5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilting book for beginners
I am new to quilting so my review focuses on the benefits of the book to a NEWBIE.

This book is essentially a combination of lynne Edwards 1st two books (The Sampler Quilt Book and New Sampler Quilt Book) both with an RRP of about £15 each. This book is a fantastic deal at £9.75, as RRP is £19.99!
The book offers all the basics and is a super reference for...
Published on 10 Jan. 2011 by starshine

Published on 10 July 2010 by quiltfan

3.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Sampler Quilt Book: A Celebration of 40 Traditional Blocks from the Sampler Quilt Expert, 10 July 2010
This review is from: The Essential Sampler Quilt Book: A Celebration of 40 Traditional Blocks from the Sampler Quilt Expert (Paperback)
I was disappointed with this book when I discovered very little new content. It is just a conbination of her first 2 quilt books. So no new blocks. The new photographs of quilts are very interesting as they show how with different colour choices the quilts can look so different, especially the one made in primary colours for a child. But if you already have the first 2 books I wouldn't bother to buy this one. If you don't have the first 2 books then this is a good buy as all the information is under one cover and Lynne's instructions are excellent. I was disappointed as it wasn't clear that this book was rehashed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilting book for beginners, 10 Jan. 2011

The book offers all the basics and is a super reference for beginners like me. There is a 'getting started' section offering information regarding the basic equipment and techniques, with really good picture detail that is easy to follow. The book contains 40 sampler block designs and some templates for the reader to copy, and takes you through every stage of the quilt making process. The author also offers ideas regarding colour choice for each of the blocks, which is very useful when 'the eye' for choosing colour combinations may not come naturally in the beginning! The book also contains a lot of pictures of completed quilts which helps the reader see the stunning effects when using different colour combinations.
I have only made a few of the blocks but have found the step by step guide really helpful.
I have been given a couple quilting books but this one is by far the best and a great companion to have on my quilting course.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if you haven't purchased the other two books!, 12 Oct. 2010
It was difficult to give this book a star rating, if you are new to sample quilting then this book rates 5 stars as does the Stash Buster book, but being the proud owner of the other 2 books and a lovely sample quilt this one rates 1 star for me (so I split the difference). It is mostly a compilation of the other books, with, as another reviewer pointed out, different colour ways. Shame I purchased fabrics for another sample quilt, have to keep looking for new blocks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but inaccurate templates, 8 Jun. 2012
I am new to quilting and was looking forward to making up the blocks for my first quilt. The book is lovely to look at, the instructions very clear (even for a beginner)but the templates I have tried so far have been inaccurate, including the celtic knot and the pineapple. When the author tells you to turn the template round to continue tracing, it doesn't fit. So consequently I have been really frustrated and have lost my enthusiasm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting gold, 18 April 2012
This is a beautiful book, with many techniques well-described and illustrated. Most of our beginners' quilting class now have it and gain a lot from discussing it, as well as using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars quilting, 14 May 2012
Just started using this book. I really like how it explains every step. Would recommend it to anyone who is new to quilting, or who is looking for ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sampler Quilt by Lynne Edwards, 17 Aug. 2010
I have found this book really excellent. Lynne explains her methods of block making in a very easy and expert way. I shall have great fun in choosing my sampler blocks for my next quilt from this book. Well done Lynne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence in every way, 16 Sept. 2011
Excellent service from supplier and delivery of a book that captures all a beginner/improver needs to know to complete satisfying projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love it!, 30 Jun. 2011
I am new to quilting and this book has already taught me so many skills I'm thrilled to pieces! One day I made the log cabin sampler so now I understand log cabin. The next day I thumbed through and made a spider's web so now I have the different skill to do that! Each evening I take this book for bedtime reading to see which my next sampler will be. I have learned so much from Lynne Edwards in such a short space of time and my friends are all quite jealous! The best part of all is the step by step instructions which couldn't be clearer. They are fun to follow, whereas other books I have seen leave me quite dejected not understanding what the writer means.

If you want one book on patchwork and quilting then make it this one! Only read the other reviews so you don't buy a duplicate. I think this book is amazing and would give it 6 stars if I could for what I have learned from it. Truly inspirational and educational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for creating a sampler quilt, 29 Oct. 2012
I had some experience as a quilter when I was given this book, I wanted a make a sampler quilt so that I'd have used a lot of traditional quilting patterns. I used the book every step of the way as I made my 20 block sampler quilt and it really helped me use many different patterns (log cabin, seminole, flying geese, mariners compass etc) as well as techniques, (applique, foundation piecing, celtic applique etc). The instructions were very clear and easy to follow. It gave me confidence to start each new block and border, 'quilt as you go' and finish the quilt. The pictures of other quilts are great. My only minor reservations are that I would have valued more help in selecting the colour palette for my quilt and more inspiration to make it more colourful and that the suggestions for quilting the quilt were limited.