Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2010
An early childhood memory of the forties had produced an obstacle to overcome. One of the first pressure cookers, a Presto, had resulted in my grandmother's bespattered kitchen and a hole in the ceiling from the pressure valve catapulting. My friends and family all use pressure cookers and assured me that these difficulties had been resolved many years ago. They were pleased by my new-found enterprise. To my relief and pleasure, there were no geysers or flying valves. I took my time and read all the directions very carefully; they were so clear that my confidence was unshaken. The book, PRESSURE COOKING PROPERLY EXPLAINED was extremely encouraging and straightforward. On my very first attempt, Jamie Oliver's recipe of chicken cooked in cider and mushrooms, was a resounding success with my family. I love the clip-on handles for easy handling.
on 30 December 2009
OK, it's not as if pressure cooking is a mystery any more; if you really need to know how and why it works you can always Google it. Apart from that, a greater array of recipes, that use the cornucopia of ingredients available to the modern chef, would be more than useful, otherwise I'm going to have to start experimenting, using the stuff in this book as a jumping-off point. Any volunteers for the Letitia Cropley Experimental Cookery Club? In short, it'll get you started, but Mrs Beeton's it ain't.
on 4 February 2009
Well having just bought a pressure cooker for the first time I wanted a book which would rid me of the picture I had of my mother-in-law's hissing monster. This book is clear and helpful it dispelled all of my fears and got me on the road to redemption and I am so glad I bought it.
on 7 January 2011
First recipe I tried was a disaster. The floured meat as (stated in the recipe) stuck to the bottom of the pressure cooker, blackening it. A good cook told me NEVER to put floured meat in a pressure cooker with already cooked onions (also stated in the recipe). If I can salvage my pressure cooker, I will try and cook something elsle !! This was the first time I have cooked with a pressure cooker and followed the instructions correctly.

Very disappointed in the book.
on 3 June 2015
At first sight when the book arrived, I was underwhelmed by its size. This is a small paperback sized book, and quite thin, and is on cheap quality paper. It is also a very old book: originally released in 1978. Despite these concerns, it does actually cover all the basics, and has several dependable (if not somewhat dated) recipes. Not a bad "first book" for a pressure cooker, to be supplemented when you get more experience. If you pressure cooker doesn't come with a manual, that would be a reasonable choice in place of one. However, if you already have the very basics worked out, and are looking for interesting recipes, look elsewhere.
on 3 February 2010
At last an 'English' pressure cooker recipe book. I'm not new to pressure cooking but have just bought a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker, an excellent piece of equipment but NO recipe book and my old Tower pressure cooker book is a bit outdated. This book is equally good for people new to pressure cooking as well as the 'old hands' full of good recipes.
on 16 February 2010
As a first time pressure cooker user, I found this book very useful. It clearly explains how a pressure cooker works and how to use a pressure cooker. It gives you precise quantities of the amount of liquid required for various foods and vegetables and their cooking times. There are some very good recipes which I have already successfully tried - I cooked a whole 4lb chicken in 30 mins. and it was perfectly cooked and moist. I thoroughly recommend this book to get you started and I found it to be good value for money. For those who want to be a bit more adventurous, you may wish to purchase a larger recipe book once you've become confident using a pressure cooker.
on 21 June 2012
This book was first published in 1978, the diagrams of pressure cookers look like they did in the 70's. If like me you have a cooker that cooks at 12 and 6 pounds you will have to adapt the recipes as they are in 15, 10 and 5 pound pressures.
on 25 February 2012
I bought this book more than 30 years ago when I had my first pressure cooker and it's still the book I go back to for basic recipes.
My original copy has been held together with sellotape for a long time so I was delighted to be able to get a new one!
on 28 September 2013
I just bought a pressure cooker and the instruction manual was a little light on recipes. This books has a nice introduction to the different styles of pressure cooker and each chapter on various food types also comes with a handy intro section. I have only made one recipe from it so far and it worked out really well. Note this is not the glossy cookbooks you may be use to. Its the size of a paperback and there are no colour photos...it sort of reminds me of my mothers old cookbooks. The recipes are easy to follow and it contains all the classics.