VINE VOICEon 21 April 2005
I was given this book as a housewarming present when I first moved out of my parents' house about 15 years ago. I think the person that gave it to me thought it was a bit of a joke, due to the title. However, this is a brilliant book for someone that needs to cook simple, tasty meals for one or two. The book is full of useful tips and the recipes are easy to follow. The spaghetti bolognaise is one recipe that I remember with much fondness. It was a firm favourite when friend or family came round.
A few years later I became vegetarian and subsequently purchased "No Meat for Me Please" by the same author, which is just as good for those of us that don't eat meat.
on 29 January 2005
Excellent - the first cookery book i have found that explains how to cook without assuming any prior knowledge or experience. Well written and easy to understand.
It gave me the confidence to try and learn to cook, rather than total reliance on processed and pre-packed foods, and I learned the taste of real food.
on 9 December 2000
I was given this book as a present. It's small size belies it's usefulness. As well as complete meal ideas and recipes its also great when you just need to know how to cook a particular vegetable or make a sauce. Written in a down to earth style with no weird ingredients required - it's better than Delia !!!!
on 18 October 2001
An excellent present for the young person leaving home. Advises on living on a budget, covering shopping tips, the "store cupboard" as well as offering some simple but nutritous recipees
on 1 February 2008
A SAVIOUR, BASIC COOKERY HANDBOOK, 27 Sep 2005
By Colin Neville (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a Type 1 Diabetic since 1963, blood testing, correct Insulin dosage and correct quantities of sensible foods are my first daily basic essentials for continuation of life. When my ex-wife announced an unexpected divorce in 1990, I had to learn very quickly, how to cook; in order to survive. This book was my saviour. It teaches the rudiments for the preparation and cooking of: vegetables, meats, poultry and fish, in an easy to understand no frills, no nonsense manner. It recommends portion sizes/weights, cooking times and temperatures. It also suggests which vegetables to accompany the subject meat, poultry or fish dish. A first class basic cookery book. Fifteen years later, I still find myself referring back to this easy to use superb, basic, cookery handbook. Highly recommended!
on 10 September 2000
This book is fantastic for anybody who's suddenly having to cook for themselves, even if they're quite competent in the basics already. I still refer to this book regularly some 12 years after I first got it - and yes, thank you, I can cook pretty well by now!
As well as how to boil an egg, there are plenty of useful ideas for people on a budget, and some good ideas for spicing up old (and sometimes boring) favourites, like shepherd's pie.
If you're looking for a good first cook book written in a friendly, non-patronising style (it was originally written for the author's son when he went to university) then this book is for you.
on 29 July 2006
This is a fairly simple but extremely useful book and very much a worthwhile addition to your library.

There are lots of quick and easy recipes and they a lot more varied than you might think - because of that, there's pretty much something for just about every taste. It's just a pity there are no pictures, but even so, it is worth buying.

And at the price, it's a bargain - you can't really go wrong with this.
on 1 September 2008
This book is great for first time cooks but also for the more seasoned cook to be reminded of a long-lost cooking method. Now buying this for my sister who had to ringme to find out how to make scrambled egg for her and her baby boy!
on 23 August 2001
Jan Arkless has got down to the basics of cooking. Cheap and easy and very tasty meals - everyday meals and meals that we actually cook! This is the fourth copy of the book that I have bought - the others given to sons as they left home! As an experienced cook I still wanted the book again because the recipes are just so good...and they work! Congratulations Jan, I owe you a lot. My son cooked his favourite pork in cider for me following your recipe and it was delicious! ....a great surprise and relief! ...and he knows how to boil an egg now.
on 10 March 2011
This book was just what was needed for a teenager moving out into her own place for the first time, she had very little cooking skills beyond making porridge and omelettes but this book has all the information she needs to do everything from a Sunday roast right through to making your own pizza. The bits of shopping advice were spot on as well, along with the instructions on cooking vegetables. I must admit that I learnt something from that chapter as kohl rabi and asparagus aren't something I'd even even considered never mind cooked.

Definite recommendation for someone starting out, even if they have some basic cooking skills as this is so much more than just a cook book