4.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you all about drawing
Published on 30 Oct 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Big on motivation, lacking in instruction
This book is great at convincing you that you can draw - which for a lot of us is big hurdle, however while it has many examples, it does not contain any real insight into how they are constructed.
Published 13 months ago by BruceBoomstick

4.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you all about drawing, 30 Oct 2000
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
This book teaches beginners how to think positive and have faith, when they have a pencil in their hands. Basic rules of drawing are explained, with each chapter featuring different subjects for you to draw. Throughout the book, there are assignments for you to carry out. By reading this book you are given the confidence to pick up a pencil and draw. An interesting and useful book for those wanting to learn how to draw, and for those wanting to improve their drawing skills. I enjoyed this book, as the author writes annecdotes about his experiences and it just made me want to get drawing straight away. I have read other books on drawing, and this is one of the best I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at this price, 10 Nov 2002
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewer.
This is a basically sound introduction to drawing with pen/pencil and the author's enthusiasm is very infectious: you'll definitely be inspired to give it a go or improve your existing skills after reading it.
It's nowhere near as in-depth or accomplished as something like Civardi's 'Drawing Techniques' and some of Linley's "portraits" are pretty dire, though he does present some very neat female nudes done with an absolute minumum of lines. His text, however, is always very encouraging and positive.
At the price, highly recommended for beginners and more advanced students alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 18 Oct 2004
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
For a complete beginner like myself, I couldn't draw for toffee! This book has inspired me to draw landscapes in a simple to follow manner. My family have been amazed at the ease to which I have taken to this new hobby. Very easy, concise and enthusing narrative really is motivational. I thoroughly recommend this book for people such as me who like things simple!

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun!, 25 Mar 2009
J. E. Henry "Tartanratbag" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
How to Draw AnythingWas always bad at art at school, so assumed I'd never be able to draw, but this little book's a gem. Just wish I had several hours free every day to play with the ideas in it! I'm never going to get to the Royal Academy, but at least I can see now it's not just down to being "a natural", so if you want to get a bit of confidence and start drawing for fun, this book is a great help.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big on motivation, lacking in instruction, 24 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 25 Jan 2005
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
My mother found this book and was amazed at the price. She is learning to draw portraits, and wanted a book that showed her how to do things step by step, especially with facial features.
Not only does this book provide valuable tips and examples on portraiture, but it also shows you in detail how to draw landscapes, people in general, animals, buildings, and practically everything else. My mum has since created some wonderful pictures just by using this book (different mouth shapes, noses, eyes) and is entirely happy.
After seeing her copy I went and bought my own (I want to improve my drawing of people) and I have to say, it is brilliant. Understandably, the key IS to keep on practising, but at this price you cannot get a better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Draw, 2 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (Bracknell, Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book!!

The best ever book for me.

Years and years ago, I was told by my teachers that I was rubbish and could NEVER draw!!

Alas I believed them then, but now know that NO TEACHER would ever say that nowadays, thank goodness.In his book, Mark Linley dealt with that very negative report, step by step. Firstly by saying very confidently, that drawing IS a skill that can be learned.

He helps us to avoid costly mistakes at Art Suppliers, by telling us that very simple Tools, or materials needed, for drawing. Even a Drawing Board, he said, can be rigged out of a few books. Because of the skills I learned through Mark's teaching, I later went on to a 4 week Watercolour book. While the 2 Mediums are very different, I would never had had the courage to go to an art course of any kind, were it not for knowing that drawing can be learned.
I am amazed at what I can produce now, on Cartridge paper and pen and pencil.

Top marks for this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but there is a snag . . ., 29 Jun 2004
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
Good advice for an amazing price. This book on its own is not going to transform you into a Renoir or Degas, but you will improve if you follow it's guidelines.
If you're very much a beginner, you would do well to look at Betty Davis' superbly effective "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". However, as with any "learn to draw" book, you will only improve if you practise, practise, practise. This is hard on your own, so try and setup / join a small group of budding artists for mutual support, learning and encouragement. Alternatively, join a local art class - they're highly sociable and you'll be amazed at how much you learn. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best beginners guide I've seen! Buy it!, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: How to Draw Anything (Paperback)
Having spent the past 20 odd years being told I can't draw, I've followed the basic steps in the first chapter & have had people raving about my artwork. He breaks everything down into really simple steps and makes it sound sooo easy! If you only buy one guide book make it this one.

He shows you the pictures in basic steps so it's all broken down for you. Makes it a lot easier this way. Mark Linley believes that anyone who can write letters can draw - and following this book he might well be right. I rarely take the time to review a book, but believe it is well worth it in this case.

Buy it and enjoy what may become a major hobby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "How To" book I've ever bought, 14 Feb 2013
J. Wooller (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Draw Anything (Paperback)
This book came to my attention via the Amazon - If you bought this you might like this - feature. The good reviews intrigued me, I have never been able to draw and indeed have never been much bothered about it. However, I decided it might be a little pastime during these long winter evenings and decided to give it a go. I started last week and am methodically working my way through the book in order hence I am still on chapter 1 - Landscapes. I have done 7 sketches so far and my progression is astounding. It has fired my belief and enthusiasm and I can't wait to discover just what I am capable of drawing. A wonderful book. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.

How To Draw Anything
How To Draw Anything by Mark Linley (Paperback - 27 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 0.85