on 13 March 2006
I bought The Right Way to Play Bridge because my new partner did and it seemed sensible that we work from the same book. I now own a copy of every book this guy has written.
I had owned Basic Bridge by Ron Klinger for some 12 years (!) already but had never managed to plough far enough into it to gain any real understanding. With The Right Way to Play Bridge I was a reasonable player literally within weeks.
Mendelson's writing is first-class. He builds steadily from the basics, in a logical and clear manner, internally cross-referencing topics so that you soon begin to grasp not just the facts but the whole basis of the Basic Acol system. Over the table this helps enormously because you don't need to recall discrete bits of infomation, you apply your understanding.
This is not a bridge workbook, but a very readable introduction to all aspects of the game. Mendelson gives just enough examples to clarify his points and has an uncanny knack of anticipating all your questions.
The book says it's for improvers, but you actually don't need any prior knowledge so I wouldn't bother with Mendelson's Bridge for Absolute Beginners. My advice, if you're interested in learning the game, is to buy two copies of this book, one for you and one for your partner of course, and to use no other until you know absolutely everything in it. Then buy two copies of the superb Control the Bidding, by the same author, which will take your game firmly into the intermediate level. Mendelson also offers Play Your Cards Right, focusing on card play alone, to bring it all together.
These three books are fully complementary and consistent and at such a low cost are, in my opinion, clearly the best way into the game.
on 8 July 2010
I bought this book after having read the first in the series (Bridge for Complete Beginners). It covers all of the material in that book, albeit at a quicker pace, and then goes on to cover more complicated bidding and some elements of play. I would say that the book roughly covers a complete bidding system - that is not to say it covers every possible hand combination or bid combination, of course, but more that you would always have a bid to make if you read the entire book, and that bid would be understood by other Acol players.

I found both books to be very readable with useful examples. The quick reference pages at the end of (almost) every chapter are useful to check points and test yourself. I would suggest that if you are a complete beginner buy the first book in the series, but if you have a basic knowledge of hcp/bidding or play whist then get this one.
on 14 March 2007
If you want to learn how to play, and already know the very basics (that there is an auction, then you play for tricks etc), then this book is excellent.

Knowledge of the very basics is assumed (and Mendelson has also written a book for those who know absolutely nothing about bridge). If you are anything between somebody who knows these very basics, and a novice club player, then I strongly recommend reading this book.

The bulk of the book discusses ACOL bidding, including how to bid your hand naturally, and some conventions that every bridge player should know.

There is also a bit on the card play, offering a few tips again which every bridge player should know.

If you consider yourself to be an intermediate club player, then read Mendelson's books on "Play your Cards Right" and "Control the Bidding". In any case, I think he's a fantastic author of bridge books on the ACOL bidding system (which is what the one most commonly used in UK), and has written great books for bridge players of all standards.
on 9 June 2010
then choose this one. Mendelson is a superb writer for bridge fans.His beginner's book is excellent for those dipping their toes into this wonderful game.This book is for those who wish their game to progress from the basics. Well structured and not without outbursts of wit this book would be compulsory reading for my students if I taught bridge.
on 5 July 2009
For anyone seriously wanting to improve their bridge strategy and have even more fun at the table, Paul Mendleson is an excellent writer. Easy to understand and put into action, I'd recommend his books to anyone. Read this alongside his other Right Way bridge books and you'll soon be getting more tops than bottoms. You'll be a force to reckon with at the bridge table.
on 8 November 2001
An excellent guide to bidding. Easy to read and simple to understand. Mine is constantly by my side whilst playing bridge online.
Quick at-the-table bidding guides are provided, assisting there and then!
The friend that sent me this book, wrote "Happy Bridging, just to make sure we are singing off the same sheet". I'm still singing....
Another book by the same author is brilliant alongside this one. 100 Tips For Better Bridge by Paul Mendelson - another easy reader with simple explanations.
Maria.
on 31 May 2011
I have been playing bridge now for 3/4 years and have read a number of other books on bridge.
This book is clear, has good examples and I found it ideal in reinforcing what I know and in taking my knowledge a step further.
Very well written , easy to read.
Highly readable and easy to understand. Not only instructs WHAT you should do but WHY you should do it which makes remembering the rules so much easier. Quite the best in its class.
on 30 October 2011
I am a bridge player and I bought this book for my husband in order to help him with his game. It was so good I ended up buying one for myself too.
I enjoy the author's style of writing and the content is thought provoking.
A great wee book.
on 22 November 2012
I have been playing Bridge for 50 years during which time the game has changed a lot, especially in the bidding. I purchased this book to become more familiar with 'modern bridge'. I did so because it looked well written with clear explanations and excellent charts.All this was so but I found a lot of it very confusing, because it was so different to 'old fashioned bridge', and think I might have understood it better if I had studied Mr Mendlesons Beginners book first. For new players it is probably good but both partners need to have read the same book and agreed their bidding. Also a few text errors and inconsistencies have been found and, in spite of trying several possibilities. it has proved impossible to correspond with the author or the publisher. I think this is a good book for the right people but was not really suitable for me.