5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy
Tone says "I hope you'll enjoy the company of the book in your armchair on rainy days". Forget rainy days, this book is a delight on any day.
Every page is pretty, pastels are the order of the day, comfortable cottons and felts along with simple embroidery adorn most of the delightful items inside this beautiful book.
There's a striped hot water botter cover -...
Published on 12 Mar 2008 by Elaine B Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous projects for the more experienced sewer
I bought this along with Lotta Jansdotter's "Simple Sewing" with the intention that once I had gained more confidence in my sewing abilities, I could tackle some of the projects in here.

I have to say the projects in the book are absolutely gorgeous and beautifully photographed, it makes you want to redecorate your entire house with them!

However, as...
Published on 11 Sep 2009 by Ms. K. Kane

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous projects for the more experienced sewer, 11 Sep 2009
Ms. K. Kane (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sew Pretty Homestyle: Over 35 Irresistible Projects to Fall in Love with (Paperback)

However, as a beginner myself I have to warn other beginners that this is certainly not a book with step-by-step instructions. The projects do include some diagrams but it is not always clear exactly what you are supposed to do and having tried to make a scented strawberry I was disappointed with the result, it looked nothing like the one in the book!

I also found it a bit annoying as each project has a "You will need" section, but they very rarely state how much fabric you will need, you will find yourself either reading through the whole project or having to measure up the pattern to gauge how much you require (I personally prefer a list so that I know exactly what I need before starting the project).

Admittedly I have only tried the strawberry and a fabric rose (which turned out slightly better!) so far, but am hoping to give the slippers a go next!

Aside from that, if you have a bit more experience and can easily follow textual instructions, I think you will enjoy this book. It certainly gives you lots of inspiration and is pretty to look at if nothing else!

The projects are divided into "rooms" (hallway, kitchen, dining room, living room, conservatory, hobby room, bathroom, bedroom, kids room) and include: slippers, bags, table mats, chair cushions, tapestry (gorgeous!), needle case, make up bag, hot water bottle cover, various stuffed animals, "angels" and fruit, and more.

Patterns are included in the back pages of the book. They are 100% but you will need to trace them onto paper to use them and some have been split to fit on the page so will you need to trace two parts and fit them together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy, 12 Mar 2008
Elaine B Reader (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There's a striped hot water botter cover - (the words "warm and cosy" are embroidered on it alongside a simple flower), pretty bags and wall pouches which are beautifully lined and have decorated edges, unusual decorations such as stuffed pears (think lime fabric with gingham leaves and "une poire" embroidered on it, or one with a pretty patch), and strawberries.
Slippers are included - made with felt linings and gingham or striped cotton outers, all with small amounts of embroidery on, one of my favourites are the stuffed figures, be they cats, dogs, or people -one with a soft pink dressing gown with tie belt, towel over arm, deeper pink pyjama bottoms with simple flowers on edges of legs, embroidered slippers and hair with rollers in - plus a pair of wings at the back - not called dressing gown angels for nothing!
There are loads of things in here suitable for anyone with very little or lots of experience, all the patterns are printed in the back, and although instructions are not comprehensive it's easy enough to work out what's required. A beautiful book, very enjoyable - definitely one to sit in an armchair with on any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total inspiration!!!, 17 Oct 2007
Silvia Bettin (UK) - See all my reviews
What a great buy! When I ordered this book I wasnt sure what to expect, but when I received it I was so happy! There are beautiful pictures, great projects. I have not done anything yet but got lots of ideas and inspiration from it. Love the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming book, 10 Oct 2007
There will be something for every level of stitcher in this book.
Beautifully illustrated, lovely designs in fabrics that are very trendy at the moment. I love just looking through it & have planned loads of projects. I am sure this will be a treasured addition to any stitcher's book collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 9 Jan 2008
Margarida Vargues (Faro, Algarve-Portugal) - See all my reviews
When I ordered this book I wasn't sure about what I was ordering. "Tilda" crafts style were just new for me. Well, it was a very good surprise!
The book is wonderful: the pictures, the way that the crafts are shown... You feel like you want to make everything!
The patterns and all the explanations are very easy to follow. My first Tilda bears and cats are coming out from the sweing machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational delight, 31 Aug 2008
J Parfitt (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I was fortunate to be able to flick through this book before I ordered it from Amazon. This book is the favourite of both my son (12!) and my daughter, for it's dreamy, shabby-chic inspired theme. It is an ode to the home, and the room-by-room treatment of offerings is a perfect way to inspire the crafter to visualise a complete makeover! I love this book so much, that I ordered the Christmas version, which is just as lovely. However, since I can't see us adding the flying pigs to our Yule-time trimmings, this book remains our favourite to curl up to, with a cup of tea. I made the fabulous living room quilt as my first ever quilting project, and am delighted with the result, even if it is deliberately different to the original. There is not a single project in this book that I don't adore, including the daft little strawberry pin-cushion things. Even projects that I will never make, delight me at every turn of the page.
This book is a must for the armchair decorator, stitcher and crafter. Directions are better suited to those with some experience of following shop-bought, sewing pattern directions, or those who can grasp how to create three-dimentional items from two-dimentional fabric, but there are enough projects to suit complete beginners, too.
Everyone should own this book for the warm-fuzzy-feeling it imparts!

