5.0 out of 5 stars Informative book on filters
I bought this book a few weeks ago to give me a better insight into the use of filters with digital photography.

The book is very informative and is based in two sections. The first section deals with filters such as ND filters, Polarizing filters, Close up filters etc; The information was invaluable to assisting in obtaining better photographs.

The...
Published on 28 Nov 2008 by D. K. Cain

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much post photograph production
This book places too much emphasis on post production filtration and not enough on time of shooting filtration. I was specifically looking for help with ND grads and ND hard grads and the big stopper, with specific information on stops etc and I found this book did not offer enough information on this particular topic.
Published on 10 Oct 2011 by Helen Dee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative book on filters, 28 Nov 2008
D. K. Cain "Danny Cain" (Morepth, Northumberland. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photographer's Guide to Filters: The Complete Guide to Hardware and Software Filtration (Paperback)

The second section deals with computer filtration with photoshop etc; This again was a very infromative section.

At the end of the book there's a useful section on web sites for camera products and what companies specialize in what goods.

Overall a very good book that I will often refer to for assistance.

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Photographers Guide to Filters, 26 Feb 2009
Mr. Richard Lewis (Horsforth, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an Excellent Book for anyone wanting to take the step into the world of Photographic Filters...

I had already loaned a similar book from my local library and searched for it on Amazon but it pre-dated Digital and the search suggested this newer version so I took a chance on this one instead, When I received the book I was pleased that it met with my expectations, in my spare time I teach Digital Photography so use books like this to structure my teaching material.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much post photograph production, 10 Oct 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 2 Jun 2009
This is just one excellent book. I have also bought the authors other books, Digital Macro Photography and The digital Exposure Handbook. They are both excellent and I would recomend them to all photographers wether they are Pro's or not Pro's as they are just so easy to understand and filled with info and tips. I just hope that the author keeps on writting as I will keep on buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable resource, 5 Aug 2008
I. Abraham - See all my reviews
I found this book extremely useful for finding out about the range of filters available and what they all do, pros and cons etc. There are lots of stunning photos so you can see the effects of each filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - easy to understand three types of filters, 30 Mar 2011
I bought this book as I was on a digital photography course at night school and beginning to get confused about different types of filters. The book is laid out in three sections, covering filters inside the camera (white balance), external filters and filters available in enhancement software.
The book really explained what each type of filter does, demonstrating with 'before and after' photos to help understand how they work. It gives the pros and cons of filters, how they affect the F-Stop, what to look out for and what options are available depending on your budget.
As I read this book the difficult subject of filters became much easier to understand. The book is well laid out with a good combination of text, photos and tips on each page, I did not feel I was wading through too much technical stuff to understand how filters work.
I now find that I have more confidence in purchasing and using filters, especially internal and within the software, my photographs are improving as a result.
I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for digital photographers, 6 May 2010
D. Hollamby "DavidH" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
In my view this is the best value book on the market - Perfect for digital photographers. A good bed-time read if you want to read non-fiction for a change!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to using filters and software, 16 Mar 2012
Mr. Richard The book boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Filters by Ross Hoddinott
I bought this book because it covers both filters you put in front of the lens and the different filter effects that can be done with most photo editing software. In a way it's two books in one and both sections have proved very useful. The book is only 144 pages long so is really an introduction to using filters and software but there is plenty here to make you experiment with light. The section on the various filter types and brands was helpful and a bit of work on EBay got me a large set of Cokin filters, adapters etc. I find the graduated ones are really useful and keep them with me all the time now and have many nice skies that would otherwise had been burnt out or flat. The book has got me going and it is really worth the extra time it takes and to use filters where possible.
The section on software filtration techniques is useful as most modern editing packages come with many options and again this book has got me experimenting with the multitude of effects that are out there. My only criticism of the book is that it tries to do too much in the number of pages available but it does get you into using filters and in this way it has been very successful for me. The audience for this book, in my opinion, is really enthusiastic amateurs who need a bit of guidance and encouragement to use filters and experiment with software processing. The book is full of nice examples of what can be achieved and is written in a semi technical way but is very easy to understand, much like any other photography book really. It would be nice to have a book a step above this to take your journey into some of the more technical aspects of filtration now that I have seen the need for filters. All in all a good introduction to the subject and an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 3 Jan 2014
Covers polarizing, neutral, graduated, close up, soft focus, correction, enhancement and special effects all backed up with some stunning photographs

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful information., 5 July 2011
Stormbringer (Wolverhampton, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This has to be one of the most informative books that I've read on any subject.
The information is presented in a very easy to understand style, even to a relative newcomer like me, but should also appeal to the more experienced.
The subjects include which filters you need for what. Which filters you don't need because of the advances in digital cameras. Making some of your own filters, and filtration techniques using your computer software.
My photographs have improved already from reading this, and there are still lots of tips and effects I have yet to explore.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›