Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2007
I liked this book. It is defiantely for the slow cooker novice. The only thing i didnt like, is that it didnt have any pictures. This book explained everything in precise detail, and even gave suggestions on, for example, what kind of rice to use - not what brand, but the actual kind, rather than just saying "Rice". The recipes range from meats, to pates, and desserts. I would recommend this book for anyone who is just starting out with their first slow cooker, and needs ideas to keep them from cooking just the recipes that come with the cooker.
on 1 March 2011
I have 3 different slow cooking books and of them all, I have found this to be the best. It will tell you about the slow cooker, different cuts of meat and methodologies involved with slow cooking. If you read the first part of the book thoroughly (and follow the advice), then you cannot go wrong.

Some people have mentioned that the recipes in the book are very basic. I like use the recipes as a basic guide. I believe that this book provides you with enough information to allow you to cook at a basic level, and then once you have mastered the basics, don't be scared to use a little imagination!

Some people have mentioned that there are no pictures. Whilst I may agree, I'm all for this if it helps keep the cost of the book down. It also avoids dissapointment when the cooked food doesn't look like the way it is presented in other books. At the end of the day, if you're that desparate to see what the food looks like, a quick google search may provide what you need. Besides, I like to work with what is in the recipe, rather than what it looks like.
on 27 February 2009
This book does exactly what it says on the cover. It explains in simple terms how to get the best out of your slow cooker. It was just what I was looking for, and the recipes I've tried so far have been delicious!
A great buy for slow-cooking novices :-)
on 5 November 2010
I ordered this item as a gift for my Grandma who has recently purchased a slow cooker but isn't quite sure what to do with it. Although the content of the book is excellent & exactly what she needs, the book & print are probably too small for an elderly lady. But for the price I paid it was good value. It would be nice if the dimensions of the book were given as part of the item description.
on 29 November 2013
The recipes are good. I have used several already. My problem is the lack of an index. I had to read through the book and bookmark anything I wanted to try. This is a problem I often have with kindle. It is fine for reading from beginning to end, often useless for finding a particular item.
on 27 May 2013
Very disappointed with this book. Most of the recipes require some form of pre cooking before going in to the slow cooker. I was looking for a book that would create one dish meals without having to pre cook. Would not recommend it.
on 11 December 2013
I am new to slow cooking, and needed a simple book to introduce me to this way of enjoying a hearty meal, on these long cold winter evenings. Well, it's basic, but covers everything from soups to great stews and puddings. Black and white drawings and fundamentals, so if you want a glossy pop up style publication, then this is not for you. Strange how I got on to it in the first place; I looked at another guide, and was steered toward this by another reader. Great work Amazon on good democratic reviews.
on 24 June 2011
This is a great wee book. The info at the beginning is really useful and easy to follow if you are new to or need reminding about how make the best out of your slow cooker.
Just flicking through I can the see alot of the recipes are nice traditional-type recipes, with easy to get hold of ingredients and not too ambitious. It's good wholesome food that I know I'll like and will actually cook.
I bought 'Hamlyn All Colour Cookbooks 200 Slow Cooker Recipes' at the same time and while it has alot of nice photos and alot of tasty-looking recipes, it just looks a bit ambitious and you really have to go searching for ingredients etc. Also it includes recipes desserts and thing which i just don't see myself using.
on 31 October 2011
just got my book in the post,never owned a slow cooker,ibrought one from argos last week,in a sale,it has changed my life about cooking,i go to my meat market in town and buy the cheap cuts of meat, and my new slow cooker cooks stews like resturant food,its tastes out of this world, the meat just falls of the bone,with the veg magic!!!!i cook a full pot and put in in plastic contaners,let it cool then put it in the frezzer, but you need to buy the book,once you cracked it,it comes easy to cook its a must for familys,i never eat burgers and chips,you know what you are putting in your body when you cook with a slow cooker , a great xmas present
on 21 June 2016
A good book in the old fashioned style, with explanations of how to use a slow cooker, with plenty of hints on how to choose and how to use one. There are no glossy colour photos (other than the cover), but there are few are black and white line drawings to illustrate a point, such as chopping vegetables and lifting out a hot bowl from inside the slow cooker. Besides that, there are many recipes that I would want to cook - Scotch Broth, Irish Stew, many chicken dishes, rice pudding, herb and garlic bread, several puddings, even chocolate cake and mulled wine - not something I ever associated with a slow cooker! Yet it would obviously be wrong to call the book itself old fashioned. Rather it takes the approach of thorough explanations rather than glossy photographs. There's nothing wrong with glossies, of course, in fact I have a slow cooker book stuffed with colourful pictures of dishes made by recipes from soups and main courses to desserts and cakes. However, this 'Slow Cooking Properly Explained' book is exactly what I wanted to complement my other slow cooking recipe books.