4.0 out of 5 stars Son's purchase
by this Mother who's a soft touch. D. Says this is a 4. Not a favourite but pretty high in his ratings. Personally I've not been near it but then I'm a mum.
Published 11 months ago by lizt

1.0 out of 5 stars Size, Limited
Published on 23 Feb. 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Size, Limited, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
My first review on Amazon forced out of me by someone who has previously been one of my favourite authors. It's been mentioned that the page count is low, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the physical size of the book. It's small. Like a pocket book, or one of those little books full of quotations that are always at the counter when you're at a proper book shop. The weightiest story is given over to bringing another set of undead creatures into the fray. Admittedly this does sound interesting, but the Z's have no appetite for them and therefore there's no risk to them. The Z's just ignore them while the new undeads are stomping on their heads. It almost feels like bullying.

I agree the last story feels very Brooks-ian and is the highlight of the brochure. It runs for about 15 tiny, tiny pages though.

Very disappointing. All I need now is for the WWZ film to cast someone like Brad Pitt as the lead to really tick me off.

Oh.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing following WWZ, 20 Feb. 2012
P. Potter "ex-mosh monkey" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
First let me say that I am a massive fan of Max Brooks' zombie universe - I re-read WWZ every few months which still manages to keep me reading into the small hours and I have a dog-eared copy of the Zombie Survival Guide that I've read far too many times.

When I found out that a new collection was coming out I was excited but after picking this up in the book shop and realising it was less than half as thick as his last zed-head novel I was a bit put off. Still, Zombie Survival Guide wasn't exactly a heavy weight book and this author can do a lot with a limited number of pages so I handed over my cash readily.

Oh how wrong I was. The introduction gives some insight into how the author came into contact with zombies in the movies which is interesting but no more than a footnote or magazine interview really. All but one of the actual stories aren't anything special compared to the intricate narrative in WWZ, with the first one being a bit out of place compared to the bleakness of the universe's history and spirit of the characters in that novel.

The second story isn't bad and kind of feels in line with the earlier work although it didn't seem to go anywhere. Still a nice twist to it.

Don't get me started on the third one about the other popular undead phenomenon helping humanity fight back. Felt like some terrible random internet fan-fiction rather than from the same author and I did struggle to finish it. I did check the cover after to make sure this wasn't a compliation of fan submitted stories published under Brooks' name on it but alas no.

The fourth (and last) story is pretty good and you can imagine this being in WWZ. Well written and fits in nicely with the theme of the series.

Overall, one good story couldn't rescue this book from feeling like a collection of those that didn't make the grade for the main novel (WWZ). This to me didn't feel like it built on the earlier work and felt like a bit of a let down.

If another collection is released I hope it hangs together better than this and goes back to the quality of the authors earlier work, even if we have to wait a little bit longer for it to appear... not too long though, the undead could be shuffling down my street any day now...

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the punch of World War Z, 9 Jun. 2012
John Milton (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
Closure, Limited and other zombie tales is written by Max Brooks, the man behind World War Z, one of my favourite books EVER.

So, with this much anticipation built up, you can imagine my disappointment when this book arrived and I found it to be very slim indeed. In fact, there's less than 130 pages and only four short stories, of which, Closure, Limited only takes up TWELVE pages.

Trying to set this negative feeling aside, I started reading and easily chewed my way through the contents of this book. As stated, the book is comprised of four stories, those being: Closure, Limited: A Story of World War Z, Steve and Fred, The Extinction Parade and Great Wall: A Story from the Zombie War.

Closure, Limited and Great Wall can be considered together since these effectively read like missing chapters from World War Z, the former brings a business venture to the aftermath of the outbreak and the latter is the tale of a Chinese survivor who fought against the undead hordes. However, where both tales fit easily into the WWZ universe created by Brooks, Closure, Limited is a little more original and focuses on genuine human emotion and the very different ways that survivors deal with their own grief.

Steve and Fred definitely needed some fleshing out but fairly effectively juxtaposed the tale of two survivors: one, a gung-ho Marine, the other, an Average Joe trapped in a small cupboard in a bathroom with the undead beating at the door. In my opinion, this story is definitely the weakest of the bunch and is very generic in nature.

For me, the pick of the bunch was definitely The Extinction Parade. This short story occupies the lion's share of the book and follows a small group of vampires in South East Asia as they observe mankind's reaction to the dead rising; at first apathetically and then with shock as they realise the extent of the zombie menace and the threat it poses to their own food supply.

There is no doubt that Brooks is a skilled writer and his insight into what would occur in a zombie apocalypse is well-documented and noted by those in loftier positions than me, such as Simon Pegg who observed that, "Brooks infuses his writing with such detail and authenticity, one wonders if he knows something we don't". Brooks himself comments in his introduction to Closure, Limited that "Zombies are a global phenomenon, the perfect lens for examining societal collapse. They are SARS, they are AIDS. They are the hurrican that drowned an entire city, or the `master race' that burned an entire continent. They are an existential threat, a slate wiper, and have an ability to expose our suicidal weaknesses; I'll never lose my fear of them."

