5.0 out of 5 stars The first and only place you should look for any source on women in Greece & Rome, 16 July 2008
This review is from: Women's Life in Greece and Rome (Paperback)
This book is fantastic, I have used it in my studies and for my own reading. It covers every aspect of womens' lives in Ancient Greece and Rome. Each section has a great introduction on the particular theme, followed by numerous sources, many of which have a short note about the content or historical context so that the reader can fully understand the text.

Another review of this book has complained that the translation is confused, however these sources are not all translated by the same person, they are taken from various translations that are availible, and so the styles of translation do vary, as does the translators' interpretations of the meanings of the texts.

I found no difficulty in understanding this book, and where punctuation in the sources may appear poor, take note that ancient Greek and Latin had no punctuation of the style that we use today!

This book is a gem, I have enjoyed reading it at my leisure for my own interest and studying some sources critically within it - it provides a fascinating insight into the world of women in ancient society with some fantastic sources, some of which will cause many to laugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Weighty, Scholarly and Fascinating, 13 Oct 2010
Meerkat (Dereham, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Women's Life in Greece and Rome (Paperback)
I bought this book as part of my AS Classical Civilisation Course as I chose the 'Women in Greece and Rome' component to study. I did so because I thought it would be fascinating - what I didn't expect was an ENORMOUS book full of a huge variety of writing about, for and by women in Ancient Greece and Rome. The authors apologetically say that there is very little written evidence about women's lives in Ancient Greece and Rome and then produce this HUGE book stuffed full of snippets and longer sections. It is really quite heavy-going just in its sheer volume, although the glimpses into the individual lives are fascinating. I would have appreciated more detailed notes by the authors and more interpretation, but what notes they do provide are helpful.
The authors are correct in that there is very little written by the women themselves and the majority of the glimpses of women's lives we get are seen through the eyes of men writing about them (either in obituaries, or plays or in law courts), which means that the view of women is likely to be distorted by the personal prejudices of the writer (hands up, Hesiod!).
So, if you want a very hefty, scholarly book that contains ALL the written information available on the position of women in Ancient Greece and Rome then this is the book for you. If you want a lighter read then I would recommend 'Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves; Women in Classical Antiquity' by Sarah Pomeroy - the title of which really sums up the the position of women in Ancient Greece and Rome ...

5.0 out of 5 stars An valuable source book, 16 Feb 2010
Calderoni Raffaella (Milan. Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Women's Life in Greece and Rome (Paperback)
I have just started reading this book, after having skimmed the titles and the contents of every chapter, yet I can say that it is a source book very useful not only for scholars, but also for everyone who wants to know how Greek and Latin women lived, what they thought, how they felt about themselves and about love, what their role in the classical world was, their education, their work, their role in religious festivals. Moreover, there is a study concerning the most important goddesses and every topic has been taken from ancient sources and has been translated.
The approach to the classical sources is worthy and sheds a new light on the life of women, considered as second-class citizens.

4.0 out of 5 stars very reasonably priced, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Women's Life in Greece and Rome (Paperback)
I am very pleased with this book it is in great condition and it was very reasonably priced. Thank you

Women's Life in Greece and Rome
Women's Life in Greece and Rome by Maureen B. Fant (Paperback - 30 Sep 2005)
18.39