4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Dip Into Book

3.0 out of 5 stars practical, sensible and useful
Published on 13 Dec 2010 by helsbells

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Dip Into Book, 5 May 2010
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
I bought this book partly in response to the recession and partly because I was curious about keeping hens in a built up area. It's a lovely book with an inviting and cosy writing style which made me dip in and read more every time I passed it - I even took it to bed! I loved the recipes and was a bit shocked to read about the commercial bread making process. I've found tips on everything from making the most of supermarket offers to storing vegetables. John Harrison writes like your uncle and I shall dip into his book regularly. As a manual it would need to be too big to carry around but as a motivational starter it's just perfect. We need more common sense like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Savvy savings, 14 Aug 2010
Carole-anne Davies "sparkla" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
Even for those of us who recycle, shun supermarkets, cut waste and cook - there are fresh tips to be found in this little book which can be read cover to cover in one short sitting. We grow what we can and have cut down food and packaging waste by only buying what we need so we thought we were doing ok. But this little book flagged up the fact that we really don't need to run the dishwasher for two hours on eco - 30mins does the job fine and slashes the energy cost; we always check and switch off our standbys but we'd overlooked the 'phones on charge all the time and the 'sleeping' computer; we'd forgotten how delicious bread and butter pud can be - considering it's made largely of stale bread and above all - we'd forgotten how rewarding life is when waste is cut, achievement is a daily event with home grown veg, home made jams and chutney etc and the freezer is full - all without the grind (and fuel cost) of the supermarket and the groan of the bills. It's not about austerity or frugality - it's about living a good life. If I have one complaint it's about some of the comments regarding water saving - that it's not all that important in a country as wet as the UK. Well even here in Wales with our rainfall we had drought orders this year - and let's face it water, like everything else is a precious resource - we should be using it wisely. It's easy to put this book aside and say 'well I knew that before I bought the book, it's just common sense' - but the key thing is not just knowing, it's doing. And don't say you haven't got the time - we both work full time, long hours - and this is a darn site more rewarding and relaxing than reality TV!

4.0 out of 5 stars Low Cost Living, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
Great book with lots of handy money saving tips. Also had some good recipes to make with home grown foods. I did feel that some of the suggestions were more inclined towards country living that high rise apartment, however a good read all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars low cost living, 29 July 2009
K. D. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
Excellent - easy to read and extremely informative! From someone who loses interest part way through most books - that's one heck of a compliment! Would highly recommend. We are looking to move to France and becoming self sufficient - this book will definitely help. I bought the author's other books - all very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem!, 11 July 2009
S. Robb (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
I love the way this book shows how a less consumerist, more ecological lifestyle can also be more economical. I am also impressed by how it is helpful to those who are new to the concept as well as to those (like me) who are already converted.
It's very well organised and also indexed, so can be read cover to cover and just dipped into when you want information about something specific, and the basic guidance is nicely laced with interesting facts and background information.
The first half is all about food, (including recipes), and the second half covers the other aspects of our lives where savings can be made, and the environment treated a little more respectfully.
I am sure that anyone buying it will save the (minimal) cost of the book many times over by following the advice within it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book. Good price., 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
Great little reference guide for anyone into their vegetable plot. Lots of useful stuff like how to store produce. Very cheap and very cheerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 14 Jun 2010
P. Kinsella - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
Not only is this book useful it was an enjoyable read. Informative, amusing and not condescending I recommend to anyone who wishes to cut back on bills or wants to live a more sustainable lifestyle. It wont give you answers to everything but it is a good book to read if you are just starting out on the road to a greener future. I have most of the books written by this author - he not only passes on knowledge he entertains you too with an informal, chatty writing style. Well worth the price - and at least he keeps to his ethics by keeping the price low - many of these books are a ridiculous price!!

3.0 out of 5 stars practical, sensible and useful, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
I found this book full of practical and useful advice. Admittedly most of what it told me I already knew, but to be reminded of the things you could be doing motivates you to go and do it. The book is written in a friendly, kindly way which is easy to read. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't give a failsafe white bread recipe and I didn't agree with some of the things he said about food safety.
I would recommend this book for people starting down the road towards self-sufficiency, but for an experienced and intelligent person some of the information in the book is pretty obvious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for who is living the standard consumation life., 29 Dec 2010
Veronica Setterhall "V-kaos" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
A very nice book with many hands-on tips on things one can do to reduce costs in life and get time over for other things.

I like the writers view that you should find out how far you're willing to go yourself. Many other books and sources claim you should do "everything" including shearing your own sheep, spin your yarn, weave your cloth and sew your own clothes by hand. That's not a life for everyone and might turn people away from getting a bit of interest in how they consume and how they can change it for the better. Not only for the environment - but for themselves too getting better products lasting longer!

For someone already baking their own bread, mending some clothes, cooking from basic ingredients etc maybe this book doesn't have so much new information. But it's a good inspiration to see how someone else has changed his life, without sacrificing upon good standards.

For me, also some information about what's legal in food production also made me think a bit more. I already knew things were bad and that some dubious substances go into our food, but here I got some new information that made me even more read on the labels in the supermarket.

In short: A good inspirational book that is written in a very sympathic way, but probably mostly aimed for the beginner in self-sufficient living.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starting Point, 29 Dec 2010
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less (Paperback)
If you looking for ways to make your lifestyle greener and in so doing to save some money then this little book would be a good start. It has chapters on such topics making bread, butter, cheese, bee keeping, chickens, growing fruit and veg, as well as on food storage, cleaning, energy use etc. Each chapter is short and illustrated with just a few simple line drawings.
It is a good starting point. Read this book and then research further on any topics that stimulate your interest. Anyone considering a greener lifestyle could do worse than making this book their point of departure.

Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less
Low-Cost Living: Live better, spend less by John Harrison (Paperback - 28 May 2009)
4.79