4.0 out of 5 stars simple but effective
Published on 15 Aug 2009 by Cake Lady

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
i guess i under estimated just how simple these cakes would be. to be honest, theres nothing ugly in the book, but also nothing that stands out as brilliant or beautiful either. if youve ever taken lessons in cake decorating, sugar flowers or attended a BSG demo, then dont waste your money- the cakes are so straight forward you can figure the vast majority of it out from...
Published on 7 Feb 2009 by E. Fernando

4.0 out of 5 stars simple but effective, 15 Aug 2009
Cake Lady (Rochford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet and Simple Party Cakes: Over 40 Pretty Cakes for Perfect Celebrations (Paperback)
Firstly, let me say I am a cake dec tutor of over 15 years, and very experienced in the subject. I have read all the previous reviews, especially the negative ones and felt some were unfair. Firstly this book is american where food hygiene laws are different. They happily push wires and all sorts into cakes, so in this country simply add a posy pick or use food safe alternatives. However, the ideas are universal. The cakes are simple, and often easy to interpret, but a beginner or someone less experienced would find this a help and improve their confidence. I thought the use of colours in the book was wonderful. It gave alternatives for each cake and also ideas for matching cupcakes, always useful with modern design ideas.

To be honest, I ordered this from the Library first, and was quite impressed with it. It had ideas I would consider in my own work and to show students for quick and easy ideas. I also noted the author has other books due out this year that I will be very interested in after reading this.

if you want a book with step by step instructions look to Nicholas Lodge, but if you want ideas that are easy to follow for beginners and easy to copy quickly for the more advanced, then go for this, I dont think you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect!, 9 July 2008
I've just received my copy of this book today and I am really pleased to say that it is exactly what I was hoping for, and more! It is not only beautifully presented, but the designs are just stunning as well as the steps being really easy to follow. I can't wait to get baking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Simply Moreish, 23 July 2008
In helping to plan my best friend's wedding, I was only to glad to accompany her on cake-tasting missions. After much sampling and mirth, we found the perfect cake at Maisie Fantasie's. Amazingly, May Clee-Cadman invited us into her home for a cake-tasting menu not to be forgotten. While there, I laid eyes on a copy of her book, Sweet and Simple Party Cakes. As a consolation prize to not being the one getting married, May gifted me with a copy of the book. I am now on my third cake making recipe of hers. Her directions are instructive, yet casual and very easy to follow. And while my frosting never turns out as smoothly as hers and my cakes never as even (I must admit I drink while I bake), the taste is remarkably similar to May's actual cakes and just as delicious. I don't see myself being a cake baking competitor any time soon, but I will forever be a fan of Maisie Fantasie and any book May Clee-Cadman writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Cakes! Wonderful Book!, 24 Jun 2008
Having already experienced May Clee Cadman's fabulous cakes I was of course drawn to her book which is as beautiful as her cakes. The instructions are clearly presented and I've already made one of her simpler cakes and the result was not baaad! All my friends were sooooo impressed. Thank you to May for sharing her skills with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars tried and tested, 24 Aug 2013
I cannot understand why anyone would rubbish this book because I bought this book last year and I baked my daughters 2 tier wedding cake using one of the recipes. It was lovely and the quests all complimented me on it. The designs are good also. I would recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Simple Party Cakes, 30 July 2009
Julie Murphy (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on the recommedation of other readers and was very glad that I did. It's an ideal book for someone with no cake decorating knowledge as it explains everything simply but would also benefit others with some knowledge and experience to try to expand their skills. Full of beautiful insipiring photographs that make you want to have a go instead of feeling intimidated! Only one small criticism is that there's no madeira cake recipe (but a number of other yummy ones!)

4.0 out of 5 stars 10" ROUND FRUIT CAKE RECIPE, 2 Nov 2009
I borrowed this book from the library & loved it, so I then purchased it from Amazon. I have only ever made novelty birthday cakes for my grandchildren but when my daughter-in-law asked me to make her & my son's wedding cake I needed further help & guidance which I found in this book. In fact Louise chose the front cover cake but with lime green decoration & lime green roses on the top tier. I also made it a 3 tier. I couldn't have done it without this book.
However, I wasn't happy when I discovered the error in the amount of fruit in the 10" round cake because I had already baked it & suspected there was a problem because it rose above the top edge of the tin & there was a slight dip in the centre. It was at this point that I discovered the error in the recipe. Every one said it would be ok & foolishly I listened to them. It wasn't a total disaster but neither was it perfect. The centre is very moist but crumbles so it's impossible to cut a slice which holds its own but it is delicious.
I e-mailed May Clee-Cadman at Maisie Fantaisie only to be told that the error had been discovered & the book re-printed. This was last year though & I only bought the book a couple of months ago. She didn't tell me the correct amount of fruit so I e-mailed her again after the wedding & asked why the incorrect edition was still on sale without an amendment notice in the book. Ms Clee-Cadman said she would ask her publisher's & quoted the correct amount of fruit for this recipe. A couple of days later I received another e-mail from her correcting her correction. So, the weight of fruit for this cake recipe is 1590g.
I e-mailed her publisher's 'David & Charles' a week ago but they haven't had the manners to reply.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, pretty and cheerful designs, 13 Oct 2008
A very 'girly' style cake book, with plenty of colour, ruffles and prettiness... Most of the designs are pretty foolproof and so would suit beginners or amateur bakers very well, but are useful for professionals too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cake Book Which is Right on Target, 12 Aug 2008
This is a fantastic book. I ordered it on a chance that the cake on the cover would be the setting for the entire book and it is. all of the designs are modern, fun and simple, just how cakes should be. These are truly beautiful designs that are easily achieved by a beginner as well as a professional. I make cakes for a living and I can see this book being well thumbed by my customers and well used by me. Lovely fresh designs depicting the style that celebration cakes are taking right now. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 23 Jun 2008
My husband just bought me this book and it's delightful. The pictures are beautiful and I think the designs are fresh, new and elegant. I particularly like the clear and simple instructions. Perfect for budding cake makers everywhere!

Sweet and Simple Party Cakes: Over 40 Pretty Cakes for Perfect Celebrations