Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2013
I played chess at school about thirty years ago and felt like taking it up again. I already knew the moves, but I had no tactics whatsoever and thought that it was too difficult to learn such things now at my age. I am really pleased with this book. It covers absolutely everything and made me feel much more confident in my game. I particularly enjoyed the actual games that had been played towards the end of the book - made me feel like a champion in my own living room!
on 30 January 2015
this book took me from a novice to winning my first game in a week
on 18 March 2013
A great way of upping your game. It is suitable for beginners and I thought that the first half would not be applicable to me but I was soon learning new techniques.
on 15 June 2014
good book alittle hard to get through and i think you would require to use this as a reference book. i would still buy at the great price.
on 8 June 2012
I have not finished reading this book yet but it seems to be excellent from a beginners viewpoint. It is carefully laid out, step by step.
on 2 April 2014
Good book for beginners, and people who want to pick up pointers. Still halfway through the book. Recommend it for learning chess.
on 1 January 2012
This was purchased for my son who loves chess and is determed to be the champion amongst his frinds and other family members. He is 10 and said it is a good book. He couldn't put it down and that was on Christmas Day.!
on 25 September 2015
brought for the missus, i could buy 20 books and she will still not be able to under stand the vagaries of Chess.. good book though, easy to read and understand, unless your married to my missus.
on 23 April 2016
It is a classic for a reason. It really does teach a beginner the right way to play chess.
on 2 August 2015
An excellent book for instruction move by move. I have high hopes my rating will improve.