4.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you all about drawing
This book teaches beginners how to think positive and have faith, when they have a pencil in their hands. Basic rules of drawing are explained, with each chapter featuring different subjects for you to draw. Throughout the book, there are assignments for you to carry out. By reading this book you are given the confidence to pick up a pencil and draw. An interesting and...
Published on 30 Oct 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Big on motivation, lacking in instruction
This book is great at convincing you that you can draw - which for a lot of us is big hurdle, however while it has many examples, it does not contain any real insight into how they are constructed.
Published 13 months ago by BruceBoomstick

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot go wrong with this book!, 13 Sep 2013
I don't want to even think about how much money I must've spent on 'how to draw' books over the years!

This book is a little gem. 100% motivating. I've drawn the seascape picture and shown it to friends. Apart from being wowed by it myself, I found my friends were amazed at how lovely the drawing looked.

I am pleased to say that Mark Linley, the author of this book, believes in starting simply and then slowly working up to more advanced work.

Mark's approach would most likely also suit artists who are returning to drawing. You can often enrich your knowledge of anything by having a basic book handy. You pick up things on the second time around that you previously missed.

I like this book so much I have bought 3 copies of it and given them to my friends and family. I will now buy the Kindle version as I can't bear the thought of leaving for my holiday and forgetting to pack this wonderful book.
My NetBook computer surgically attached, (according to my Mum!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
This is a great book for those, like me, who think they cannot draw. It gives you a line drawing and asks you to copy it. There is a little info on how to do this, but it is more about having the confidence to try, which this book gives you. The book is all black and white and gives limited advice on different techniques or materials - there are other more glossy and expensive books which do this better. I am over 50 and have never been able to draw, but then I have never been taught. By following this book I find that actually I can produce pictures that look like they should and it is good fun. I think anyone who follows the advice in this book will find that they can draw. It is the only book I have found that really gives you the confidence and skill to draw anything. Without getting too bogged down in producing a masterpiece you can learn to draw everything from trees to dogs to people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what you need, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
Being an artist, I am constantly on the lookout for interesting books on techniques for painting and drawing. Giving the book a cursory glance at some of the illustrations I was surprised at how poor they were, on closer inspection I can see that this book is completely at odds with any art school teaching that I have come across. The author seems to think that copying his illustrations will somehow make you understand about observational drawing and it certainly will not. Observational drawing is about looking hard at the subject, understanding the underlying structure and rendering what you see, it is hard work. This book will not make you a better artist, it will merely show you how to copy the authors second rate cartoons. I firmly believe this book will seriously hinder the development of anyone who uses it to improve their drawing skills. If you really want to learn how to draw, buy any of the Andrew loomis titles Successful Drawing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Cartoony, 29 April 2005
Louis "lk28" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
If you are a complete beginner and do not aspire to fine art, or just want to draw as a bit of fun then get this book.
If however you want to draw 'properly' do not get this! I would recommend 'The Complete Book of Drawing' by Barrington Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Draw Anything - Most Highly Recommended!, 9 May 2012
Susan Curtis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
I am a beginner in drawing, and I have found this book such an inspiration. The author has got such an encouraging and positive attitude, which helped to build up my confidence. My drawing has come along in leaps and bounds, and now I am hooked!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cartoony drawings, 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
This book is ok, and is helpfully aimed at the beginner, but it only helps you draw cartoony drawings. Doesn't really do sketching at all, and has a disappointing section on how to draw people. The only reason I let it off so much is that it's only 3-4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouragement to draw, 21 Mar 2010
W. Aisthorpe "wendy" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
I bought this as a bit of encouragement for my Mum, as she has taken up Watercolours, I thought it might be useful to also give her a helping hand in the drawing section too..............
She says "it's great!" I'm pleased too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift., 11 Jan 2010
linkman (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
I got this book for a christmas present for my dad who has recently got into drawing and he loves it and said it tells you everything you need to know for getting started.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to draw, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
Good value, excellent all round book ! Ready with my pencil ! Very happy with it compared to other expensive books, but why bother at this price ?!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too simple., 10 Jun 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
If you are a complete novice and do not aim to high standards, or just want to draw as a bit of fun then get this book.

I ordered this book for a young boy and had to return it (yes, even though the price is so low you might as well keep the book, but I realised that it will just gather dust). There are a number of good instructions given in the book (i.e. how to draw rivers which do not flow into the sky and how to correctly contemplate horizon etc.), but the majority of sketches are very simple and not at all exciting, moreover the book is of poor quality.

But what pushed me to return the book was a chapter dedicated to anatomy of human body - even though it was somewhat decent, I felt it still was inappropriate for a young boy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

How To Draw Anything
How To Draw Anything by Mark Linley (Paperback - 27 Aug 2009)
5.99