4.0 out of 5 stars It' s much more than a 'How to do' book!, 8 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
Whilst browsing through the cookery section in my local library, I came across "The Right Way to Make Jams" by Cyril Grange, FRHS. Having dabbled with jam and chutney making before, I decided to borrow the book before embarking on a more serious attempt.
I was impressed by the way the book is set out. Principles and methods are explained in simple, no nonsense language, and easy to follow instructions, without patronising the reader. Even quite daunting (for a novice) procedures, e.g. pectin testing, are clearly explained.
There is ample advice on which varieties or combinations of fruit and vegetables will achieve the best results. All areas of preserve making are covered, along with common problems, causes and their remedies.
With so much infomation to impart to the reader, the topic could be daunting and heavy going. This book is anything but. The authors "off the cuff" comments make you feel as if he is speaking to you personally, answering questions you have as you go along. It is much more than a "how to do" book!
I was so impressed, that I bought the book, and now feel confident that following the recipes and advice will lead to stress free preserve making in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right way to make jams, 10 Sep 2004
C S Roy (Tunstall, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
I have the original paperback version of this book which was given to me by my Mother.
I have never made jam before and found this book to be invaluable. It explains clearly and step by step how to make not only jams but chutneys,curds,fruit jellies, conserves etc.
This book is written clearly and explains all aspects in a step by step format. It has loads of information for the beginner with troubleshooting tips and contains everything that you need to know about making preserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every kitchen should have one, 10 July 2008
A. S. Gilbert (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
I had my first copy of this book in the 1970's and original got so scruffy I had to buy another one. The latest edition quotes weights in metric as well as imperial.

The general advice is very sound, easy to follow and to understand the principles behind making jam, chutney, pickling and preserving, and there is a wealth of inspiring recipes. Not that it is necessary to follow the recipes exactly, because the explanatory sections give you confidence and knowledge to make up your own concoctions.

Anyone who makes jams, chutneys and preserves will know that the home-made version is so much better than what you can buy. This book will help you get fantastic results.

Every cook should have one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure, 28 Jun 2009
S. Tevendale (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
My son gave me this little book for my birthday and at first I was put off by the seemingly pompous title, but now the book is a staple in my cookery library.

How to make Jams is written well, gives a clear understanding of what's needed to make a successful jam and what can go wrong and it is written concisely but comprehensively. It's easy to find your way around the book, as it is laid out well and though it's not filled with lush illustrations, I wouldn't be without it now I have started using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpfull book at last!, 28 Mar 2010
T. Beasley "Trudie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
i have soooo many jam recipies it is untrue,,so i bought this book just to add to the rest...but i must admit this book was really good,easy to follow,helpful ideas and good easy recipies that even I (yes little old me) could follow! WOW it's gotta be good for that!!
also the pics were good and helpfull too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and some cool recipes., 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
Have not bought any kits to start doing some of the jam making yet but, for a beginner this book is a great starter. Had a look through and I have a friend willing to go through the process so will give it a go soon. Thanks for the great price what a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise little jam book, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
Used some of the recipes and they worked out well
Some of the information could be clearer but this is mainly a words and no picture type of book

5.0 out of 5 stars The right way to make Jams, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
i loved all the recipes in this book, it has many different types and it is good value with many tips and advice on what equipment and ways to change the ingredients.

4.0 out of 5 stars The right way to make jams, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
I bought this on recommendation but found it uninspiring. I shall keep it as a reference book but would not have bought it had I been able to have a pre-buying view

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Guide, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
This is a very good guide to the art of jam making. As other reviewers have said, it contains many tips to help both novice and old hand. I do have a couple of grumbles ... it's a bit small and has a style of language that reminds me of a sermon, but these are personal quibbles.

The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.)
The Right Way to Make Jams (Right Way S.) by Cyril Grange (Paperback - 15 April 1982)
Used & New from: 0.01