5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding photography will never be as daunting again...
Published on 13 Mar 2007 by D. Featherstone

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 12 July 2009 by Terje Myller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding photography will never be as daunting again..., 13 Mar 2007
D. Featherstone (UK) - See all my reviews
If you are serious about your photography, it won't be long before someone in the family or close friend pops you the inevitable question..."Would you photograph my forthcoming wedding?" It has happened to me on numerous occassions. I wouldn't place this book into the complete beginner's category regarding photography itself, but it is a Godsend to anyone who has never photographed a wedding. Hundreds of tips and superb photographs throughout the pages will give you an incentive to say "Yes" to your first wedding or indeed your 21st. The book covers everything from meeting the couple for the very first time, traditional and reportage photography, to designing the album using latest Digital technology. There is also a chapter on marketing your business for the up and coming professional. I have several books on wedding photography and this may sound like an old cliche, but mark my word, this is definitely the best read you will ever get on the subject. I simply couldn't put it down once I had turned the first page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfussy and elegant, 15 May 2007
I loved it. About the right size, with good structure and excellent tutorials for the amateur. Having done lots of photography but never a wedding, I loved it. Most photographs are very stylish, some of them even original. Unpretentious and unfussy, it appeals to most tastes of wedding photography, and the style of writing is pleasant. A good format to show good photographs on good quality paper, and pleasant to browse for ideas, too.

I look forward to shooting my first wedding, and this book definitely helped.

It also contains good (but short)info on how to set up editing marketing one's images. Nice entry-level book for the ambitious amateur.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own!, 19 July 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
I have several books on wedding photography - and this is out there in a class of its own! I can't recommend it highly enough.

Very readable, packed with beautiful and inspiring images - but much more importantly it exudes an effortless confidence and also the wisdom that can only be gathered from the years of experience the writers have had at the top of the wedding photography profession. The tips and advice they have condensed between the covers of this book are relevant, well explained and convey a real passion for what they do.

I also like that it doesn't get distracted with general photographic advice or technicalities but focuses 100% on how to create stunning photographic stories of a couple's wedding day. It's up to date, fresh and a true inspiration.

My other wedding photography books will now be gathering dust!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 July 2009
Terje Myller (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
Unfortunately for this book, I bought Digital Wedding Photography by Glen Johnson at the same time. In Johnson's book I get to learn that there are roughly three wedding photography styles, Traditional wedding photography (lots of formal poses), Photojournalistic-style (unwrapping the story), and Portrait journalism (leaning toward fashion styles). I wouldn't know from this book. Even more interesting, each style generate a different business model, Johnson shows me. But I learn nothing about these important matters from this book, which seems to be unaware of any style other than the one that the writers prefer. The business aspect is after all an important part of it, but this book only has a very short chapter at the end about it, less than two pages of text (and six pages with generic pictures). Sure, there are many good advices spread around, hardly surprising considering that the writers have a ton of experience, but the book is simply too narrow in scope. There are many good pictures here as well, but a surprising number are mediocre, in my view. Also a bit annoying that the writers feel the need to brag; "award-winning photo", "this photo has won numerous awards", "this is a beautiful image", "this photo has the contemporary but timeless quality that has become her signature", and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
I'm a serious amateur photographer and people are just starting to entrust me with their wedding photography which feels a bit daunting. This is really great book for people like me who have just about enough grasp of the technical side of photography but need the ideas and inspiration to set about doing something really special for the bride, groom, and everyone else at the wedding. I shall be nicking these ideas shamelessly - a really worthwhile purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional wedding photography, 18 May 2009
Erik Norgaard - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
This book is about professional wedding photography, covers the whole process a professional wedding photographer will go through from the first meeting with the client to the final product. It's about getting to know the client, what the client expects and how to meet the demands.

There are few photographic tips, in fact, I only recall one: Big groups of people should be photographed from an elevated point of view to avoid anyone being hidden behind somebody else. Then a few mandatory photoshop tricks. And that's it.

Don't buy this book because you expect to learn about photography, buy it to learn how to get the job done in a professional manner. This book is for professional wannabees, and that's great if you're one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, 25 May 2008
Mrs. K. Shaw - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
As a keen amateur photographer I have been second shooter on a couple of weddings for a friend of mine who is a pro and I found this book really useful. Full of great hints and tips that can easily be put into practice, even with my limited experience!! Julie & Steve are two extremely knowledgable & talented photographers having won multiple awards between them so they know what they are talking about. They are also thoroughly nice people ..... I have been lucky enough to meet them on a number of occasions as they took my wedding photographs 3 years ago and a fantastic job they made of them too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 9 Aug 2007
S. M. Hagget "Steve Hagget" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
This is a fine wedding book. It is the most clearly organised and simply, useful, of all the wedding books I have read. The photography is consistently good throughout and it is modern without being overtly so. I very much enjoyed reading it and it provides an excellent, balanced guide to wedding photographer for photographers of all standards. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A wedding photography textbook - definately!, 11 Jun 2009
Peter Bolton (Essex, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
I am an experienced professional photographer covering everything except weddings. I am now! - I needed to learn fast, and to get directly to the information I need to break into this competitive field of photography. This book tells all from A-Z. The book is well laid out and divided into manageable sections
each including (as you'd expect) great photographs to illustrate the points. That together with lots of hints and tips make this a superb 'text book' on the business of contemporary wedding photography. Not a book for beginners, but definately a recommendation for everyone else.

Peter Bolton

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 20 Aug 2008
This review is from: Contemporary Wedding Photography (Paperback)
this book is a very good book to read.
it is simple to understand with lots of pictures to give you ideas for shooting your own wedding.
as i am new to the scene i found the book very useful.
im not much of reader but found myself not being able to put the book down.
i would recommend this to anyone who is interested in doing wedding photography.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Contemporary Wedding Photography
Contemporary Wedding Photography by Steve Walton (Paperback - 31 Aug 2007)
10.05