With Closure, Limited, Brooks again demonstrates his wide knowledge of geography, history and sociological and political matters; and manages to convey strong messages in an incredibly slimline book. Looking at this objectively, Closure, Limited is a welcome addition to the WWZ universe created by Brooks. I think perhaps I had simply built myself up to be settling down for a lengthier period with Brooks' latest work rather than for it all to be over so quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save money - buy something else, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
I bought this on the strength of World War Z and the fact that Amazon normally gets recommendations so well tailored.
I feel really exploited this time around - and my faith in Amazon has suffered as a result. This book is maybe worth £1.99 as a spontaneous purchase by the register. Even at £3.99 it's massively overpriced. It's exploitation of the goodwill generated by the original book, and the buzz surrounding the forthcoming movie. Shame on everyone involved with this project.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a bit of a cash-in, to be honest, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
It was a great disappointment to read this collection of stories. I know that continuity and consistency can be hard to come by and one of the stories at least does fit into the familiar mould that Max Brooks has carved, but the other tales simply don't fit.

If taken in context with his other works - ZSG and WWZ - and their starkly realistic tone, I just don't see where the Vampire story fits or how it can be taken seriously. The obvious rebuttal here is to decry my opinion on Vampires when I am reading a few books on Zombies, and I understand that, but if you're trying to go for out-and-out fantasy, then why start now? Why didn't his other books illustrate the struggle between the Vampire/Zombie threat? I didn't even bother to finish this short story.

I digress, the book seems (per the title of this review) to be purely a cash-in on the hugely popular Vampire obsession right now coupled with the flurry of information on the impending World War Z movie. The timing is perfect for that!

It is a sad point to make though. If you're new to Max Brooks (and I doubt anyone reading this review will be) then please - read ZSG and WWZ. Forget that this book exists.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful........, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
To start with, I want to say how much I truly loved World War Z and the Zombie Survival guide, so when I heard that Max Brooks was to release Closure, Ltd, I was over the moon to say the least. Until I got it. It appears as though he is now trading purely on name, as what I received was around 100 pages containing four short stories, three of which are ridiculously short, and the other I found just plain stupid.

I wouldn't have minded if the stories were decent, but the one about the Great Wall of China aside, they were awful. The one which completely got my goat was the one from the point of view of a vampire during WWZ......

I would not recommend this to anyone

1.0 out of 5 stars I have had it with this cat walking on my keyboard, whatever I'll publish anyway, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Closure, Limited (Kindle Edition)
This book teaches us a good lesson. Better to stop at the point of "I wish there was more" than "they raped Indiana Jones". WWZ was an awesome and wholesome book, and gives you craving for more and more. But Closure ltd is ... lets say... you would rather stare at a fresh pile of predigested and exceptionally unkind to your smell glands ex foodstuff for 90 minutes than reading Closure ltd.

Vampires seriously??? what's next how the loch Ness monster deals with zombies, or the challenges faced by Martians trying to invade a Zombie earth(this is sarcasm not suggestions).

3.0 out of 5 stars Just one more hit, man..., 31 May 2012
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
Let's get a few things straight first: this is not literature. This is not Hemingway. Nor is it Orwell or Chekhov or in any way any other writer who, like Michelangello, "cuts away the unnecessary parts" to leave every word and comma exactly in the right place to make a masterpiece where every word is unforgettable. If that is what you are looking for, perhaps you shouldn't be reading zombie-themed books by relatives of great comedians...

That was mainly in response to some of the reviews above and I'm sorry to have started off so (seemingly) irrelevantly. From now on, I shall get off my high horse and give my personal opinion of the book in question.

This is, indeed, a short work and is a companion to the previous works by the author rather than a stand-alone piece - as someone remarked, this feels like some missing chapters from "World War Z". You can easily finish the book in an evening and, just like the book that made Mr Brooks famous, you will ponder them for a few days (or months, perhaps?) afterwards. There is the trademark mix of Hollywood stereotyping and cliche, mixed in with scenes and themes that provoke thought and haunt the mind.

In short, read this if you're enjoyed "World War Z". If not, read that first. Both make a nice holiday read - you won't mind getting sunscreen all over the pages and you can still lend it to your friends afterwards (I read "World War Z" on a beach in Thailand and then spent a couple of (admittedly fairly stoned) weeks expecting zombies to march out of the azure blue waters in front of me).

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 20 April 2012
A. Howe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
As a massive fan of WWZ I picked this up to read for when I went on holiday. So I while waiting in Gatwick I decide to crack on and get started. An hour later I had finished it. 70% of the book had been about Vampires! The title is very misleading, the story it relates to was about 5 pages long, and felt more like an intro, very disconnected to the rest of the book (sorry pamphlet, I had not noticed the page count in my eagerness to order). Massive let down, even for £3.99, avoid or just read WWZ again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory chapter, 24 Feb. 2012
I. Burke "Ian B" (Sunderland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales (Paperback)
I'm a massive fan of World war z and this was something I'd really looked forward to. So, I sank my teeth into the opening chapter, read a short story and..... it was finished.
What is this supposed to be? It's a tiny book, I knew that, but the text is massive and the margins are huge. I really feel that this is a deliberate rip off. Absolutely pointless, particularly as I also own 'Zombies, the recent dead' which happens to include the only decent story in this pamphlet 'the great wall'.

Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales
Closure, Limited and other Zombie Tales by Max Brooks (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)