5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I ever made
I bought this book many years ago and use it all the time.
The recipes are wonderful and work. Best thing is that unlike many indian cookbooks, Pat Chapmans for example, it doesnt requre you to pre-prepare 6 basic sauces first. Just pick up the book and cook.
Published on 6 Dec 2005 by Ann Bates

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland
I have bought a lot of Indian cookery books over the years as I have always enjoyed eating Indian food, and wanted to learn to cook it. I got married two years ago to an Indian man from Kerala and received a few tips from my mother-in-law and now I have become quite good at making curries, and can cook something without even picking up a book.I bought this book because of...
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Miss Spices

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I ever made, 6 Dec 2005
Ann Bates (Leicester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book (Right Way S.) (Paperback)
I bought this book many years ago and use it all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This is one of the best curry books on the market, no fancy colour pictures just good instructions with accurate timing info etc - and all really tasty-tastic !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Curry Recipe Book, 12 Oct 2010
T. L. Gane - See all my reviews
Probably one of the best Indian recipe books on the market. Priced at only couple of pounds you only need four spices and two masalas to make most of the recipes in this book. All of them are quick and easy to make and I'm sure are as authentic as an Indian Housewife would make. I have bought this book as a present. I have probably bought about six in total to give as gifts along with packets of the spices as so many people have commented on how good the curries taste that I have cooked from this book. If you only buy one curry recipe book make it this one. Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Indian cook book I have, 5 Mar 2003
I have bought and been bought a lot of cookery books over the years - this is by far the best one I have. The recipes are very simple and clear to follow. They produce the best curries I have ever made. The ingredients can all be found easily in any super market.
I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quick recipes, 26 Sep 2011
This book is for the person who does not like to spend too much time cooking but does like tasty food, no basic sources are required and in most cases preparation time is less than an half hour

5.0 out of 5 stars SO THE BRITISH RAJ IN INDIA DID SOME GOOD!, 29 Mar 2011
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Supposedly 'curry' is now regarded by many as the national dish of the British and curry restaurants outnumber any other 'style' of eaterie. And yet few bother to naturally prepare and cook curries in their own homes, preferring instead to eat in a curry restaurant, buy a take-away, or 'contract out' by buying one of those preservative-tasting, ready made sauces that proliferate the shelves of every supermarket, and just bunging in the meat and/or vegetable.

There is obviously a belief that Indian cuisine is beyond the capabilities of most people, which is a misconception blown apart by Laxmi Khurana in her book "An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book". The author is an Indian housewife living in the UK, and her recipes have been handed down to her through the generations and cover all types of dishes, meat, vegetable and dhal, but also an array of starters, raitas, chutneys, pickles, and sweets.

In demolishing the myth that Indian cookery is difficult and long-winded, Laxmi Khurana shows it can be fun and simple. Going against the current obsession of a morass of coloured photography, this book just concentrates on giving over 100 traditional recipes which are easy to assemble ingredients for, and very straightforward and simple to cook. My family has tried many of the recipes, the end results of which are miles better than 'the bottled sauce' option, and much cheaper than the restaurant or take-away route.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expats in France, 1 Jun 2006
Catherine Witt (France) - See all my reviews
Since moving to rural France four years ago, I have started cooking Indien food. This is one of the best books I have in my cookery book collection. Most of the ingredients I can buy here, some I stock up on, on my rare visits to the UK and others I just don't use or change. Easy to follow recepies, you don't have to be a gourmet chef to produce a fantastic dish. My french friends are becoming converts. Need I say more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indian Housewife's Recipe Book, 21 Feb 2009
This recipes in this book produce authentic tasting recipes, however an inexperienced cook might find the lack of pictures of the food a handicap

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Cookbook, 18 July 2004
I must own a dozen Indian cookbooks, but this is the one I reach for time and time again. The flavors are just right, and the recipies are clear and easy to follow. My decade-old Paperfronts edition stands testament with it's broken spine, and dog-eared pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm always cooking from this book!, 22 May 2007
This is a really useful Indian cookery book. Most of the recipes are straightforward and delicious. I've particularly loved the dahl and potato dishes. Most of the ingredients are easy to find in the UK. There are about three recipes which require unusual vegetables, but in a way that's good as it's been fun looking for them and great to try something new - I highly recommend the Tindora Curry.

I'm giving this book 4 stars rather than 5 because the besan barfi wasn't very good, partly something I was doing wrong probably, but also I think something is wrong in the recipe with the proportions as it was barely sweet at all and I've noticed in other cookery books I have that it is made with much more sugar. The other reason is that I found that the recipes weren't quite as varied as they could be. For example, none of the many dahls contained coconut milk which I find makes a delicious addition and although very good they all seemed to have a similar tomatoey base.

I still think this is an excellent cookbook and will be using it to cook a lamb curry right now!

An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book (Right Way S.)
An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book (Right Way S.) by Laxmi Khurana (Paperback - 1 May 2000)
5.24