5.0 out of 5 stars My wife thinks it's great
I bought this as a birthday present for my wife, she is very pleased with it so I take that to mean it was a very good buy.
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by P. D. Willetts

3.0 out of 5 stars Sew... who exactly is this for?
This is a nicely produced book, with good photographs and very clear instructions: so far, so good (no pun intended). There is a good range of projects and some nice-looking ideas. And Sally Southern seems to have a skilled eye for colour, making fabrics work together and designing embellishments...

BUT (and it's a big BUT), I feel that some of the techniques...
Published on 16 July 2010 by E. J. Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars Sew... who exactly is this for?, 16 July 2010
E. J. Marshall (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sew Many Bags, Sew Little Time: Over 30 Simply Stylish Bags and Accessories (Paperback)

BUT (and it's a big BUT), I feel that some of the techniques she uses verge beyond quick to almost slapdash. Using glue to stick down ribbon, and gluing applique with bondaweb, without further reinforcing the edges with stitching, for example. The ribbon used to hold the handles onto one bag doesn't look as though it would last five minutes.

As a result, many of the projects look superficially pretty but on closer inspection they are scruffy and poorly finished. (I would be embarrassed by the puckered bias binding and the (apparently unintentional) frayed edges, but then I may be too much of a perfectionist.) I wonder how many would stand up to repeated use in real life? And some projects rely on being able to find rather obscure things like striped resin handles.

All of which makes me wonder who this book is for? Beginners might find the projects simple to make, but could well be put off by the shoddy results they achieve. More experienced sewers would baulk at the short-cuts and, as an experienced sewer myself, I would get rather frustrated at having to effectively 're-engineer' many of the projects. Nice eye candy though!

3.0 out of 5 stars some poor finishing, 16 Oct 2008
K. R. Moore (Ireland) - See all my reviews
The title is an accurate reflection of this book. There are a good number of easily achievable projects and there are a lot of shortcuts suggested to save time. However, some of the shortcuts, for example using double-sided sticky tape (that doesn't hold braid very well) and highly visible seams (instead of working inside out), can be seen not to work well as some of the finishing in the book's own photographs looks very shoddy. I will still use this book as it does have some very good tips regarding alternative materials, such as table mats and PVC coated fabric, but I will use better techniques to make my pieces. If you are the kind of person that likes to churn out projects quickly and don't mind the finishing, you would probably give this book 5 stars. I like my home-made pieces to be extremely well-finished, to be for keepers, rather than disposable crafts or fads.

2.0 out of 5 stars My vote is: 5 / 10, 4 Mar 2011
Veronica D'antonio (Italy) - See all my reviews
I confess that this book has not met my favor, despite the interesting premises.
I found several models rather unlikely, some nice but I would never have the courage to carry around and others feasible, but none that has "lit the lamp" and made me want to do it now.
The choice of materials did not meet my personal taste too.
The explanations are quite detailed and well illustrated.
The patterns are at the end of the book and must be enlarged to be able to use life-size 1:1.
Packaging is cured but the use of different font makes reading a bit confused.
Suitable for beginners in making the bags but having a little familiarity with the sewing machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful and well designed book, 11 July 2011
This is my second book on handbags making and I like it very much. It has a very nice design, simple and understandable instructions and it is modern and a bit vintage at the same time. I can not wait for my hioliday to find more time for sewing, following instructions from this useful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sew many bags, 29 Mar 2011
Sew Many Bags, Sew Little Time: Over 30 Simply Stylish Bags and Accessories
This is a fantastic book with many great ideas, once i can get to enlarge the patterns i have just got to find the time to make all the things i want.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife thinks it's great, 6 Nov 2010
P. D. Willetts (England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Sew Many Bags., 29 Dec 2012
Quite a good book. If you are a beginner it can be a touch confusing and some of the bags needed more explanation on how to get them done. Would recommend it if you're a little more experienced at sewing than a complete beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer, 4 Jan 2012
I was extremely impressed with the presentation and content of this book.
I'm new to craft work and had looked at several books and found this one
to have all the relevant information which I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sew many bags sew little time, 21 Aug 2009
Lovely book of bags to make and decorate and ideas for makes from the oddments you have left over.There isn't one of the bags I wouldn't want to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars sew many bags so little time, 3 Feb 2013
sew many bags so little time. large selection of bags - for all ages and abilities. Liked the denim one best.

Sew Many Bags, Sew Little Time: Over 30 Simply Stylish Bags and Accessories