5.0 out of 5 stars i can become a cake maker yet...
Published on 24 Nov 2010 by W. Doyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much repetition
The designs in this book are lovely but a large portion of it repeats recipes, tips and instructions already published in her first book Sweet and Simple Party Cakes so I think it was a mistake to buy both. The write-up for this one promised tips on safely transporting cakes (which might have been a useful addition to the first book) but this is not included.
Published 10 months ago by J E

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars i can become a cake maker yet..., 24 Nov 2010
W. Doyle (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
began reading this book today, got it for the neighbour who may be making a wedding cake for me. my god, its written so clearly i think i can do this myself. im totaly into this now, the visuals are great and with clear step by step instruction you just can go wrong, big plus are the quanity measurement tables that make it appear so easy and im going to be looking up cake decorating equipment so i can try my hand at this.

5.0 out of 5 stars it all turned out fine, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
I bought this book as I had offered to make my grandson's christening cake and I had never, ever made a tiered, iced cake before. What attracted me were the excellent tables of quantities for different sizes of cakes and icing. I chose the chocolate fudge cake as so many iced cakes look terrific and taste really dry and boring. This was delicious. I tried it out on cupcakes before I committed myself so I knew it was good. I made a 6" and a 9" cake. I looked on U tube for instructions on how to make paste figures for the top so I did that well in advance and I froze the cakes before icing them as we were going on holiday. I chose the lovely forget-me-not cake for the basic design and bought all the colours via Amazon. Though I did not stick to the design to the letter, (didn't do the leaves), it all came together and looked beautiful with a royal blue ribbon on both tiers. I was a complete novice so followed the basic fondant icing instructions carefully. I spent a lot of money on equipment, but that will all do for another day. It was a lot of work and I now know why these companies charge such a lot for their designs! I would only do it again for love and never for money! However, it was cooed over and much admired at the christening and I was very proud of myself. Great recipe and good instructions. For transporting the cake I kept the tiers separate and assembled them at the venue. They travelled in the boot of the car on non-slip mats, the kind you put under rugs. I am now thinking about making one for my brother's 60th . . . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good source of new ideas, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
As a seasoned cake decorator I like to keep my creations looking up-to-the-minute, and this book is a useful addition to my library. The cake recipes look scrumptious, and are usefully given in scaled amounts so you can make any size cake you need. For this sort of book the 'look inside' feature is extremely useful and is probably what sold it to me. Try for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book with wonderful advice and ideas, 8 Mar 2011
Londoner (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
Absolutely love May Lee-Cladman's cakes and so amazed she is so willing to give away some of her trade secrets, but then again perhaps I am not because none of us could come up to her standard (well not me anyway!) so we would not take any trade away from her for sure.

Wonderful cakes, ideas and advice. Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautful cakes, 29 Jun 2011
C. M. Anderson (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
Fabulous book. Beautiful cakes - each large cake accompanied by matching mini cakes, cupcakes or cookies, with recipes for all. The cake recipes are in chart form so you know the correct quantities for any size cake from 5" to 12" - essential when baking tiered cakes. The step by step instructions are clear and easy to follow so even inexperienced cake makers should be able to reproduce most of the designs. The cakes are so pretty I couldn't wait to get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
This is a very good book. The instructions are clearly outlined and everything is explained very well. I particularly like the recipe for chocolate cake, it turns out more like a chocolate brownie and I have received some very good feedback from everyone that's tried it.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to update or increase their skills base.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Book, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
The deisgns in this book are simple but very elegant, lots of nice pictures and good instructions. Not just for traditional fruit cakes but the book gives you the recipes, quantities and tin sizes to make other cakes such as carrot cake, or lemon cake. I'm very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cakes, 13 April 2011
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
I bought this book as a novice in cake decorating i am attempting my sisters wedding cake. This book has inspired me and given me the courage to attempt such a big task. This book is full of lovely cakes, it's great for anyone looking to use fondant/sugarpaste and royal icing. Also ideal as shows basic cake recipes- and qaintities needed for each size tin which not many cake decorating books show. It gives you detailed step by step instructions for making the cake to the fine art of sugar flowers. Good book for a beginner in cake decorating and experienced- not loads of expensive tools needed. My only small critiscism would be that more could be shown on the actual first icing of the cake. other than that great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
This book is highly recommended It tells you step by step what to do to achieve the finished product. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars inspired, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Cakes for Romantic Occasions (Paperback)
I love this book, best cake book ive bought yet, lots of ideas, hints and tips, cant wait to try some of these things out

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cakes for Romantic Occasions
Cakes for Romantic Occasions by Clee-Cadman May (Paperback - 26 Nov 2010)
11.99