4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely patterns, errata is available.
I was initially disappointed with this book - in my copy the pattern for the little birds goes from row 1 - 33 on page 12, then on page 15 these rows are repeated but the pattern then stops halfway through the first wing. This was particularly disappointing as it was the first pattern in the book and I had really wanted to knit it.

The first pattern I...
Published on 5 Jan 2011 by Mrs. S. A. Pitt

3.0 out of 5 stars Adorable but error problem with cat
Published on 15 Mar 2011 by C. Fink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely patterns, errata is available., 5 Jan 2011
Mrs. S. A. Pitt "Sarah Pitt" (Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knit & Purl Pets: 20 Patterns for Little Pets with Big Personalities - Knitted animals, dogs, cats, horses, mice, chickens (Paperback)

The first pattern I attempted was the chameleon where I found a few minor typos, but then an error in row 44 gave me 2 more sts than I ought to have then after 2 rows knit plain a further typo in rnd 47 (K10, [M1, k1] 4 times, k19. 27sts) confused me - obviously if you count the sts written in the pattern the k19 at the end of the row ought to have been k9, but I had 11 sts due to the rnd 44 error. To complete the piece I had to fudge this by decreasing 2 sts over the next rnd and to be fair it hasn't spoiled the look of the completed chameleon but it was annoying at the time.

As I really wanted to make the little bird pattern I contacted the publishers, David & Charles via their website and they have sent me a pdf of the missing instructions (apparently this particular error did not occur in the first print run of the book) and they have offered to post or e-mail me a further correction for the greyhound pattern and a chart error.

I have completed the snake and hen patterns and have found no errors there, I'm on my second hen at the moment.

So - 4 stars because I really love the look of the finished toys. The shaping is very clever and the toys whilst being quite small (many small enough to fit in a child's pocket) are full of personality. They use minimal amounts of yarn, mostly 4ply and dk so if you have ball ends to use up they're ideal.

The 1 star I've docked is because there is an amount of slightly fiddly finishing to do on the chameleon and hen - shaping the legs and toes in i-cord on small gauge needles was a bit fineckety - and the hen with it's wattle, comb and tail had a lot of sewing-up and yarn ends to hide.

As I have had such a prompt and courteous reply from the publishers, I have not taken the printing errors into account with my scoring of this book but I would encourage anyone who has come across errors in their copies of the book to follow my lead and let the publishers know. Perhaps their next print runs will be more successful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Adorable but error problem with cat, 15 Mar 2011
C. Fink (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Love the book, love the layout, and love the adorable animals. Bought to make "Biscuit the Cat," but came to some issues after about 10 rows. I am an advanced knitter and have no issues with knitting in the round, went back and rechecked my work, but still encountered the error. I know enough about knitting, think I can work around it, but what good is a pattern that doesn't work? Not very enjoyable!!! With other comments on errors, I am reluctant to try the other animals. Although the format of the book makes it look appealing, I would have rather had better edited patterns and less of a picture book! Am going to try to contact the publisher to see if I can get revised patterns so I can enjoy knitting these adorable pets without getting frustrated!

1.0 out of 5 stars Printing errors galore, 10 May 2011
This book looked so promising. Unfortunately it was so full of printing errors that it was useless. I received two copies, both with the same faults. Amazon refunded my money immediately, but the publisher did not show the same level of concern for customer relations. I contacted them twice by e mail and was ignored both times. I would be happy to own this book if it was re printed correctly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many mistakes, 16 April 2011
T. PLUMLEY "Border Terrier & the Crow" (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
Potentially this could have been a great book but there are several mistakes (and I haven't tried knitting everything yet). Initially I used a library copy, then bought my own from amazon and found more mistakes in this slightly newer edition. Contacted the publisher for the erratum but even that wasn't correct. Ten out ten for amazon shame about the poor editorial work done by the author/publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful toys but I too have found mistakes!, 12 Jan 2011
I bought this book after falling in love with the images and was looking forward to learning some new skills and to create some amazingly intricate animals. I have begun with the ginger cat and found mistakes almost instantly! The first being that the pattern requires you to M1 several times but there is no description in the abbreviations at the back of the book as to which method of making a stitch the writer uses. There does not seem to be any consistency in terminology as you work through the pattern either. I found myself having to read back through the pattern several times to try and understand what I was aiming to achieve in the next few rows and to make sure I had done the right thing and had the correct number of stitches on my needles (there are not enough checks at the end of row instructions). The changes between normal knitting and knitting in the round can also get quite confusing!

