on 8 August 2009
I agree with the other reviews that this book is beautiful to look at, and I am sure that I shall spend many hours leafing through the lovely pictures.

The cover and pages have a matt effect unlike all of the preceeding books and this certainly adds to it's visual charm.

I totally agree that the angels have been done to death in Tone's publications.

My gripe is that this feels like a poor sequel to 'Sew Pretty Homestyle' which I feel contains more practical items, which would not cost an arm and a leg to reproduce.

There are instructions for a beach bag and beach blanket which if made from the fabrics shown would be quite expensive. I appreciate that alternative fabrics can be used but the items are so pretty when made with Tilda materials I find it very difficult to match the 'prettiness' without the expense.

I guess that this is all down to personal taste and I am glad to have the book, I simply am not sure how many stuffed seashells, forest animals, angelic cows and angels will fit into my home.
on 10 August 2009
I have other Tone Finnanger publications and find this one a bit on the uninteresting side,maybe because it has things in it which are very similar to Sew Pretty Homestyle which in my opinion is a much better publication and yes I agree with the other comments that the Angels have been done to death now. I do not like the matt pages and prefer the previous slightly glossy finish which looks nicer. To be honest I cannot see me making anything from this book.
on 21 August 2009
This book is lovely to look at and the pictures are very pretty but....if you dont particularly like making things that have no use, i wouldnt recommend this book! It would be great if you had children(which i dont) and wanted to make them cuddly toys and dolls but projects you can actually use in the house are minimal in this book and maybe the title should not include 'homestyle' as this indicated to me more soft furnishings than 'forest animals'! I also found something a bit creepy about the posed photos of several girls, all with blonde hair wearing what look like nighties (maybe thats just me!) A few examples of the pointless projects(in my opinion)are: the angelic cow (????), the dolls, and alot of the seaside themed things (i would rather have real shells then fabric ones!) Just to stress the positives though, this book is VERY pretty and im sure alot of the things would be fun to make, I was just looking for sewing projects that were pretty and useful e.g. the footstool, the fabric boxes and the hanging wall baskets, I will be making these. Considering there are so many sewing books on the market now, there are others i would recommend more.
on 10 August 2009
I have all the other Tone Finnanger books but was very disappointed with this one. I do agree with other reviews about the angels they pop up in every book and in this one most items have wings on them. I would have prefered more practical things for the home than 'stuffed cows' as nice as they are I loved all the other books but this one is a bit of a let down. The matt pages don't look as nice as the previous slightly glossy finish.
on 9 June 2010
One of the projects from this book was featured in a craft magazine I bought and although I didn't want to make that, I thought the book would have lots of nice ideas for things to make for the home. I was wrong.

Most of the projects are purely decorative, rather than useful and there is a limit to how many stuffed angels and birds I need in the house (none). The photographs are lovely and the fabrics are very pretty, but it's all a bit twee for my taste.

If you are like me and want some projects for useful things to make for your home, I would highly recommend "Sewing in no time" (50 step-by-step weekend projects made easy) by Emma Hardy, which is much better, having ideas for every room in the house, several of which I plan to make.
on 8 August 2009
I LOVE IT! One of the best books yet with loads of lovely projects for the home. I will definitely make most of these. The angels are lovely especially the bathing angels. As usual another excellent book. Can't wait to see what comes next!!! I made one of the little birdhouses as soon as I recieved the book and just love it. I know my sisters will want some as soon as they see it. Some brilliant gift ideas. I plan to make the beach houses next , but fill them with lentils to use as a doorstop in the garden room!
on 10 August 2009
The photos are gorgeous however the content was disappointing. This book is mainly full of soft toy patterns which is really not my thing and the few things that are more for the home are covered in Tilda's previous books. I normally love these books but unfortunately have returned this one as not really keen on all the toys. Shame, as was really looking forward to it's arrival.
on 23 August 2009
I was really looking forward to this book arriving and settled down to absorb the prettiness. It was certainly pretty but not very inspiring. I really disliked the matt pages and I really felt that only a few projects had that orginal feel about them. The other thing that struck me is that some of the instructions were a bit too brief for most. I would recommend it as eye-candy but nothing more.
on 6 February 2010
I pre-ordered this book and when it arrived I was not disappointed. I have all the Tone Finnanger books and they are all equally as lovely. I have to admit there are some projects that I would not make from the range of books but its personal choice. I think there is something in each that would inspire a lot of sewers or those wanting to take the hobby up. All of the books are great to look at and the instructions are easy to follow. The projects in this book are different and some unusual but I think that is what makes it so appealing. I have made projects that appear in some of the other books but I have not started on this book yet, but I will be in the very near future. The projects include jewellery mannequins, party bags, dolls, forest animals, beach house, beach bag, espadrilles, cushions among other things. You can, if confident enough, adapt the projects to suit your own taste. Tone Finnanger uses a lot of angels as her theme, which does not necessarily interest me, but you don't have to follow the designs exactly how she has done them. The material to buy, if you use the Tilda material can be quite expensive to purchase but you can use substitute material of your own choice. She has another book coming out this month and I can't wait to see what projects she has put together this time. She has certainly inspired me to setup my sewing machine again and get making. I have made gifts for family/friends and they have all been warmly received and I have been asked to make more.
on 6 July 2010
I read previous reviews on this book saying that it was not as good as Tone's others but I totally disagree. I looked at all of her books in the shops when trying to decide which to buy and I loved this one - it's a great mix of quirky home items, sweet toys and beautiful gifts. I'm itching to make almost everything in this book! As usual, the projects are simple but incredibly effective. The book is modern and instructions are clear. Very happy with it.