5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for all skill levels.
Published on 4 Jan 2008 by Mrs. K. Mcbirnie

3.0 out of 5 stars A little old fashioned - but good tips and instructions.
I was really excited when I ordered this book, but was quite disappointed after looking through it. Although the instructions included are simple and the projects are easy to get started on [i.e. no patterns required, only body measurements] the styles of skirts are quite old fashioned and unless you are adept at customising and adjusting clothing, I wouldn't recommend...
Published on 30 July 2008 by Claire

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for all skill levels., 4 Jan 2008
Mrs. K. Mcbirnie "stuntmoose" (East Riding, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
I've been sewing for a short while now, have just bought myself a new machine, and I'd say my skill level is pretty basic. This book is everything I wanted, clear and simple instructions, timeless and inspirational designs, all in all very exciting. I love the shape of Monsoon skirts and I can recognise many of their basic styles in here, now I'm looking forward to having a go myself. Unlike one of the other reviewers, my book is also spiral bound but I find this quite useful, you can open the pages up fully while you are working without having to break the spine. Although the fabric sellers listed in the back are based in the US, I have actually ordered fabric online from a couple of them in the past, and found them to be very reasonably priced compared to here in the UK, with an excellent selection and really fast delivery. All in all, this book is amazing! Do the writers have an online blog, I wonder?!

4.0 out of 5 stars No patterns included - none needed, 25 May 2007
Ponytail (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
Lovely ! This book shows you how to make a variety of skirts, with appropriate changes of tone. Therefore, when you want to be inspired, it's quite light-hearted about choosing styles and fabric, but when you need it to be authoritative - such as shaping your skirt using darts - it tells you what you need to know.

The reason for four stars is because the construction of the book was pretty poor - the pages were stuck together at the spiral spine, so to read it I had to tear the pages slightly. Disappointing, but if there's a new edition coming out that doesn't have this (or if I was just unlucky with my copy) then it should get five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book for those wanting to sew a skirt without buying a pattern, 12 May 2007
Lova - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
A great book about sewing your own skirts. The styles shown in the book are all easy to sew and most importantly flattering for all shapes. The instructions are very clear and cover some basic information about sewing so even beginners can feel confident they will be able to sew one if not all of the skirts. The easiest one is the wrap skirt where you only need fabric and thread. The author advises you to either draw directly on the fabric or if you prefer you can use a large sheet of paper to easily make a pattern. The advantage of using this book instead of shop bought patterns is that you will sew a skirt with a perfect fit, shop bought patterns usually require you to make amendements to them in order to give you a good fit. And, even with designer fabrics such as Amy Butler fabrics, it is quite affordable to sew your own skirts and certainly cheaper than buying a ready to wear one from the shops, plus you will have the pleasure of wearing a unique or personalised design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic book, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
I am a self taught sewer and fancied turning my hand to dress making, this book is perfect as I hate patterns and always get lost in instructions. The skirts cover all the basic shapes you need and are not dated at all infact I found them up to date. I have already started my first skirt, I found the self measuring is very clever and simple. Highly recommended to anyone who has basic sewing skills and a little creative flare.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
I love this book, I have done a little bit of craft type sewing before but wanted to have a go at making a skirt, well this book does what it promises. I made my first ever skirt on the day the book arrived and have made a new different style of skirt each week (have had the book for three weeks now!)there are no patterns, instead you use the simple measurement formulas to mark out and cut the fabric to your size. the results so far for me are three unique and lovely skirts that fit perfectly and were very cheap to make. I will now move on to making skirts for my daughters and would like to have a go at making a dress so will have to find a book to help me!
I like me you want to give it a go then I don't think you can go wrong with this book the instructions are clear and easy to understand, you can either make one of the basic styles or if you are feeling more adventurous then you can follow the ideas to make something a little more individual.
I honestly can't see why I would ever want to buy a skirt when I can make my own just how I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most used sewing book on my craft room shelf., 8 April 2010
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
I've been a home-sewer for 28 years now (I'm not yet 40). This book is just fabulous. Another review mentioned that the skirts seemed old-fashioned. Well, I think this book gives you all the know-how to be able to jazz things up, and design your own. I've made skirts for myself, my daughter, and several friends. They've all turned out perfectly. I will never buy another commercial skirt pattern - I only wish the author would create a similar book for shirts and trousers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics (Paperback)
I ordered this book after reading the goood reviews it had already received. I have not been disappointed. I have already made one skirt and it has helped me alter another quite dramatically. I am on the look out for new fabric to make the next masterpiece. There is step by step instructions on almost everything you need to know from making a pattern (or not) to completing the finishing touches. I am a novice and think its an ideal book to help those who want to be a bit different or to make a more unique item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 31 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
Fabulous book, great for the novice and probabaly for the more expert sewer also.
Suggests how to finish garments for those who cant fit a zip.
Designs were great too - not old fashioned.
Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sew what Skirts, fantastic for newbies, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Sew What! Skirts (Spiral-bound)
This book is fantastic. I am a straight out the box newbie to sewing, and dressmaking patterns are far too confusing for me to follow. With Sew What Skirts, you choose your style from a range of basic skirts and what kind of waist fitting you want use, no zip if you don't want to!

If you like classic, elegant and personalised style, without stress and trauma, get this book. Suitable for complete beginners new to sewing. If you can thread your machine and find the straight stitch on it, you can make the skirts in this book!

I hate shopping for skirts as I like a style but not the fabric used, or like the fabric but not the style. This book makes you the designer, you create items you want in the fabrics you choose. This Sew What book series is especially good as you learn the skills on basic designs then when you get more confident, you can embellish and alter them to you hearts content.

Another great point is that you are making your own patterns. Its not as scary as it sounds and means you can alter your design any time, changing length/flare etc as you wish. You can make ANY size, in any length, giving you plenty of scope for your unique style. The book costs less than one dressmaking pattern and gives you so many options you will be delighted.

A great place to start for anyone wanting to make their own clothes, without lots of jargon. All techniques are clearly explained and no prior knowledge is assumed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Dec 2010
This book has finally helped me take the plunge and make my own skirts. It takes you through step by step and if you want to start off with the more simple ones you can, and then move on to (gulp) putting in a zip ... Trust me, it's not as tricky as you think, I don't know why I've left it so long. It's a great book for the beginner, written in plain English and with a sense of humour. The only downside is that I am going to need a bigger wardrobe!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
12.25
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available