on 16 September 2010
Hi all,

I have titled this review buyer beware not because this is not a good product- this little set of books is as many have said an ideal gift & full of lovely ideas.
My review is to draw your attention to the fact that this set is mde up of at least two other publication available and probably recommnded to you once you have looked at this set.
Fast Fabric Gifts by Sally Southern and Sew Fabulous Fabric by Alice Butcher have each been condensed into this set but nowhere is this fact mentioned.
Fast Fabric Gifts: Scrap Fabric Style, Small Scale Sewing, Thrifty Chic: 30 Irresistible Fabric GiftsSew Fabulous Fabric: 20 Charming Ways to Sew Fabrics into Your Life

I can say this with certainty as I bought this set and the other two books on the same day so I was a bit cheesed off by this!
I notice that all the books are published by David and Charles (D&C) so I will be a bit moe careful in future.

I will definitely wishlist the books I like on Amazon, then go and check them out in a shop first befiore buying so hastily again :0)
on 12 October 2009
Do you need the perfect present for a girl friend, a daughter or niece who wants to start sewing you need not go further than this box of 10 amazing and useful books. The projects are really cool with good photography and, for such a small books, loads of info on how to make them.
on 31 December 2009
Perfect for a complete novice. Includes a little bit of everything from beginners' handsewing to more advanced techniques like applique, embroidery and patchwork to machine sewing. Three or four projects in each book. Each book is hardback and presented in a slipcase. Makes a pretty gift.
on 8 May 2010
I bought this to help my grand daughters to get started with sewing and found it very helpfull
on 5 May 2010
Clear instructions and simple projects. Perfect for an absolute beginner and to have as a little reference manual. The fact that it's divided up into ten books makes it far less intimidating! Lovely gift for anyone who has an interest in taking up sewing.
on 4 July 2010
This boxed set really is a gem. With ten books addressing several different aspects of sewing, it's exactly what I wanted as a beginner. Each book gives the basics on whichever topic is being looked at, followed by a step-by-step project to be followed. The topics range from basic sewing stitches to more intricate work. There is a lot of information in this small pack.
on 5 January 2011
I first saw these little books advertised on the television, they are basic hence the title "How to Sew"
They are ideal for someone new to sewing, lots of easy tips and ideas.

A very colourful set of hard cover books.

A lot cheaper than was advertised on the television.
on 27 January 2016
Brilliant little collection of sewing books. I am a complete novice to sewing and these have really helped with the basics and also has harder types of sewing to progress to. They have projects to do to help with the skills and easy to follow instructions for a novice. I like the way the books come in the box to keep them together and tidy.

The set consists of 10 separate books, each having a different type of sewing, you have How To Sew

The Basics
Hand Sewing
Machine Sewing
Patchwork
Sashiko

The collection covers all types of sewing and has really good descriptions and pictures on what to doand how to make the projects.

it has been really good for me to learn to sew.
on 29 January 2012
I bought this little boxset for my daughter's 10th birthday. She absolutely loves it! Each book has an explanation of the technique and a few projects to try. The 'Basics' book describes how to put a zip in a way that she was able to follow. They are a good set of books for someone starting out and contain a lot of info. The only reason that I've said that they are good for older children is because they are so tiny that I can't read them without hunting down my ever elusive specs... Perhaps I shouldn't judge the books by my old-lady eyesight!
on 27 December 2011
These little books are beautifully presented with good illustrations and easy to follow instructions. A very comprehensive set well worth the money.