4.0 out of 5 stars An informative and helpful directory...
Published on 25 Aug 2008 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell apart first time I used it!
Published on 26 Nov 2008 by Lucy

4.0 out of 5 stars An informative and helpful directory..., 25 Aug 2008
Amazon Customer (Epsom, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
Writer's Market UK is an informative and helpful read. The majority of this book is made up of a directory of magazines, publishers, theatres, agencies, resources and competitions. The layout is attractive and the information exhaustive, but there are other more established handbooks offering similar information. Where Writer's Market UK scores is in the hundred plus pages of articles.

Sadly I found the tone of some of these articles rather depressing. Yes, I know the odds are stacked against me making a living from writing - but the purpose of buying a book like this is to learn how to success in this goal. I've not felt this negative tone in similar directories I've read.

There are positive and inspiring articles. The first is by Joanne Harris, in which we learn she doesn't plan her books. There seems to be a continuum of writers, from those that start at page one and go - and those who plan everything in detail. I'm still working out where I am on that line, so it was interesting to get the point of view of an author I admire.

Elizabeth Kay's article about writing for children was my favourite. Gallons Of Lemonade, And Steak And Kidney Pud was refreshingly written and contained many gems. She also shows she knows her market when she talks about children not being idiots, merely having smaller vocabularies and less experience.

Inevitably information in a directory like this goes out of date, but it is a useful first point for further research. Writer's Market UK is a helpful tool if you want to sell what you write.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell apart first time I used it!, 26 Nov 2008
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
Having usually bought either W & A or The Writers' Yeabook, I decided to give this a go. The first time I read it a chunk of pages came loose, others followed so I have now had to separate the sections and hole punch and fasten them together. Not a bad idea really, as the book itself is too large to carry around so this way I can just take out the relevant sections. As for the information in the book, I think there is a lot of useful stuff but a lot of other that is irrelevant. The advice is no different than can be obtained from writing magazines or websites. There are a lot of different markets listed that are not in the other references, but there are also some of the better known publications that are not even listed. Think I will stick to my usual ref books in future and give this a miss next time I need to update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource for writers, 16 Nov 2008
Sarah (NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
In previous years I have purchased both the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook and the Writer's Handbook, but last year decided to give Writer's Market UK a try.

I was so impressed, I bought the 2009 version, rather than going back to either of the other two. I feel there is more inforamation and the accompanying website (which is free to use) is invaluable.

Clearly, directories of this sort have to be compiled many months in advance of the year stated on the front, and so some information will be outdated by the time many people purchase the book. There will always be changes to the staff of magazines and publishing houses, and this will be an issue that affects all three of the main writers' directories, not just Writer's Market UK. Writers should ALWAYS verify contact details themselves, by checking a current issue of a magazine, contacting the publishing house directly, etc. This is also where the Writer's Market website comes in handy, as this is a resource that can be kept up to date on an ongoing basis.

It is a very chunky book - much larger than the other directories, which means it isn't the most portable. It is easy to find your way around the various sections, and it is very well laid out.

This is definitely my directory of choice and I will continue to be a loyal customer in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Books On The Market..., 2 July 2008
Lutz Svensson (Deptford, London, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
Not a terrible book by any means, but sadly riddled with inaccuracies. You get the impression that whoever compiled it did so with a dozen Office Angels temps and Google... not, say, by contacting each of the organisations listed and confirming details with them. If you're looking for an agent, for instance, it's a pain when websites aren't listed correctly, when the book tells you agents are accepting submissions (when they're not), etc., etc... and spelling/grammatical errors don't inspire confidence, either. There are better books on the market - and it's irking that I now have to go and buy one of them... Hey-ho.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just that bit clearer, 11 April 2009
Mr. Peter Harding (Leeds, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
I made the switch from the A&W Yearbook to the Writer's Market UK last year after sitting down in a bookshop coffee shop with all the guides and yearbooks I could find and going through them all to compare the format that I found most useful.

Perhaps unsurprisingly there wasn't a huge amount of difference between them all, they all had a load of informative articles, good quality listings and free website that i'd probably only get around to using once or twice out of curiosity.

However, for me it's the tiniest of details that makes this writers guide that little bit more convenient to use, namely a little bit of extra separation in the listings. Having finished writing my first novel and researched how to try and sell it, I decided to try and find an agent. Now i know it's a trivial point, but i've written fiction and therefore I want an agent interested in fiction, and what i've found in the A&W and a couple of other guides is that the agent listings can be a little bit confusing and long winded. I am after all not interested in what non-fiction sub genre's a particular agent will consider, especially when i'm wading through 200 listings to try and figure out who to approach first.

So for me the single fact that the Writer's Market UK separates out the fiction and non fiction, makes this writer's guide that tiny bit better and more useable, and why i'll be buying the 2010 edition next instead of any of the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Kid on the Block, 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
I've used the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook for years but thought that I would try the Writer's Market this year and I have to say that I am a complete convert now. This is an incredible resource of information and I really enjoyed the articles, not only from well-known writers such as Simon Brett and Joanne Harris, but also from publishing insiders - the editor, publicist and sales director, for example. I also had the good fortune to hear the book's editor, Caroline Taggart, speak on this subject and found her insightful and helpful. This book is much more than a directory and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the bunch, 1 Aug 2008
Crafty Girl, (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
In my line of work I have, for many years, had need to use both the Writer's and Artist's Yearbook and the Writer's Handbook. However, I am now a convert to the Writer's Market which is better than the other two put together. Not only is it much easier to use but also the articles are interesting, informative and very well written, I particularly like the article on Crime Fiction by Simon Brett, very useful and very funny. If you want more than just a thorough and useful directory and want to learn about publishing and the world that surrounds it then you this is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Credit Crunch Spectacular!, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
The new fully updated Writer's Market 2010 UK & Ireland is a handbook that says, `Yes you can!' and shows you how, at a credit crunch beating 2 cheaper than the cover price of the 2009 edition!

It's rare indeed that a product can be offered which maintains outstanding quality and also manages to reduce the price, congratulations to publishers David and Charles for that achievement during these hard times.

Opening with a foreword by Katie Fforde who begins with a brilliant analogy - I'll leave you to read it for yourself - followed by fantastic advice from this successful author at the top of her game. Caroline Taggart's introduction is helpful too, guaranteed to ensure that you avoid common pitfalls of the fledgling writer.

The trademark first-rate articles are as inspirational as ever, varied and absorbing, they include; `The Other Side of the Bedroom Door' by Lyn Wood, which features great advice on how to write sex scenes.

`Have Camera Will Travel' by Heather Angel, provides expert tips, sharing her own extraordinary skills, experiences and expertise.

Writer's Market 2010 is packed with information, easy to use and knowledgeable. The book also has a fairly extensive glossary and includes free unlimited access to their website; join today - you'll wonder how you managed without it.

There's something for everyone in this handbook. An absolute must if you want to take your writing seriously, and have others do so too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for budding writers, 13 Aug 2008
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
Contains a lot of useful information that is not in the Writers and Artists Yearbook, such as 'tips' on agents and publishers, and entries for individual imprints within the larger publishers, which makes it easier to navigate in many ways for first-time authors. Buy both!

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit different, 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: Writer's Market UK 2009 (Paperback)
There's an awful lot of information in this book. What I liked best were the articles about different aspects of writing, such as The Publishing House - who does what. I thought the layout was particularly useful - it's so nice to be able to thumb through the pages and see from the coloured edges where you are, a bit like a fieldguide for flowers!

Writer's Market UK 2009
Writer's Market UK 2009 by Joanne Harris (Paperback - 25 April 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01