5.0 out of 5 stars Full Frame by David Noton
Published on 14 Nov. 2010 by Northman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I love how the book is formatted and some of the stories are very interesting. Some of the photographs are very good but I would have expected more consistency and the same can be said for the stories.

Si
Published 21 months ago by Si

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Frame by David Noton, 14 Nov. 2010
Having enjoyed David's first book 'Waiting for the Light', I was looking forward to more of the same from 'Full Frame' and wasn't disappointed. Full Frame is broken down into ten different projects around the world, and each section is divided into smaller sub-sections. David uses one photograph in each sub-section and explains how it was taken, and often includes some additional nuggets of photographic or technical information, all in his friendly very readable style. This means that you can sit down and read through a very enjoyable book, or simply dip in and out by reading one sub-section at a time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn the page, say 'Wow, look at that!'. Repeat until end of book., 1 Dec. 2010
Jaw dropping landscape photography is this guy's bread and butter and in that respect this collection is even better than his first book Photography Essentials Waiting for the Light (Photography Essentials).

If that weren't enough to make budding photographers green with envy, he also turns out a mean portrait, some great wildlife shots plus a few epic infra-reds.

Though technique is covered, this is not just a book for photographers - anyone interested in travel and the spectacular beauty of the great outdoors will find much to enjoy here.

One small niggle which I commented on his last book - I don't like the larger photos being spread across two pages and would happily have paid an extra tenner for a larger format that prevented this.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Noton's 'Full Frame', 29 Jan. 2011
Derek Hickman (winchester) - See all my reviews
I went to one of David's photo presentations in Winchester last year and was absolutely amazed by his superb landscape photographs from all points of the globe(both home and away), and I went straight to Amazon to buy his 'Waiting for the Light' book, which accompanied the presentation. It did not disappoint, it's well presented and is a superb record of the truly wonderful photographs that David had taken. This new book, 'Full Frame' is every bit as good with the photos grouped into specific international visits of David's. Well laid out, it's Highly Recommended if you like travel/landscape photography...and will show places you might already have visited (and photographed) in a whole new light...literally. It's a brilliant collection of photos.....and enough to make you put your camera away, and give up photography....it's that good, and I clearly haven't got David's commitment or patience to get/wait-for the perfect place/light/photo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, motivating and just good entertainment, 14 Jan. 2011
Full Frame is another quality book by David Noton.

For me this is the ideal type of photography book. It is not an A-Z "how to" book which tend to get a bit monotonous after you have read a few, and it is not a coffee table book which for me tend to gather dust on the coffee table and get looked at far too infrequently.

Full frame comprises 10 entertaining travel adventure stories each focussing on a specific aspect of travel/landscape photography in a unique location somewhere in the world. The stories are entertaining reading in their own right and interwoven with valuable technical tips to help you achieve the objective for the chapter. The accompanying photographs illustrate how David accomplished the objective and are inspiring to look at too.

All in all a great book which I see myself re-reading a number of times. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to while away the time waiting for the perfect photographic light!, 25 Jun. 2011
An entertaining and informative book with superb photographs that show what can be achieved with a DSLR and patience/experience. Mr Noton has excelled once again and his easy readable style of imparting advice makes it a thoroughly enjoyable read. Having purchased both his DVDs and his previous book 'Waiting for the light' I wondered if I would be disappointed by this second book, but NO! I throughly recommend this book to anyone interested in travel and landscape photography. Can't wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real photography from a real photographer, 4 Jun. 2014
Chris Whitaker "Chris" (Crawshawbooth,Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography (Paperback)
I love this book, not only for it's deliciously-composed photographs but for David Noton's narrative, he whisks us on ten journeys across the globe and, on each one invites us to stand beside him and watch as he plans, studies and finally executes that perfect shot. I recently went to one of his roadshows in Preston called "chasing the light", David has a refreshing outlook to the making of a photograph and has a way of describing all the ingredients that he expertly mixes together to form the images he produces. One thing of note, and something I have always strived to do, and do properly, is to "get it right in-camera" and to become master of your tools, inside of being a computer-drone of a slave to your camera, Photography is about getting out there, learning all the time, seeing the landscape, breathing the air and... chasing the light, it's not about sitting in front of a PC and spending countless hours on Photoshop because you couldn't be bothered learning the art of photography in the first place and thought you would correct all your mistakes afterwards. In an ever-accessible world of digital imagery, David takes us back to the days when producing stunning images took a hell of a lot of hard work and patience. Buy the book, go on the trip, you'll never come back down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Frame, 26 April 2015
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography (Paperback)
Full Frame is a photography travel book. I was interested in reading it because it covered places that I knew and also those I had not been to. David Norton is an enthusiastic writer and his work is very easy reading. The writing flows through the pages and the enthusiasm he has for his work shines through. The book worked for me because it provided me with interesting technical details that I wanted and also confirmed that I did not want to go to some of the places he visited. That might sound odd but I am very much a cold climate person. His writing and images emphasised why I did not want to go to some places on Earth. Having said that his images of the places I was interested in going to filled me with enthusiasm to either go there, or go there again, such is the impact of his work. I would say that this book will work for photographers of any ability and gives useful insights into trying something different for the first time and an idea as to what works and use of equipment. It is well worth reading and proved to me that you do not have to go to very exotic locations to achieve superb images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & inspiring, 1 Jan. 2011
I had this for Christmas, and it is brilliant and so inspiring. Seeing the lens aperture, speed, & ISO, used to create such a beautiful image, is really helpful. I reccomend this as a good read, and to keep by you for inspiration. I am now tempted to try "Infra Red".

4.0 out of 5 stars A little More Convinced, 25 Mar. 2011
I really want to like this book as I think David Noton is an excellent photographer but I'm still not convinced. One of my biggest gripes is the print quality, none of the pictures really seem to be sharp and certainly very few of the images leap out and grab you. Maybe I'm being too picky but in a book like this I think the quality of the printing is really important. I guess I'm not totally convinced about some of the photos either. I suppose the whole point of the book is about diversifying and photographing new things and not getting stuck in a rut, therefore it's inevitable that the photographs are not of the same quality as Mr. Noton's previous work but even so... For all of that the text is interesting and informative and I think it encapsulates many of the key aspects of being an exceptional photographer which there's no doubt David Noton is. He's also a very entertaining writer so the book is worth a look just don't have too higher expectations.

Having now read the book in entirety I think I was maybe being a little unfair. David Noton is an entertaining writer and there are some really useful tips and comments as he progresses through the book. Very much a book to read and contemplate rather than one to flick through and look at the pictures. I suppose I've generally found this to be a truth, the books that impress at first glance are often the ones that fail to reward when read in detail. The one exception I'd make to that rule is Tom Mackie's `Photos With Impact' which is both visually stunning and incredibly rewarding to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Full Frame Photography, 11 April 2013
M. E. Payne "Martin Payne" (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography (Paperback)
Even if you just liked looking at outstanding pictures you'd buy the book for that. But it is very much more than merely photographs. It is a guide to technique, to what goes in to taking a great photograph and I learned much from it. I human story with the husband and wife team going to some pretty remarkable places to record fantastic images. One of the best photographic books I have ever bought.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography
Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography by David Noton (Paperback - 26 Nov. 2010)