on 28 November 2004
I had always wondered how my local Indian takeaway could conjure up such delectable dishes in so short a time. Now I know. This book is a little gem. The recipes are marvellous, the instructions clear and concise and, without doubt, the results are Indian restaurant standard. Absolutely no doubt about that. A brilliant, priceless book at a very reasonable price. I actually find the fact that there are no photographs in the book to be another plus, sometimes such photos can be a hinderance and a distraction to the job at hand and the recipes are much more accessible and easy to follow as a result. Do yourself a 'flavour' and buy this book!
on 4 January 2007
A friend recommended this book and when it arrived I was a bit disappointed. I mean, it looks like it is printed on cheap paper and not the lovely wipe clean pages of most books with those mouth-watering pictures. But forget all this. What the book reveals is how to make fantastic curries which are the SAME as your local curry house. Obviously if you are looking for authenticity, these curries are not how they are made in India but they are the British versions we all know and love. I strongly recommend this book for dinner parties but it may take a lot of persuading friends that it not a takeaway.
on 29 January 2007
I received this book as a gift from my wife, probably in desperation after seeing my hopeless attempts at creating a "restaurant style" curry. The vast majority of reviews posted about this book give glowing praise (well earned too, in my opinion). Can't understand some of the negative viewpoints and I can only assume that they didn't follow the recipes closely enough.

I set about my first attempt at making the curry sauce and was pretty pessimistic halfway through - the onion, garlic and ginger base doesn't look very appetizing and does tend to stink out the kitchen. The 3rd stage of the sauce base, however, is where it all starts to come together and you can tell that you are on your way.........finally. I have made 3 or 4 different curries so far and they have all been very close to the Manchester Indian curry house sauces that I grew up with. The final step of turning your base into a Vindaloo, Madras, Korma etc is open to interpretation and imagination but I know (after 35 years of trying) that I have found the Holy Grail of curry cook books. Forget the Louvre it's right here at Amazon.

Col
on 6 June 2002
This book is not about authentic Indian cuisine it is about recreating the restaurant taste that we all love so much. All of the favourites are here and they are really simple to make if you follow the instructions precisely and most importantly, prepare all of your sauces/marinades etc. as described in the book. Do not try and cut corners by substituting/omitting ingrediants, as don't forget this book is about TASTE.
... this has to be the bargain recipe book of the century for the curryoholic! I bought 5 copies for friends who were that impressed with the outcome. It knocks spots off other books costing 5 times as much!
on 11 April 2007
It's pretty much all been said - smelly sauce and great dishes. It scales up too. Having tried it on the family I took the plunge and cooked for a house party for thirty. Two starters, five mains, four veg and pillau rice - all in industrial quantities. With the sauce prepared and the meat pre-cooked, putting the final dishes together wasn't hard. Results were fantastic, and all done in a small kitchen. I enjoyed the compliments - particularly the two requests for a husband swap!

A definite must-buy if you like restaurant curries.
on 13 December 2000
I have tried, tested, asked Indian people for the recipes that taste truly like the one you buy at your favourite resaurant but alas, could not re-create it. Then, this book came along and my search was over. Time consuming yes, to make the basic sauce, but the results are just heavenly. BUY IT NOW.
on 10 September 2001
I cannot say that I exactly enjoyed the experience of preparing the basic curry sauce, which consisted of slicing through dozens of raw onions and stinking out the kitchen for days. However, the end product was well worth all the effort and eye watering pain! The curries were authentic and delicious, and all my friends have asked for a copy of the book. My one recommendation is that you prepare a titanic amount of the basic curry sauce and then freeze it in individual proportions! My second recommendation, which is totally bonkers but essential, is to make sure you wear some swimming goggles whilst chopping the onions! I'm hoping Kris Dhillon will bring out another book entitled The Chinese Secret!
on 10 June 2003
If you picked the book up in a shop you'd probably put it down again as it is very small & no pictures. But you'd be making a big mistake. This book really does teach you a way of making great curries and by far the best curry book I have purchased todate. All your prep work for the main sauce is done before hand and you can freeze it down for later use. After the sauce is finished, all the curries seem to take about 15-30 mins top to cook and they taste great.
Worth the price ten times over.
Kris Dhillon has written a culinary Indian cookbook masterpiece. The recipes are all very simple and concise, so even a Novice such as myself had no problems following the instructions. When you first start the book and read about what the real secret is you will be amazed at your findings and how it transforms your usual mouth melting "throw as much chilli-in" curry into the perfect Resteraunt style meal. Being a 20-something male and admittedly stereo-typically niave in the Kitchen I found Kris Dhillon's book a god-send for my friends and family, who after years, have now admitted my Super After-burn Curry is not actually 'NICE' but an abomination to their mouths and stomaches. This culinary revalation came about haowever after they tasted my first curry from this book Do-Piaza Chicken, which was not only pleasant on the palette and digestive system but extremely simple to make. In my very modist opinion every 20 something budding Curry Chef should have a copy of this in their Kitchen, at last I will no longer lose friends sampling what I classed as a good curry. Thank you Kris Dhillon for writing this book!
on 15 May 2003
I was sceptical because I've seen so many 'Restaurant-style' curry cookbooks, and none yielded a curry anything like you'd get in a takeaway (though they were nice in their own way).
Well, I made the curry sauce and knocked up a batch of chicken as directed in this book.
I was still doubtful up until 5 minutes before the end of cooking my first curry. That's when the one and only definitely curry-like ingredient goes in. The house even smelled like a takeaway - at long last!
It was EXACTLY like the curries I get from takeaways. All these years I've been mucking about with 50 spices, roasting, grinding... and it all came down to one spice (and the technique, of course).
And the Pilau Rice recipe produced a 100% Restaurant copy, too.
Buy it! And award Mr Dhillon a medal.