5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilting book for beginners
I am new to quilting so my review focuses on the benefits of the book to a NEWBIE.

This book is essentially a combination of lynne Edwards 1st two books (The Sampler Quilt Book and New Sampler Quilt Book) both with an RRP of about 15 each. This book is a fantastic deal at 9.75, as RRP is 19.99!
The book offers all the basics and is a super reference for...
Published on 10 Jan 2011 by starshine

Published on 10 July 2010 by quiltfan

3.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Sampler Quilt Book: A Celebration of 40 Traditional Blocks from the Sampler Quilt Expert, 10 July 2010
This review is from: The Essential Sampler Quilt Book: A Celebration of 40 Traditional Blocks from the Sampler Quilt Expert (Paperback)
I was disappointed with this book when I discovered very little new content. It is just a conbination of her first 2 quilt books. So no new blocks. The new photographs of quilts are very interesting as they show how with different colour choices the quilts can look so different, especially the one made in primary colours for a child. But if you already have the first 2 books I wouldn't bother to buy this one. If you don't have the first 2 books then this is a good buy as all the information is under one cover and Lynne's instructions are excellent. I was disappointed as it wasn't clear that this book was rehashed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilting book for beginners, 10 Jan 2011

The book offers all the basics and is a super reference for beginners like me. There is a 'getting started' section offering information regarding the basic equipment and techniques, with really good picture detail that is easy to follow. The book contains 40 sampler block designs and some templates for the reader to copy, and takes you through every stage of the quilt making process. The author also offers ideas regarding colour choice for each of the blocks, which is very useful when 'the eye' for choosing colour combinations may not come naturally in the beginning! The book also contains a lot of pictures of completed quilts which helps the reader see the stunning effects when using different colour combinations.
I have only made a few of the blocks but have found the step by step guide really helpful.
I have been given a couple quilting books but this one is by far the best and a great companion to have on my quilting course.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if you haven't purchased the other two books!, 12 Oct 2010
It was difficult to give this book a star rating, if you are new to sample quilting then this book rates 5 stars as does the Stash Buster book, but being the proud owner of the other 2 books and a lovely sample quilt this one rates 1 star for me (so I split the difference). It is mostly a compilation of the other books, with, as another reviewer pointed out, different colour ways. Shame I purchased fabrics for another sample quilt, have to keep looking for new blocks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but inaccurate templates, 8 Jun 2012
I am new to quilting and was looking forward to making up the blocks for my first quilt. The book is lovely to look at, the instructions very clear (even for a beginner)but the templates I have tried so far have been inaccurate, including the celtic knot and the pineapple. When the author tells you to turn the template round to continue tracing, it doesn't fit. So consequently I have been really frustrated and have lost my enthusiasm.

4.0 out of 5 stars quilting, 14 May 2012
Just started using this book. I really like how it explains every step. Would recommend it to anyone who is new to quilting, or who is looking for ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting gold, 18 April 2012
This is a beautiful book, with many techniques well-described and illustrated. Most of our beginners' quilting class now have it and gain a lot from discussing it, as well as using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sampler Quilt by Lynne Edwards, 17 Aug 2010
I have found this book really excellent. Lynne explains her methods of block making in a very easy and expert way. I shall have great fun in choosing my sampler blocks for my next quilt from this book. Well done Lynne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence in every way, 16 Sep 2011
Excellent service from supplier and delivery of a book that captures all a beginner/improver needs to know to complete satisfying projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY!, 18 April 2011
Somervyl (Newcastle UK) - See all my reviews
As an 'almost novice' quilter, aspiring to make a sampler quilt, this book's title caught my eye. I haven't tackled anything in it yet, but have spent time browsing through and am already inspired by several designs. The layout, instructions and graphics seem very clear and helpful. I can't wait to get started! A word of warning, however. Before buying, I looked up various reviews and found that this book is an amalgam of 2 previous books, but this isn't made at all clear - very annoying if you already have the others and purchase this thinking it's brand new.

5.0 out of 5 stars unfair I think, 11 Feb 2012
This book is an excellent book if you dont already have a big stock of books......its easy to understand and follow and gives great results. I borrowed the book from a friend and loves it so much I have bought it myself before my friend got upset with me hogging her copy. Happy quilting guys if you dont have a big stock of books this one is the oe to get you may never need another again