This is a nice little book with some lovely simple recipes in. My favourite is the lamb and apricots dish - which tastes so delicious (great with cous cous). The nice thing about this book is that the ingredients are easy to get hold of, the recipies are straightforward, and best of all the ingredient quantities are expressed in measurements familier to the british cook (no cup measurements)! Would recommend this to anyone.
11 comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2009
I recently bought myself my second pressure cooker and decided to treat myself to this book - it does exactly what it says on the cover (even allows for variations in type of pressure cooker) and then loads of recipes in English units that just make you want to use the thing every day! 'braised' red cabbage and apples 6mins under pressure compared with my favourite Delia recipe which takes 1.5 to 2 hours in a slow oven. Chicken carcass stock in 40 mins - Hugh F-W's takes 3hrs!
on 9 December 2001
To a beginner who has returned to the ease of use and cost savings provided by using pressure cookers I have found that the book is simply set out and easy to read.
It is ideal as the basic facts are explained clearly and advice is supplied as to how and why it all happens.These facts will facilitate the modification of your recipes and help explain any disasters which may happen with your efforts.
There are plenty of recipes to start with although a more exhaustive list of separate ingredients and their cooking times would be of help.
In general a clearly set out book which is easy to use and should find ready acceptance amongst the vast array of cookery books which we all seem to have.
on 11 October 2009
Being a new pressure cooker owner meant a guide like this was essential. This book is the ideal one to tell all, also there are excellent recipies included, some of which I had no idea could be done by pressure cooker.
This is a must have for anyone interested in this method of cooking.
on 7 November 2009
This is an excellent book for the first time pressure cooker user. It gives a great deal of information on the pressure cooker - the pressure cooker explained, how to choose, using, looking after, adapting recipes and about the recipes along with a good selection of recipes for soups, meat, poultry and game, fish, vegetables and rice, puddings, cooking for one and making preserves. I have recently made seville orange marmalade and it was so quick and easy to do. The marmalade set very quickly and tastes delicious!

All the above explained simply for the "rushed of their feet" person of today.

Why did I not get a pressure cooker before I ask myself??
This book has all the recipes my mom used to make, syrup pudding, steak and kidney pud, stews, rice pudding. Good wholesome old fashioned type food, lovely, as well as explaining how to use a pressure cooker. My first pressure cooker and the perfect cook book.
on 21 October 2009
I am very happy with the book. It gives a no-nonsense outline of pressure cooking with great every-day recipes. A very good starter for people new to pressure cooking and even it you are experenced it's still a very handy reference book.
on 5 June 2012
I bought a new pressure cooker and so decided to treat myself to this book at the same time though I have several already. The recipes are good basics and the ingredients are given in ounces and grams. I am a gram person myself and hate cups and sticks of butter etc. I am particularly liking the cooking for 1 section. Although I have been a pressure cooker owner for some 50 years, I have never thought to do a whole meal at once. Of course I had a family to feed so that is not surprising. Well now that I am cooking just for me, I am going to try these meals and adapt some new meals too. If I have one gripe it would be the poor quality of the paper. I would have happily spent more on a larger hard back with silky paper. Still you get what you pay for don't you and this is cheap but recommendable.
on 20 July 2009
This book is a good starter when you just bought a pressure pot for the first time. It explains well what you need to know about pressure cooking and helps you to adopt your non pressure cooking recipe.
There is a large variety of simple to make recipes. A good source of inspiration to try new stuff.
on 3 June 2015
At first sight when the book arrived, I was underwhelmed by its size. This is a small paperback sized book, and quite thin, and is on cheap quality paper. It is also a very old book: originally released in 1978. Despite these concerns, it does actually cover all the basics, and has several dependable (if not somewhat dated) recipes. Not a bad "first book" for a pressure cooker, to be supplemented when you get more experience. If you pressure cooker doesn't come with a manual, that would be a reasonable choice in place of one. However, if you already have the very basics worked out, and are looking for interesting recipes, look elsewhere.