Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 August 2009
A well laid out and informative book. Instructions are clear, with step by step pictures, which make them easy to follow. Ideas and tips with each set of instructions.
I would have liked to have seen the pictures of the other bags to be made on the cover, so when buying on line one had more idea of the content.
However I was not at all disappointed. An excellent book.
on 2 April 2012
This has to be my favourite bag making book! The bag designs are all usable and are given in at least two different fabric colourways. Each chapter gives a bag and a mini project to go with the bag, the laptop case has a gadget bag and the quilters bag has an accessories pouch for example, each given the same attention to detail as the main bag. Some are quite easy and others more complicated, such a the backpack with two zip pockets in the main bag, two on the front and a hidden zip pocket on the back!
The instructions are clear and the step by step photos are well put together.
The bags in the pictures are all very well made and look quite professional, they are really inspiring!
I really do love this book and it's great to be able to sew and quilt something which is practical but also achievable in a weekend!
on 16 July 2009
I've only just had this book and just reading and looking at the illustrations alone was worth every penny. There are plenty of pictures showing how to construct each project and tips to help you as well through the book. I can't wait to try out some of the projects, the first one I will try will be the one illustrated on the front cover.
on 23 August 2012
I really like this book. I have it in paper back and found it very easy to use. You will need acess to a scanner or photocopier to copy and enlarge the pattern pieces. The instructions are easy to follow and the pictures tell you all you need to know if the wording doesn't quite make it clear for you. I've completed the swag bag and love it to pieces. It's so unique because i used fabrics and colours that i liked and so i know that no one else is going to have a bag like this.
on 14 July 2012
I wasn't too sure about this book when I bought it, however now it is here I am so pleased with it. Great ideas for different bags, clear instructions and excellent pictures. I will be making most of the bags and little extra purses etc. Lovely colourways plus suggestions for other colours. It arrived quickly and well packed. I sat and started to read it as soon as it arrived. I think I have enough fat quarters in my stash to get started on one of the designs next weekend. If you are looking for something a bit different in quilting then this is the perfect answer.
on 14 July 2012
I also purchased "traditional patchwork quilt patterns" from Amazon at same time and it was more expensive and in my opinion worth alot less than this one.
This book is beautifully illustrated and the instructions are clear. I think it would have been better to have had some of the other pictures on the cover as well, not just the one bag, to give an indication of the variety of projects. Along with another reviewer I am unlikely ever to make the backpack but that may be just the sort of challenge an experienced quilter would like to take on. This book is well worth the money (around £7). Another reviewer mentioned that you have to increase the patterns by 125% or more but this is easy to do on a photocopier at a library, the assistant will help you.
on 27 July 2013
Like many I have often been seduced by fat quarter bundles then struggle to incorporate them into my sewing projects as I haven't done much patchwork/quilting. I really like making bags so this book seemed an ideal solution and I am so delighted I can't praise it enough.
I'm an experienced sewer but the instructions are so thorough and logical that I am sure an inexperienced person could follow them easily and get a great sense of achievement by working through the projects as they increase in difficulty. The first section looking at equipment/materials/techniques is logical and concise and gives all the information you need to get started. Each project is introduced, the first requirement is the number of fat quarters used and there are plenty of tips and hints or more precise advice about how to achieve best results. Each project includes a small purse/book bag/pochette either to use up materials or practise the pattern which is such a good idea.
Susan has also included advice about alternative fabric choices and selecting the appropriate fabric from the bundle for use in the main bag or for the binding. There are plenty of illustrations, the ones illustrating working stages are very clear and those with the fabric ideas are colourful and fun but not intrusive, everything is very well laid out.
There is nothing in this book that I would not make and only one project that I would adapt slightly before making to fit my personal preference so a very useful addition to my bookshelf.
on 26 September 2013
I fell in love with the bag on the front cover. Sorry but all down hill after that. I found the instructions lacking. I would have liked more pictures to make sense of the instructions. Insteat of pictures of the obvious, some of the more technical bits would have been nice. Unfortunately decided to send it back, other bags a bit on the frumpy side.
on 26 June 2012
yes this is a nice not great book i didnt need the suit case or back pack patterns but the rest was ok another anoying thing a template says enlarge 125 times how i would like to know other than that a pleasent book
on 12 August 2012
Found this book very inspiring with loads of ideas which I hope to achieve. Very easy instructions to follow. I needed to know how to make bags from fat quarters and this book fills my needs