Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2003
as a resident of suffolk, england it is not easy to find bridge classes. i despaired of ever learning the game of bridge but since buying this book, i have managed to teach myself to a level where i can enjoy social games with my friends. It has made a big difference to my social life. What is more, each of my bridge friends has found items they did not know contained in the book and they too - even as experienced players have bought copies. Paul Mendleson writes very clearly, very easy to understand and brilliant charts with great aide memoires.
Very good - looking forward to reaching the standard for his other books. I'm hooked.
0Comment|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2008
This is a very good book for beginners, describing the game and covering both the key aspects of both play and bidding well. Bidding methods are basic standard Acol, which is the standard system for either social or club bridge in the UK, so it means you can play them with any new partner. Selection of material is excellent - covers what beginners need to know without including non-essentials. Very clearly written in an easy to read style. Value for money is excellent as well. There are just a couple of key omissions - notably that he does not state that a double of 1NT is always for penalties, which is the exact opposite of the double of a suit bid for takeout, so could be costly! Nevertheless, definitely five stars. I would say this and Klinger's "Basic Bridge" Basic Bridge: The Guide to Good Acol Bidding & Play (Master Bridge Series) are the two best books on bridge for beginners; the choice between them depends on style - Mendelson is a bit more chatty.
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2009
Having checked out several bridge tutorials, I took the plunge and bought this book purely on Paul Mendelson's reputation.
All I can say is that his reputation as the Uk's best selling bridge author is completely justified.
This book takes you step by step through the game,from the number of cards used and their values through to strategy and tactics,scoring, etiquette- everything you need. I use this book in conjunction with the Times bridge PC software and am learning at my own pace without the PC ever raising an eyebrow over my stupid mistakes.
A great book,opening a whole new world for a bargain price.
Buy it.
on 11 December 2009
I have been playing Bridge at a fairly low level for three years. The group that I play with are of mixed ability and, although I have always played cards fairly well, I have not been inclined to spend hours learning the rules and protocol of bridge. This book has changed that. Everything is explained in a basic down to earth manner and I find myself reading a chapter whenever I have a spare moment.

Undoubtedly, the more proficient and knowlegable one becomes, the more enjoyable and challenging the game is to play.

This book has also been enjoyed by experienced Bridge players who have found the easy to read text both entertaining and informative.
on 17 July 2010
Bridge is a complex game. This book really does break it down into nice - easy to follow chunks.
Each chapter goes through different aspects and then summarises all the points in a 'Briefing' page at the end of the chapter.
The first chapter 'Absolute Beginners' - is just that - a good basic introduction to the game.
Chapters deal with Bidding, Responding, Opening Leads and basic signals.
I have tried to read other books on Bridge but have found this one the best by far - a nice easy to follow writing style.
As someone who is still learning the game I have found this book invaluable.
on 30 April 2013
This is the only comprehensible book on Bridge I've ever come across. Really well explained by someone who clearly understands how to teach. It doesn't assume you know anything about card games at all, yet isn't patronising. It guides you through the various aspects of the game systematically and let allows you to get on with having a go at it without having to know every detail of how to play in advance. A model of teaching.
on 30 September 2009
The explanations are good, pitched at the right level for me, a complete beginner. However, the writing style is unnecessarily familiar and self-indulgent from time to time, and can be irritating. I would still recommend the book for its information and explanations.
on 28 November 2009
Excellent book for Bridge novices. Even a dummy like me could follow the well written and easy to understand instructions.
on 11 December 2011
This is a nice little book to help the real beginner. It makes good bedtime reading without blinding you with the detail of more advanced tomes. Dirt cheap, it provides basic information at a basic price.
on 11 August 2009
Great book; clear, concise, organised. Having played American (Goren) bridge many years ago, I was starting again. This book did the trick.