5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Allotment Guide my thoughts
Another great little book from Mr Harrison, I was very impressed with his 1st book Vegetable Growing Month-by-month: The Down-to-earth Guide That Takes You Through the Vegetable Year and his second certainly does not disappoint.
"The Essential Allotment Guide" is written with the gardener in mind, with simple and concise information on subjects like how to get a...
Published on 14 May 2009 by One man and his plot

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative guide
Quite a decent guide although I found it a dryer read than some of the reviews led me to expect. Not inspiring enough to read cover to cover but useful to dip into as and when the need arises.
Published 13 months ago by Top Banana

5.0 out of 5 stars pleased, 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Essential Allotment Guide: How to Get the Best out of Your Plot (Paperback)
I found this book very useful and easy to follow. useful for the beginner, me, as well as experienced gardeners alike. Recommended and covers most areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivation, 20 Aug 2010
I was slightly disappointed when the book arrived to see that it is only the size of a normal paperback. Once I started reading, all doubts fell away and I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style and subject matter, in fact the size is an advantage because it is easy to keep with your other books rather than have to resort to tall or deep shelf space. The illustrations are an excellent addition to the feel of the book and and overall I have not a bad word to say about it. As with any book, it can only include so much and I think you must expect to need further reference material if you are really wanting in depth coverage of a particular subject. I kept wanting to read more and was inspired to go out there and get going, what more can you ask?

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic allotment information, 10 Jan 2011
I was a little disappointed when this book first arrived but given the low price it is a good starting point for those of us new to allotments. My main criticisms are that a) it doesn't seem to take into account the fact that allotments are increasingly being sub-divided into smaller parcels of land. This brings real challenges in terms of what to plant. It would have been helpful to have some suggested first year planting schemes to get a newcomer started and b) the contents are a bit haphazard, e.g Radish appears after Swedes, Leeks after Onions etc.....alphabetical would be easier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative guide, 27 Feb 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Allotment Guide, 12 Oct 2011
I found this book to be just OK, there are some good bits in it but it is far too small I am glad I didn't pay the full price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 23 Jun 2011
As keen allotmenteers, my wife and I have about a dozen different books on how to work and allotment. This book is as good as any and very down to earth, no pun intended. I bought it for my wife and we both read it. Unlike others we've got this one doesn't go in for lavish photo's or pictures but is full of useful, easy to follow information.
I think anyone who's starting to work an allotment for the first time will find it invaluable. Others who, like us, are old hands will still find some interesting ideas in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daughter uses it, 1 Jan 2014
This was purchased for my daughter as she had just acquired a allotment over the year she has looked up several times. arrived as expected.

ARRAY(0x9cd81eac)