Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2014
Great book to have for a novice type player like myself. Im in a chess club & have put some good moves from this book into practice with some good results ;-)
on 7 February 2010
Really good no-nonsense guide with plenty of information, from getting started to planning cool moves.
on 1 April 2014
I bought this book as a chess novice, wanting to learn the game. Even I could see that there are errors in some of the examples given. Explanations are not always clear either. This book was written 64 years ago in 1950 and has been reprinted many times and updated by another author. To still have errors in it is unforgivable. I would not recommend this book.
on 24 April 2014
I can play chess and I understand the basics -- the moves each piece can make and the importance of the individual pieces. But what I lack is a way of thinking that can look ahead into the moves and the mind of my opponent. I also fail miserably when attempting to checkmate an opponent. Basically, I lack the sort of mind that is good at chess! So I bought this book in the hopes that it would help me to do this. It did not. But it was good if one needs to understand the basics of the game itself.
on 19 January 2013
From moves, tactics and strategies, to standard openings and endings, this has everything for the beginner. I am systematically learning it all, and it's great.
I had this book years ago but gave it away as I was only messing around with chess, now I'm ready to learn it properly. But there is a new chapter on teaching children which is very patronizing.
on 27 December 2012
I got this book to act as refresher for openings , having not played chess for fourty years. It is spot on for this and well worth it. Compared with the Dummies opening guide this is much the better bokk for my purpose.
on 26 February 2013
I played chess at school about thirty years ago and felt like taking it up again. I already knew the moves, but I had no tactics whatsoever and thought that it was too difficult to learn such things now at my age. I am really pleased with this book. It covers absolutely everything and made me feel much more confident in my game. I particularly enjoyed the actual games that had been played towards the end of the book - made me feel like a champion in my own living room!
on 6 June 2016
Comprehensive, however there is very little insight that isn't available on the internet. Excellent coverage of the opening, middlegame and endgame, as well as a few tactical combinations. Examples of ideas are taken from real games that are annotated and explained accurately. The only thing that annoyed me was having diagrams and notation on opposite sides of a page, but if something that petty is the only complaint then it speaks volumes of this book's value to a noob like me.
There are also a few pages at the beginning of the book, completely describing the rules and general ideas of chess.
on 1 January 2012
This was purchased for my son who loves chess and is determed to be the champion amongst his frinds and other family members. He is 10 and said it is a good book. He couldn't put it down and that was on Christmas Day.!
on 15 January 2013
I was so pleased that there is an Algebraic Notation version to update this book. My first copy was 3/6. I have wasted hours updating some of the examples, for other people, to Algebraic Notation (so called - anyone but a dummy knows that this is nothing to do with algebra - not at this level of simple co-ordinates) - Alpha-Numeric notation would be more accurate.
Now the job has been done. Does anyone out there know when some dude is going to do the same for Harry Golombek's book "The Game of Chess" - a fortune is waiting to be made with an Alpha-Numeric notation version!!!