4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely box set but not for beginners to sewing
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars The Tilda Characters Collection
Published on 2 Dec 2010 by Melissa

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely box set but not for beginners to sewing, 21 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Tilda Characters Collection: Birds, Bunnies, Angels and Dolls (Hardcover)
At an initial look they do seem suitable for beginners but only to a certain extent. The instructions tend to be split over several pages with a lot of `Read this chapter several pages back to do this'. There weren't any instructions that I could see about actually sewing the doll together and, if I hadn't already made my first doll using a similar technique, I would have been utterly confused by the pattern cutting and sewing explanation. I really wouldn't recommend it for beginners unless you have someone more experienced helping you. However, once you get the hang of it, most of the projects in this set of books and the others (such as Tilda's Summer Ideas) are based around very similar patterns. So get the hang of one doll pattern and you pretty much will be able to do all the others with slight variations in clothing.

The books didn't really have much on how to actually assemble the dolls so I went with what knowledge I had from making my first doll. It's not a complicated design so it was just a matter of stitching the legs and arms to the body with whip stitch. I did use doubled cotton thread as I was a little concerned with whether the limbs were a tad too flimsy but I think that's a personal choice and probably depends on how much you stuff the limbs.

You cannot buy Tilda hair from any shop for love nor money. And when you can find it, it's a very small amount for what they charge. So, I decided to use wool I found in Hobbycraft. You get loads of the stuff and you can use it for future projects/dolls. It's a tad fluffier that the Tilda hair. The instructions to add the hair were very basic and I ended up ignoring them altogether for my own method. I added a lot more pins, styling and stitching the hair as I went. I tried following the book method but kept ending up with a mess which did look kind of cool but not very Tilda-esque.

I think this box set is worth the purchase if you like the Tilda range and can see yourself making lot from it. It covers angels, dolls (which are essentially the same pattern with varied clothing) birds and bunnies. I then bought the Tilda's Summer Ideas book which covers a few types of dolls (garden, kitchen) plus a couple of additional small projects. Tone Finnanger also has books themed around Spring/Christmas and general projects for your home which look interesting but aren't top of my wish list just yet. I also want to point out that the books don't always give specific measurements for the fabric required in a project. There's a fair amount of guesswork involved but again, once you get the hang of one pattern, it's easy enough to apply that to any project. I think if you keep in mind that you should make these dolls in the fabrics you like rather than getting caught up in buying everything in the Tilda range, they are good books to use. If you are looking to get started with the Tilda range, buy Tilda's Summer Ideas first as it's quite cheap and then decide if you want the box set.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Tilda Characters Collection, 2 Dec 2010
If you have the other Tilda books then it's not worth buying this collection as they are just collated from Tone Finnanger's other publications. However, it's a nice collection and good value for money if you haven't got the other books. The only downside is that the templates come as a single sheet and need enlarging by 400% which is a pain. The sheet is also stuck to the outside of the slip case and if you remove it and slot it in with the books, everything is then too tight to get the books out of the slip case!
As I have most of the other Tilda books I will be passing this on as a gift. However, if you don't have the others then it's probably worthwhile ordering. The only negative is the template sheet: the other books come with full size templates as part of the books so you can just trace them rather than messing about with a photocopier.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Tilda Characters Collection, 10 Dec 2011
I am very dissapointed with this collection of books, feel cheated out of patterns that are mensioned in the book to download, only to find out this service does not exist! Read other reviews, someone mentioned patterns enclosed in the box, but no patterns! Or even at the back of each book to enlarge on a photocopier!

Fortunately I am skilled enough to develop patterns and adabt patterns, but the whole purpose for me to purchace this collection, was to save time, also if you buy any product, it should supply exactly whats on the tin! Trade discription would have a field day! I will be contacting them and the publisher to make a complaint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous.., 7 Jan 2011
I received this box set for Christmas..and although I have all the 'Tilda' books..the presentation of this set is just lovely.The design of the box and the colours/patterns make it a delight to look at....I love my Tilda books..although..I tend to drool at the pictures more than actually make anyhting...this box set makes it easier to focus on the actual 'making'!!!...it would make a great gift and is a good price for the quality of the whole package.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tilda Characters Collection., 12 Nov 2011
Great little books for giving you info and help, but the patterns are so small and hard to enlarge of scanner. Not really for first time doll makers.....but nice little set if you are a Tilda fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tone strikes again, 28 April 2011
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am not in the habit of repeating myself, but I have said it before, and I shall say it ad infinitum - Tone Finnanger is the best. If you have only just discovered her work, this is a good way of finding out all about Tone's tremendous collection of beautiful items to give as gifts or keep for yourself. Everything is so adorable, you will want to make it all. My only gripe is about the enlargement of the patterns but that happens in so many books. Brilliant dolls, love the birds, the bunnies look so huggable and those angels are just superb. Excellent design, easy to follow instructions and great little books to keep by the sewing machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book collection, a must have, 8 Nov 2010
Mrs. Pauline Worthington (Croston, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This collection of the authors' most recent books is beautiful. The lovely characters are stunning and the unstructions are so easy to follow. I highly recommend this collection as it will not disappoint you at all. The books are hardbacked and contain a template page that can easily be enlarged. The only trouble is that you won't know were to begin first as you will want to do all of them. Absolutely wonderful, a lovely present for a sewer. This collection is a real must have! Beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tilda characters collection, 24 Oct 2011
Very pretty and attractively presented but... if you have other Tilda books then be careful to check you are not duplicating. Agree with previous comments about the templates...but nevertheless a source of inspiration or alternatively a lovely gift for someone who enjoys sewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars the tilda characters collection, 19 Sep 2011
I was disappointed with these books because although it says in them that you can log onto a website and download the full size patterns (i emailed the company and they said the author didn't like that idea) you cannot!! Its ok if you've got a printer, but i haven't!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tilda Characters Collection., 14 May 2011
Bought this book along with the Martha Stewart complete for my daughter in law, she not only makes the items herself, but now my grand daughter has started to make them as well, and she's only 10 years old.
The Tilda characters are more well known than I realised, and after taking some to her school, many of the children there want some themselves.
Thankyou so much, as always, the price was very right, and delivery was fast and trouble free.

The Tilda Characters Collection: Birds, Bunnies, Angels and Dolls
The Tilda Characters Collection: Birds, Bunnies, Angels and Dolls by Tone Finnanger (Hardcover - 29 Oct 2010)