5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - guaranteed to impress
As the title suggests - down to earth guide. You can really relate to the author and the information goes further than the usual veg books, rather than the usual colour photos of tools, veg etc, its crammed with tips and advice that are usually passed down from generations. There are diagrams and sketches when needed - simple clear and easy to follow. Another thing I...
Published on 9 April 2008 by Paula Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading Title
I'm afraid I was very disappointed by this book. I purchased it on the title and reviews expecting what it said on the box. A book that took me, a newbie to all this, through the season month by month.

Published on 20 Nov. 2009 by Baron Bratby Immortaleye photo...

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Awaiting January......, 15 Aug. 2008
Ms. Carla A. Davies "Lala" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegetable Growing Month-by-Month: The down-to-earth guide that takes you through the vegetable year (Paperback)
This is a brilliant and very cheap little book. It doesn't take much reading and has all the area you could require for a simple garden. The A-Z of vegetables is clear; just what is needed to go with the month by month guide. It is also helpful to deal with any problems one might come across. All together a well rounded book! Some of the diagrams would perhaps benefit from some colour though. Carla x

2.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading Title, 20 Nov. 2009

Well yes there is a small section with perfunctory descriptions of tasks for that month. This is little more than one chapter of the entire book however and not at all what I expected. The rest was just padding. The sort of incidental fluff you can probably find in all the other books you will not doubt accumulate on the subject.

If you want a simple guide to growing vegetable fine. If like me however you was seeking a book that would lead you by the hand through each month setting out in detail what to do and plant each week then this is not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Budget Book, 30 April 2008
A. Grant "Scottish Buyer" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book has much more detail and info than the glossy photo books. It is a nice compact size and I have found the advice very useful as a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 4 Feb. 2009
I am just starting growing veg and I have found this book to be very helpful and informative.
It is written in plain (non gardening jargon) everyday language and gives you lots of little tips/hints. I feel that the information given is straight forward and practical and not full of stuff that I am unlikely to need. I am constantly picking it up and using it far more than many of my more expensive "thicker" books. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for all new gardeners, 29 Mar. 2008
L. J. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
John Harrison's book is clearly laid out with sensible advice and tips for beginners and experienced gardeners alike. It is written in a style that makes you feel you are having a chat over the fence to the great gardener next door. It won't stay on my book shelf; I'll be referring to it all year round!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as the book title says!, 23 Mar. 2008
John's book offers down to earth advice in a friendly chatty way, keeping an eye to simplicity (and the "have a go spirit") but also offering useful knowledge to help ensure success. A wealth of information in a book small enough to be brought to the plot for on the spot reference. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The easiest quick guide Ive read, 8 April 2009
L. Bruce - See all my reviews
This is a really good buy - It feels like an old uncle giving you a helping hand! Nothing complicated - just exactly what you need to know when you're just starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Written with a passion for Vegetables., 13 Dec. 2008
J. Trim "The Judge" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I can only echo the observations of most other readers. A great value no frills book packed with knowledge. Written by a genuine kithchen gardener. As a horticultural lecturer this is one book I would recommend to those new to vegetable gardening.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very informative little book, 18 Mar. 2009
M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great little book, but not to a lot of peoples tastes as there'e no colour pictures in it. It covers all the basics and that's all it needs to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brill, 9 Dec. 2008
Mr. S. Mee "Steve" (uk) - See all my reviews
I hadn't a clue until I got this book, but now I am a lot wiser as to what to do and when to do it. I recommend this book to any fresher like me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›