on 30 July 2008
This book is brilliant. The exercises are explained simply and the diagrams are very clear on how to do each exercise. I have a keen interest in natural horsemanship and this is a good introduction. I will be starting at the beginning and working my way through the book. A definite must have.
on 17 April 2012
This book is nicely written with clear diagrams. It has step by step instructions on how to have a better communication with your horse. In my opinion, you would probably benefit more by also having at least one basic lesson with someone who teaches natural horsemanship.
I wanted to my horse to have a bit more respect for me, as he can occassionally be bargy, i.e. he tends to take me where he wants to go...usually to a big patch of lush grass!!! I saw this book having heard of natural horsemanship, and tried some of the basic exercises. The desensitising excercises I seemed to do with no problem. Then I tried the walking back by nose touch..no problem, then the walk back from a distance. He just stood there. In the problem solving bit it says increase your energy, which I did and he ended up rearing up, and then he was stamping his front foot. This took me by surprise as he is normally really placid apart from dragging me to grass.
Thinking I was creating more of a monster, I decided to have a lesson with a parelli horsemanship instructor. She explained what his body language was saying to me, which this book didn't.
Earlier I said the desensitising seemed to go ok as he just stood still. My instructor said yes, he is standing still, however, how he was holding himself was in a way to say "I'm tolerating what you're doing but I'm not over joyed by it!" The book doesn't pick out these important points.
Overall, a nice book, but I would use it as a continuation of actually having a lesson from an expert.
on 8 December 2008
This book is really helpful and takes you by the hand and leads you via easy to follow directions and photographs or drawings through the ways that Rio has achieved such a high level of horsemanship and a wonderful relationship with her horse. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to have a closer relationship with their horse so that they can work towards thinking 'as one'.
on 4 June 2010
I volunteer fo a horse sanctuary in Devon and we have a natural horsemanship trainer down on a regular basis, but inbetween sessions this book is great for giving us new ideas!
on 11 January 2011
The ground exercises in this book have certainly been very helpful in working with my young, unschooled and cocky 7 year old gelding. The barginess has almost gone and he is much better behaved altogether, although, as Rio says, you have to keep at it.
on 27 July 2011
This is a wonderful book! It describes step by step how to teach your horse to communicate. It also tells you many important and useful things about techniques. I have practised a lot of it so far.
It has made my time with my horses so much fun! I'm glad that I read it because it has helped me very much. A really good book about horsemanship, one of the best.
on 5 January 2013
This book has many exercises which are very informative with diagrams and for a complete novice like myself are just what I needed. Have used several of the exercises already and have achieved results quickly. A very good buy.
on 27 November 2012
Great book, it was my saviour when I couldn't ride and has made such a huge difference to my horse
And our relationship, incredible! Rio Jarrett explains everything easily and the pictures are easy to follow.
on 11 October 2011
A really good book to get started with, plenty of diagrammes and easy to use. It has a lot of information which also makes sense regarding to horses behaviour overall a fantastic product.
on 11 May 2014
I am a keen follower of natural horsemanship and this book offers lots of useful and beneficial, clearly explained and illustarted exercises (both on the ground and in the saddle). The book has an intreresting introduction explaining the principles and foundations of natural horsemanship and the presentation of exercises follows a clear progression from the more basic to the more advanced ones. I really enjoy doing these exercises with my two horses (one of them a 3 year old who is having a good start by going through all the basics thanks to this book).