But, all that said, my little cat does seem to be taking shape well and I can't wait to see what she looks like when stuffed and finished. I have still given this book a very good rating because the designs are so different from any other toy knitting book and the book itself is extremely beautiful. A bit of description as to how the designer attempts to create such intricate patterns would be very interesting but on the whole I think there is a lot to be learnt from this book and I would recommend it but only to experienced knitters who could decipher the patterns!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated if you are a beginner, 20 Feb 2011
I fell in love with the kitten when I first looked at the book and thought that even as I beginner I should be able to follow the pattern.
I'd say you would need to be a fairly experienced knitter to follow it, there are just too many points at which it could all go wrong, but these are not hightlighted in the pattern or included in a close up picture.
Unfortunately I have now started again for the third time and I'm thinking of giving up. Out of stubborness I'll finish it, even if it looks a bit odd, but I doubt I'll be starting another project from this book soon.

If you are a beginner, I would go for Sandra Polleys knitted toys, lots of achievable projects (I have knitted the little dog and it looks as cute as in the book!).

4.0 out of 5 stars SO UNUSUAL, 28 Nov 2010
I agree with the previous reviewers about the amount of mistakes in some of the patterns but the pets turn out beautifully and I have knitted several for Christmas presents and have adapted the pony to Rudolph Reindeer. I hope to knit all the animals before the summer (if there aren't too many more mistakes to put me off).

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting the Needle(s), 6 Feb 2011
E. Bones (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
I have knitted the first of my planned items (a hen!) as a gift for a friend who breeds fanch hens, and he was really pleased. However, it was the first time I have used double pointed needles, and it was a bit of a shock to the system!

Almost every one of the pattern requires double pointed needles, and while this is a skill which is not too difficult to learn, some people may find it a bit intimidating to start with, and find it a bit annoying to have to delay a start, if they have to buy the needles too!

Nevertheless, if one gets over this initial perception of difficulty, the patterns seem quite clear and, although I have not read them all in detail, clearly set out. The variety of "pets" range from cats and dogs to chameleons and the rarely kept stegosaurus!

If you are unable to find anything that catches your eye in this book, I will be immensely surprised. I bought for the hens, and I am staying for the ponies and rabbits! I may even make a rat or two for my (real) cats to play with!

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Pet!, 7 Jan 2011
I brought this book as I am an avid toy knitter, in fact I knit samples from knitting books for my local yarn store, therefore I would say that from my experience I should have had no problems creating any of the cute creatures from this book. However, I started with the greyhound pattern and although I did manage to complete it, the number of mistakes in the pattern made it frustrating and fiddly! And worse, the finished dog seems to have his head on upside down!
On a plus side, the patterns are adorable and if you are a bit more experienced at knitting any mistakes there are in the book could probably be figured out.

5.0 out of 5 stars fall in love with some new pets, but mind the printing errors, 4 Jan 2011
I absolutely love this book, knitting toys in the round is definetly the way to go - sewing up is always so much of a hassle, but this book minimises this. However, do beware of the printing errors. The copy I have only has the first bit of the bird pattern, and there is no pattern for carrots for the rabbits as detailed in the description. I am hoping that the publishers will put these errors right, and I can't say that there aren't any more?
Fall in love with this book, but perhaps wait until it is reprinted without the errors, or at least give the publishers chance to add an extra page to cover them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›