2.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, 29 Oct 2009
this book had such pretty projects & so many fabulous reviews, that i was really looking forward to its arrival. I am a beginner though, i have only made 4 little projects before & really needed something with clear guidance on how to do each new piece step by step. sadly it's far too difficult for a beginner such as myself, many of the projects assume you already have a fair amount of experience & understand certain terminology in this area, i was terribly lost here. I did try my absolute best though & attempted first off the needlecase as i thought it the easiest of them all to achieve, but i was most disappointed with the results, i shalln't be using it but have instead recreated a needlecase with matching pin cushion by following the fabulous easy to understand instructions in the Cath Kidston new book called Sew. I would recommend cath kidstons 'Make' & "Sew' to those that are absolute beginners like me, my two pieces have impressed my friends so much i've even had requests to make one for them! Today i also made 2 lavender heart bags & yesterday a pretty fabric bird, i love them all, thank you cath kidston! But with my attempts from this book, no one was impressed with my efforts & i threw my project in the bin as i was so fed up with it every time i looked at it. Very pretty book, lovely little creations, but absolutely stay away if you are a beginner, it nearly put me off for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real feast...but beware beginners!, 17 Oct 2008
Definitively a truly inspiring book, I have had the book for 3 weeks already made 2 projects out of it...but not quite for beginners as there are not many details provided for each project. Also, for the second project I had to make adjustments as the pattern provided (jumper for the teddy was just never going to fit!)was just not quite right.
Nevetheless, it made me sew again after a 5 year gap...

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration, 27 Jun 2008
Mme Dixon Catherine (St Etienne de Crossey , France) - See all my reviews
This book is an absolute delight. Perfect if you like vintage or shabby chic style, even if you only want to just look at the pictures ! I couldn't believe how many craft ideas there were. They are all accompanied by easily understood instructions and drawings as well beautiful photographs.

The book is split into sections giving you ideas for each room in the house. Amongst the many projects are floor mats, slippers, bags, dogs, cats, hearts, cushions,roases, horses, fabrc boxes, needle cases, strawberries, makeup bags. The best thing of all for me were the Angels - beautiful stuffed dolls with long legs and arms - can't wait to get sewing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Erm, yes, well...., 10 Mar 2009
I bought this book, and the Christmas one, with the intention of just putting some fabric through my machine, (itchy fingers!), and probably putting the things toward the village Summer Fête or Christmas Fayre. There are some lovely ideas, quick makes and the themes are good, should use up the odd bits in my stash nicely!!

HOWEVER... why does this author think she can get away with making cutsie things that any child is bound to pick up and play with and use wire in the hair, for whiskers and wooden skewer ends for noses!!! I was horrified to say the least! Maybe alternatives can be found by us mere mortals but be warned, A LOT OF THESE ARE NOT CHILD FRIENDLY PROJECTS!

Sew Pretty Homestyle: Over 35 Irresistible Projects to Fall in Love with