Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 September 2010
This is an excellent book on abstract and creative art, but it is the new paperback version of the hardback 'Beyond Realism' Beyond Realism: Art Techniques to Expand Your Creativity published in 2001. Read the reviews on that page, and then buy either the hardback or this paperback, according to your preference, but not both! There is also a DVD Beyond Realism [DVD] that also matches this book. Enjoy!
on 23 September 2011
I totally recommend this book to learners of painting. It is not long but is full of technical information about how to practice painting. the writing is concise and clear, very well illustrated with original examples. The writer is a painter himself with many years of artistic and pedagogical experience. It becomes a very useful tool when you need to consult for specific point of the subject.

I needed it urgently when I ordered it. The book arrived to me in 5 days. Excelent!
on 8 June 2011
Having bought Brian Ryder's DVD Beyond Realism, I purchased this book as a follow-up. I was not dissapointed. The book follows on and illustrates Brian's technique and processes in some detail.
I have enjoyed and learned a lot from this book. It is a good starting point for your own beginings in accessible abstract painting.
on 3 April 2013
I found this book had too many steps. I can imagine that some people might find this a positive point in the books favour, but I had been looking for ideas rather than exact instructions and found it hard going. It really is a personal point of view and perhaps I should have been warned by the sub-title but that's another story.
The paintings utilise a wide range of styles and I am sure thaat most artists starting to paint abstracts could find some help here.
Several of the examples are modernistic paintings rather than abstracts and I found these slightly out of place in this book
on 10 November 2010
This book is excellent, but DON'T buy it if you already have "Beyond Realism" by the same author!! Really naughty of publishers to change a title, just because it is re-issued as a paperback, it is the same book.
NOTE: the original book would get 5 stars, this gets one because of the misleading way it is sold.
on 3 May 2013
This book has inspired me more than any other I bought (and I bought a pile of them!). He takes you through all different types of paintings in different abstract styles and materials and shows you each element that make sup each painting with instructions on how to do each technique. His paintings are beautiful and varied and inspiring.
on 30 June 2013
A very inspiring book; I have read Brian's previous book so had an idea what this one would be like. It is very inspirational and details how to break through the boundaries and experiment in a more abstract way - I did try a couple of the methods demonstrated and achieved quite good pieces of work. I feel that it is for the more experienced and confident artist
on 27 October 2010
Nice book, helpful with some funky ideas.
I would recommend this to someone trying to break away from staid and monotonous work
on 22 January 2011
I also bought this book thinking it was a new one, but discovered on reading it that I already had it with a different title, ie Beyond Realism. I took it back to Waterstones for a refund. I don't know if the author realises the publishers are deceiving people in this way, but he shouldn't have agreed to it. This is in fact a very fine book.
on 29 March 2014
A easy to follow book which gives the newcomer to abstract painting some techniques and approaches to creative work. A good starting point.